Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O say can you see, the U. S. Oligarchy?

The U. S. is on sale. Buy it while it’s hot.

O say can you see,
by the dawn's early light,
what so proudly we hailed
we now proudly renounce.
democracy

http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY

Plato theorized that democracies, as they matured, evolved into oligarchies or plutocracies. We are witnessing exactly that.

When the new political election funding laws came into effect, the U. S. democratic system became an oligarchy or plutocracy. Billionaires are now buying political candidates and are in fact buying the leadership of the nation. They are now the power behind the throne and control the government and thus the people. Now, instead of working 9 to 5, Americans are working 24/7.

When did the U. S. devolve from the leading democracy of the West, to a tyranny up for sale?

Regards
DL
RE: O say can you see, the U. S. Oligarchy?
I don't want to blame religion for everything...
but you can't say that having a spiritual organization claiming total power and teaching everyone that it's good to be a sheep helped anything.
To be fair the US was never intended to be a democracy, but a Republic. (Democracy is rule of majority, which is tyranny against the minorities)
(April 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: O say can you see, the U. S. Oligarchy?

The U. S. is on sale. Buy it while it’s hot.

The US is not for sale. It has already been sold (out). To China. China owns the US.
And it will cost you guys 14 trillion bucks to buy it back.

Wannabet in what century the US will be debt-free again...?
Weird, I was thinking last night whilst watching TYT, where they said a new SuperPAC has been spawned just for bankers(as if they didn't have enough lobbyists), how Citizens United has turned America into an oligarchy.
I fucking hate the Citizens United ruling.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm)libalchris Wrote: To be fair the US was never intended to be a democracy, but a Republic. (Democracy is rule of majority, which is tyranny against the minorities)

Is it better to have the tyranny of the minority?
No.
Democracy is a system that is supposed to be built on justice. Justice would always consider the minorities.

Regards
DL
(April 9, 2012 at 10:44 am)Greatest I am Wrote:
(April 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm)libalchris Wrote: To be fair the US was never intended to be a democracy, but a Republic. (Democracy is rule of majority, which is tyranny against the minorities)

Is it better to have the tyranny of the minority?
No.
Democracy is a system that is supposed to be built on justice. Justice would always consider the minorities.

Regards
DL

The definition of Democracy I'm referring to is where the majority rules. A republic is the rule of law, rather than rule of majority

In an absolute democracy, the majority has complete power. It's a dictatorship, where the majority is the dictator.

Rule of law is hardly tyranny of the minority. The Rule of law just ensures justice and freedom for everyone. That is, no matter how much the majority wants to impose a national religion, they cannot because the rule of law (the constitution) states that everyone has equal religious rights, and one religion may not be imposed on others. So no matter what the majority wants, the rule of law must be followed.
(April 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm)libalchris Wrote: [
The definition of Democracy I'm referring to is where the majority rules. A republic is the rule of law, rather than rule of majority

In an absolute democracy, the majority has complete power. It's a dictatorship, where the majority is the dictator.

Rule of law is hardly tyranny of the minority. The Rule of law just ensures justice and freedom for everyone. That is, no matter how much the majority wants to impose a national religion, they cannot because the rule of law (the constitution) states that everyone has equal religious rights, and one religion may not be imposed on others. So no matter what the majority wants, the rule of law must be followed.

Your head is in the sand.
Every U. S. president must be a Christian so religion is being forced down non-religious throats.
Or at least their view. Note Bush.

Regards
DL
(April 11, 2012 at 9:30 am)Greatest I am Wrote:
(April 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm)libalchris Wrote: [

Your head is in the sand.
Every U. S. president must be a Christian so religion is being forced down non-religious throats.
Or at least their view. Note Bush.

Regards
DL

Oh I'm not saying that the US is just fine. I'm just saying the US is/was actually a republic, not a democracy. I know the government is really screwed up. I was just differentiating between the democracy and republic forms of government.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, we'll never see our loved ones again? Shazzalovesnovels 93 7169 May 20, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Schrodinger's Cat. What say you? Brian37 39 2432 October 19, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What do scientists say about existence? Mariosep 186 50475 July 20, 2017 at 10:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video what do you all see in spiritualism? tigerlove 137 11393 December 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8024 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed" DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 50 6940 November 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  How can you say "take responsibility for your life"? MusicLovingAtheist 98 14570 October 27, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Violet
  You can't prove to me you are an atheist. Knowledge of God 129 17608 June 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Question Can we see reality as it is? FractalEternalWheel 19 6956 January 3, 2014 at 1:21 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  "You may say I'm a dreamer..." JoeSzymborski27 22 4732 September 29, 2013 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy