Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Anyone Heard of This Book?
Has Anyone Heard of This Book?
A long time ago, I owned a good sci-fi book. I was really young when I read it, so I didn't understand it very well. Now that I'm older, I realize it actually seems like a pretty good book with moral points, so I'm trying to find it. But I can't remember the name, or author, or anything. I tended not to care about memorizing titles back then. Lol. I can barely remember anything about the plot.

At some point in the future, mankind entered a golden age of technology in which they were able to colonize various foreign planets. Planets which couldn't be inhabited by humans, they created cloned, inhuman variants to send there.
Then, conservative extremist groups, angered by "evil" scientific advancement and inhumans, essentially destroyed the planet with nuclear weapons or something.
The colonies were isolated. Those that were able to survive lost contact and technology, and began to develop unique cultures.
I think the book takes place a few hundred years later, after several of the colonies start to re-create ancient technology and head back into the galaxy to re-find each other. By this time, each inhuman (and human) race has become very distinct, with differing ideals, technologies, beliefs and conflicting cultures.
The plot starts when a genetically-engineered supervirus starts wiping out the newly re-united inhumans and humans. The characters are from various species, and they try to work together to figure out who created the virus and stop it before it kills everyone.
It turns out that the creator of the virus is the original (presumed to be extinct) human race from Earth, which has, like the colonies, recovered from near-destruction. Earth is a massive theocracy controlled by religious fanatics who now want to exterminate organic/genetic science and diversity in their former colonies. (Many of which range from agnostic to atheistic.) And the colonies have to choose sides and unite to survive and destroy Earth. Again.

Does anyone know any books that sound like this one? I haven't been able to find anything on google about it, but I'd really like to read it again.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  De-Pluralize A Film, Book, etc BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1067 September 18, 2022 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1656 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 504 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You guys heard of Turo? ignoramus 21 1413 December 10, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Have you heard the good news? Martian Mermaid 44 4712 January 23, 2018 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8588 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Recipe Book BrokenQuill92 6 1418 November 13, 2017 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Like to read? Book review thread! mediocrates 13 2170 May 16, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  A Way to Support Me FREE Book Offer Rhondazvous 9 2604 March 14, 2017 at 3:13 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Have you heard of a PIECAKEN??????? MrsTRich 21 2460 November 17, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Joods