Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Predjudice in School towards atheists
Predjudice in School towards atheists
Hello fellow debaters and defenders of Atheism, My name is Adam, (ironic I know).
I am a teenager that lives in a southern rural town. In my town, of only 4000 people, there are twenty-three different churches. As you can tell it is a town pretty much based on religion.
I, myself, am an atheist for my own reasons that I will save for a different thread. Being an atheist openly and proudly in this town isn't easy, I’m bullied at school, looked down on by most adults, and worst of all, not taken seriously in any discussion.
I believe that if had said to the kids at school that I actually had a religion, be it even Buddhism they wouldn't care and would leave me alone.
So my question is this, what is it about atheism that puts people up in arms, although they stay neutral and find it offensive to poke fun at an actual "religion."
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
RE: Predjudice in School towards atheists
(March 25, 2012 at 2:43 am)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote: defenders of Atheism

Atheism needs no defense. Apologetics are for religions. Why are you using a large font? Do you think we all have vision problems or are you shouting?
(March 25, 2012 at 2:48 am)Phil Wrote:

Atheism needs no defense. Apologetics are for religions. Why are you using a large font? Do you think we all have vision problems or are you shouting?

All things are in need of defense in a debate good sir.
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
(March 25, 2012 at 2:50 am)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote:

After that stupid answer, I am sure you are either a Christian fucktard in disguise (which would be a sin in your bible) or just an asshole.
(March 25, 2012 at 2:55 am)Phil Wrote:

After that stupid answer, I am sure you are either a Christian fucktard in disguise (which would be a sin in your bible) or just an asshole.

There is no need for laguage sir, please accept my apology for whatever I have done to you. I know you are upset, but there is no reason to be hasty with your words
Shouting isn't one of them WIGwJAM.

Quote: what is it about atheism that puts people up in arms, although they stay neutral and find it offensive to poke fun at an actual "religion."

As far as I understand it; these people are of the opinion that if one does NOT believe in a deity then said deity ceases to exist. Or retribution will be visited on the "believers" for allowing your disbelief.

Another point is that being the 'good little slaves that they are'...should one even question the master one is going to bring dire consequences on the whole. Elitism also plays a very strong motif in the espousal of xtianity (irrelevant of sect) and mostly boils down to "my deity is a bigger dick than your deity= I am so much better than you for believing in my preferred deity {insert sect/cult here}"

It has nothing to do with morality, justice, brotherly love or "turning the other cheek" as much as most xtians like to think it is. It is essentially an "Us v Them" syndrome/ mentality that humanity has yet to extricate itself from.
my 2c :S
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 25, 2012 at 3:01 am)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote:
(March 25, 2012 at 2:55 am)Phil Wrote:

There is no need for laguage sir, please accept my apology for whatever I have done to you. I know you are upset, but there is no reason to be hasty with your words

Nice of you to clear up the question and show us you are a Christian fucktard.
Where do you get that he's a christian or a fucktard, Phil? I don't get that at all. Atheism does have a defense, whether it needs one or not. It sounds to me like he is just coming in here with a serious question, and has been nothing but polite thus far.

As for the OP- assuming that you're genuine,

That's a rough situation. I think it's super cool of you to think for yourself and not be afraid to own who you are. In a town like that, especially, it takes guts to do that.

When you're young adult, life sucks because you don't have much control over your own life and, on top of all that, being super mature for your age is the most difficult. You have serious thoughts that wouldn't be taken seriously no matter what they were, especially ones that many find disagreeable. It's not right, but unfortunately, that's how it often is.

Atheism is so inflammatory because people of faith have weak faith. When someones beliefs/lack of beliefs counter their own, they feel attacked, naturally. Any adult who would look down on you for your personal opinions is wrong to do so, and should do what they can to help defend you from bullies- no matter what.

You don't pay any of those fools any attention. Get through school with the best grades and the best attitude possible. Get the hell out of there and go kick ass in some more awesome part of the world. Success is the best revenge. Keep your head up. There's no point in arguing with them, and you don't have to discuss your personal disbelief with everyone. I know that can be hard to do, especially when stupid shit flies out of people's pie holes, but you could always hold it in.. then you could come rant about it here... and rant at anonymous internet theists.

Smile Welcome to the forums.

I'm going to assume that you are in the U.S. because here in England it would most certainly be the exact opposite. Any child saying that they were a Christian and they have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal saviour would be looked on as if they were some kind of weird freakish thing, certainly in the school I went to and my son now goes to.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Find a college near Dar and go there!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 446 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5292 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2152 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Excell high school fake or not fake viocjit 13 1549 February 4, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat? Angrboda 14 1312 October 29, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1140 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  My boring thread: An update on school Joods 93 10477 May 2, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Can I get some help with school Heat 48 8066 December 21, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Lucasfilm's insane attitudes towards "piracy" Aractus 5 1584 December 3, 2015 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Problems in school piterski123 19 3061 October 18, 2015 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Alex K