Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like to read? Book review thread!
Like to read? Book review thread!
I did a (less than thorough) search for something like this and came up empty.  Maybe I could have tried harder as my name implies...  

Anyway, I've always enjoyed reading, but not carrying books (or paying lots of money for them...)  I recently got a kindle and now I always have my entire library with me without destroying my back (and kindle edition books are much cheaper too!)  The point of this thread is to briefly discuss/review books you've read that you found to be worth sharing. Anything will do: fiction or not, science, history, religion (not the bible; I already know about that one), anything that's good!

I'll get started with a few...

Right now I'm a little more than halfway through "The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution" By Richard Dawkins
This is a fascinating read about our origins as a species.  It begins with present day humans and progresses in reverse chronological order up the branches of our evolutionary family tree meeting with other species and hearing their unique stories along the way.  It's a long book though; I've been reading it in parallel with other things when it suits me.  I have found it informative and it has increased my understanding of evolution.

I just finished the first 4 of the Ender's books by Orson Scott Card.  
I'm not specifically talking about "Ender's Game"; that one can stand alone and is not what I want to mention here.  It's the next 3 that I found to be more enjoyable.  "Speaker  for the Dead", "Xenocide", and "Children of the Mind"... These 3 together tell a story of "the difficult relationship between humans and [an alien species they are studying]" and Ender's attempts to stop the killing of the species out of fear and misunderstanding.  There are many books in the "Enderverse" and it is my intention to read more of them.

I also recently read "The Martian" By Andy Weir (on paper though; just before my kindle purchase) 
This one tells the story of Mark Watney as he finds himself marooned on Mars and the challenges he faces to try to survive long enough to be rescued.  The science presented in the story is mostly accurate; although, there are a couple of details fudged to move the story along.  The film adaptation is quite good too; but, condensing it to typical theatrical length necessarily cut short some of the plot lines that are explored more thoroughly in the book... Books are almost always superior.

Some that are coming up on my list in no particular order...
"The Greatest Story Ever Told-So Far" by Lawrence M. Krauss
"Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith
"God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens

Anyway, run with this.  Anything you've read that was good... From "Dick and Jane" to "The Art of Electronics" anything that was worthy.
RE: Like to read? Book review thread!
I read hundreds of books in my youth, but I can never find the time to read anymore.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I love this thread! I'm going to re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series in anticipation of the new movie coming out soon. I've been in the Middle of reading "The Night Circus" for awhile now, but have been distracted by study. I'll be finishing it this week. It's a fantastic Indie book, if I remember correctly.
(May 15, 2017 at 11:55 am)Shell B Wrote: I love this thread! I'm going to re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series in anticipation of the new movie coming out soon. I've been in the Middle of reading "The Night Circus" for awhile now, but have been distracted by study. I'll be finishing it this week. It's a fantastic Indie book, if I remember correctly.

I've read all the dark tower books at least once... some of them several times! It's a great story by a great storyteller!

I'm thinking about re-reading "The Stand" too...
I can go on a rant about The Inheritance Cycle, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games if ya want... or gush about the Temeraire Series...
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(May 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: I can go on a rant about The Inheritance Cycle, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games if ya want... or gush about the Temeraire Series...

The Hunger Games trilogy is on my list... 

Along similar lines, I've read the Divergent trilogy and a few other shorts that came out related to it.  I can say that, as the story progresses, the movies become more and more divergent from the books...
The Dominic Green Ant and Cleo books fill a Terry Pratchett hole in my reading plan.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/74569-ant-and-cleo

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Here's a list of books I've read more than once, to give you an idea of what I think is worth reading.

"The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King

"The Stand" by Stephen King

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen (read this as a funny social commentary, as she intended)

"The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

"Interview with a Vampire" by Anne Rice

"The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice (these are both lessons in why some writers really should edit their own work. She's quite good at it)

All of the Harry Potter books. I've read every single one of them multiple times.

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

I've read a lot of H.G. Wells books twice, same for Kurt Vonnegutt.
(May 15, 2017 at 2:45 pm)Shell B Wrote: Here's a list of books I've read more than once, to give you an idea of what I think is worth reading.

"Fahrenheit 451" is currently on my short list

I think "interview with the vampire" should get added to my list!

I've read the first hitchhickers guide and I have the complete HH guide on my kindle AND on paper! I need to go read the whole thing... immediately if not sooner.

Orwell is good... "1984" and "Animal Farm" are pretty much required reading
I know people aren't going to like this, but I only liked 1984. I found Animal Farm . . . annoying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  De-Pluralize A Film, Book, etc BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1096 September 18, 2022 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 684 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1720 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  My reply to the Human Life Review. Jehanne 18 1159 August 28, 2021 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 650 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4139 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  What are you reading/was the last thing you read? KevinM1 4 896 April 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Most Important Post You'll Read Today BrianSoddingBoru4 4 683 March 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8675 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Recipe Book BrokenQuill92 6 1451 November 13, 2017 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama