Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Religion Have A Place in the World?
Does Religion Have A Place in the World?
Does anyone actually see religion dying out in the future? What (if any) position does religion hold in the future world? Should it even have one?
RE: Does Religion Have A Place in the World?
I don't think it'll ever die out completely, cos people will always believe in woo woo. But I hope the most backwards forms of it will disappear, or at least dwindle.....looking at you, Frankie
I don't think religion will die out. Although it may change to become more acceptable to a changing audience.
Maybe at one time religion served as a unifying and stabilizing influence but now that's long over.

Personally I think religion is the ultimate thief. It steals faith from individuals and then literally tries to sell it back to them. I think the largest group of victims of religion are their flock.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
Religion will never die out as long as people are scared of dying. And I don't think it would be a good thing if it died out. People would just find other ideologies to rally behind and I go with the old saying better the devil you know.

What I do hope is for it's radical elements to become fringe.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 30, 2015 at 5:36 am)Ashground Wrote: I don't think religion will die out. Although it may change to become more acceptable to a changing audience.
Maybe at one time religion served as a unifying and stabilizing influence but now that's long over.

Personally I think religion is the ultimate thief. It steals faith from individuals and then literally tries to sell it back to them. I think the largest group of victims of religion are their flock.

Could you elaborate more on how religion steals faith from its followers?
Faith is an emotional state. How would you view an organization that claimed they owned your sense of hope or love and that you could only truly hope for the future or love your family and friends if you do it through their organization? I'd think they were arrogant and delusional too.
Religions claim a lot more of course, this is just something which irks me.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
In the west I see it declining, and then hanging around as a superstition that some people keep but don't take very seriously. Like other silly superstitions that seem to do the rounds.

My hope is critical thinking will improve, but in England where there isn't much religion we still have all kinds of nonsense woo all round the place. A lot of people seem to be easily led.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 30, 2015 at 8:21 am)robvalue Wrote: In the west I see it declining, and then hanging around as a superstition that some people keep but don't take very seriously. Like other silly superstitions that seem to do the rounds.

My hope is critical thinking will improve, but in England where there isn't much religion we still have all kinds of nonsense woo all round the place. A lot of people seem to be easily led.
Most people generally are. Easier than thinking critically.
I think that over the generations theism will dramatically decline, and some form of deism will start to spread. Religion will no longer be able to hold itself up with science attacking it at all angles. Deism has always seemed to be the "smart person's God" to me, since Einstein and many other scientists have been deists. I feel that as our scientific knowledge advances, the theists will "adapt" into atheists, deists, or more sophisticated theologians.
Yes, it has a place in the world: the trash can.

Will it die out? Doubtful.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

"Never give a sucker an even break."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Computers have been converted to Islam religion! AVMXF 40 2538 August 20, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4450 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4535 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4325 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6058 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2353 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13140 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the World Need Religion? phoenix31 85 9746 February 7, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12646 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic