Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art Deco
Art Deco
Summerqueen has a thread on steampunk. Me? I prefer Art Deco.

[Image: 1930s-Art-Deco-Henderson-Motorcycle.jpg]

...I just came a little.

The architectural, aesthetic, and artistic design of art deco is probably the most iconic bit of style for the US, or rather, one of the most, second only to greco-roman architecture [which is pervasive in all our government buildings]. It can be applied even to this day to just about anything to give it an instantaneously classy look.

[Image: Aerodyne_Art_Deco_Mini_PC_02.jpg]

That is a fully modern computer. I am not joking. I AM, however, excessively jealous of whoever owns one.

It's worth noting that this particular style is the style-theme for series such as Fallout and Batman [particularly the Animated Series].

[Image: streamline_tn.jpg]

...I need to change my boxers.
RE: Art Deco
(March 21, 2012 at 4:57 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Summerqueen has a thread on steampunk. Me? I prefer Art Deco.

Want.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Just fallen in lust. I adore Art Deco!! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 21, 2012 at 5:32 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(March 21, 2012 at 4:57 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Summerqueen has a thread on steampunk. Me? I prefer Art Deco.

Want.

Want so bad. *drools over* I would make love to that bike. Sweet, sweet, unnatural machine-human-relations love. Allll night long.

KichigaiNeko Wrote:Just fallen in lust. I adore Art Deco!!

I absolutely love it. The sleekness of its aesthetics, the retro-futuristic styling of it is just sultry.[/quote]

Speaking of Art Deco motorcycles....

Here is the Megola,built in Germany as a production vehicle in the '20's

[Image: PHOTO_13885003_29029_2322265_ap.jpg]

Look at where the engine is locatedBig Grin

And here is how you start one...

And what a glorious noise it makes.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I find that with all Art Deco.

Where did we (as a species) go wrong?? What stopped it??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
This is my favorite tribute to Art Deco:

[Image: 3-the-abominable-dr-phibes-1971.jpg]

DR. PHIBES!!!!

If you've not seen this scream of a Vincent Price movie, you're missing out. It's as bad as Army of Darkness, much more quietly funny and just as ridiculous.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 21, 2012 at 6:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I find that with all Art Deco.

Where did we (as a species) go wrong?? What stopped it??

WWII. :/ Another reason to hate Hitler. Its death started because it became popular; people started to think it was 'gaudy' and projected false-luxury [oh no, not false luxury, we can't have THAT... 9_9 ], but WWII effectively ended it, though it's experienced a resurgence in the last thirty years and has been picked up again as a retro style.

[Image: Lempicka_musician.jpg]

Temera de Lempicka; "The Musician." THIS is an example of the art style, and damn it's gorgeous.

@Zen: I spent like 20 seconds looking for the engine. Then I looked at the wheel. My face is still hurting from the grin that split it. That is fucking AWESOME.
(March 21, 2012 at 7:02 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: This is my favorite tribute to Art Deco:

DR. PHIBES!!!!

If you've not seen this scream of a Vincent Price movie, you're missing out.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes is quite hilarious.

Quote: It's as bad as Army of Darkness, much more quietly funny and just as ridiculous.

Bad? BAD!!???!!!
Cunt
(March 21, 2012 at 7:02 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: This is my favorite tribute to Art Deco:

DR. PHIBES!!!!

If you've not seen this scream of a Vincent Price movie, you're missing out. It's as bad as Army of Darkness, much more quietly funny and just as ridiculous.

GOD DAMMIT YES.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1277 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1218 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2143 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1056 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5548 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 522 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 351 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 498 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Foxaèr 5 568 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6396 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir