Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mankind is "in darkness"
Mankind is "in darkness"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17649521

The pope has said that mankind is "groping in darkness, unable to distinguish good from evil."

He goes on to say that the "darkness enshrouding god is .. the real threat to our existence and the world in general".

You'd think an ex-nazi would have first hand experience that religion is not the be-all and end-all of issues in the world, and not spout the "religion is morality" bullshit.
RE: Mankind is "in darkness"
Yeah that same old bollocks. "Religion is morality" though it has a poor way of showing it. Also seeing as religion has nothing and no interest in what's right and wrong. It's serve god or not serve god. Got nothing to do with right or wrong. Got everything to do with believing and being obedient.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Unable to distinguish between good and evil? Where does harboring child molestors fall in that specturm?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:"unable to distinguish good from evil."

Maybe that's because there is no good and evil Smile But that might just blow his mind!
I think the Catholics cornered the market on groping in the darkness.
Trying to update my sig ...
(April 8, 2012 at 5:10 am)tobie Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17649521

The pope has said that mankind is "groping in darkness, unable to distinguish good from evil."

He goes on to say that the "darkness enshrouding god is .. the real threat to our existence and the world in general".

You'd think an ex-nazi would have first hand experience that religion is not the be-all and end-all of issues in the world, and not spout the "religion is morality" bullshit.

That sounds more like the experience many children have with Catholic Priests.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
I always find it both sad and humorously ironic that the church shouts warnings the loudest of anyone, they warn humanity regularly to be good and claim that we must stop moral decay- and they're the leading cause of moral decay.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
What he is really saying is that no one takes them seriously anymore.

As to groping in the darkness, that's why we have the lightbulbs that science gave us.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

I guess I'm not sure about what may be reported about the pope also I guess some men are in darkness.

Quote:The pope has said that mankind is "groping in darkness, unable to distinguish good from evil."

----and I should care about what the head of a morally bankrupt institution has to say exactly why?

Cranky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 569 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Savior Of Mankind Ahmed Alhassan (pbuh) to athiests alquersh 6 1997 November 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: WesOlsen
  Why did god give mankind faulty love genes? Brakeman 4 1968 September 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Chuck Norris says voting for Obama will bring 1000 years of darkness Ziploc Surprise 35 17737 September 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  You shall not lie down with mankind Justtristo 9 2476 May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas