Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Updates
Security Updates
As a computer security professional, I know that security on the internet is very important. This applies even more so today, with the disclosure of programs like PRISM and the UK's apparent wire-tapping of international fibre-optic cables.

For the last year, Atheist Forums has supported encrypted SSL connections. Whilst using this connection, all content that travels between your computer and the Atheist Forums server is encrypted and should be secret.

To use this connection, all you have to do is change the http:// at the start of the URL to https:// or simply click this link. I have written a script which should automatically detect whether you are using this connection, and alter all forum links accordingly (so you don't click on a forum link which takes you back to the regular connection). There are some limitations to this script, but I'm working them out.

That said, SSL is a nightmare to set up correctly. There are a number of configuration options that are subject to various security weaknesses, and a lot of sites will just use the insecure default settings, leaving their users with some level of security, but not a decent level of security. Since I understand SSL quite well, I've spent a number of hours configuring it so that we have an almost perfect score on Qualys SSL Labs (very good automated testing tool).

One thing that I have configured recently is Forward Secrecy. With our old SSL configuration, communication between a user and the server was secure, but if someone intercepted the encrypted data and managed to compromise the server, they could decrypt the data very easily. Of course, we don't expect someone to compromise the server, but with Forward Secrecy enabled, your encrypted communications will be protected even if at some point in the future, the server is compromised.

I have tested the connection in all major modern browsers and it seems to work fine, but please report any issues if you see them.

- Tiberius
RE: Security Updates
[Image: BAsaBZJ.jpg]
So.... if I send a post to the forum the CIA cannot intercept it because its encrypted? But, if they wait a microsecond they can read it on the forum in plain English?
(July 10, 2013 at 7:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So.... if I send a post to the forum the CIA cannot intercept it because its encrypted? But, if they wait a microsecond they can read it on the forum in plain English?
Posts they can obviously read, but not private messages, things you might post in restricted forums, your password, etc. Plenty of things that you enter on these forums are private and shouldn't be intercepted by anyone.
I guess I just don't think that the authorities would feel I was all that interesting.

Big Grin
My server... which uses a bogus free certificate and gets no traffic, apart from myself... and has everything on default... got rated F, unless we ignore the "trust issues" (which arise from the bogus free certificate - And I do trust myself).... then I get an A:
- Protocol support: 90%
- Key Exchange: 80%
- Cipher Strength: 90%

Not too far from AF.org's 95%; 90%, 90% Tongue
Come on Tib! You should do much better than my fully default Apache server with SSL! Tongue

On another note: it's good to know that you care! Smile
Keep it up!
I could configure SSL to get 100% in all fields, but then it would be unusable by most web browsers.
(July 11, 2013 at 5:54 am)pocaracas Wrote: My server... which uses a bogus free certificate and gets no traffic, apart from myself... and has everything on default... got rated F, unless we ignore the "trust issues" (which arise from the bogus free certificate - And I do trust myself)

Well, yeah - self-signed certificates are super bad security wise, though as long as you control both ends, keep the private key secured, and are vigilant that someone hasn't MITM'ed your ass you at least can't be snooped on (without the expenditure of possibly more computing resources than anyone has available). Nobody probably wants to, in any case. Big Grin
The problem with self signed certificates is that without already knowing the details of the keys being used, you can't know whether you are being subject to a MITM attack.

Signed keys aren't much better mind. At most, they are pseudo security.
True, which is why I said that as long as he controls both ends (therefore knowing details about the keys) he'd be OK. Probably.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Rule Updates Tiberius 124 14679 October 29, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates Tiberius 15 7374 October 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  SSL Updates Tiberius 1 1611 August 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 6550 March 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Domain Name Updates Tiberius 4 2065 March 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Important Updates Tiberius 28 30645 January 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 4724 January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Forum Layout Updates & Debate Motions Tiberius 6 3299 November 22, 2010 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Ryft
  Server Updates Tiberius 0 1781 May 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm