Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweden Aims for "Gender Neutrality"
Sweden Aims for "Gender Neutrality"
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d...ersy_.html
Quote:...for many Swedes, gender equality is not enough. Many are pushing for the Nordic nation to be not simply gender-equal but gender-neutral. The idea is that the government and society should tolerate no distinctions at all between the sexes. This means on the narrow level that society should show sensitivity to people who don't identify themselves as either male or female, including allowing any type of couple to marry. But that’s the least radical part of the project. What many gender-neutral activists are after is a society that entirely erases traditional gender roles and stereotypes at even the most mundane levels.
Whilst I think the idea of "gender neutrality" has good intentions, I think some of the things talked about in that article would just lead to unfairness. For instance, ignoring the physical differences between male and female athletes and having them compete against one another would in most cases lead to male-dominated sports victories.

What does everyone else think? Should we ignore the genetic / physical differences between males and females in order to promote a "more equal" society, and is such a society really more equal?
RE: Sweden Aims for "Gender Neutrality"
If I go to a Swedish strip club and a gender neutral waves its neutralhood at me, ill fuck it up.

Thats so stupid, no one can ignore obvious differences. Good idea, clearly the wrong way about it.
Does gender neutral Swedish person of the chromosomally X-Y pursuasion suckle their infants from their own mammary glands?
It’s not about the people that recognize the differences and feel comfortable with that, it’s about those who don’t.
It’s about the people who fall outside of male and female.
It’s about the people who are Androgynous, Neutrios, Intergender, non-gender etc and anything else that may fall in to the Intersexual category.
It’s not about forcing people to use gender neutral pronouns against their will; it’s about making the option available.

As far a a gender neutral socity goes I'm all for unisex bathrooms, I refuse to use any other kind. Bowling is a sport that can be gender neutral but there are others that can't; like wrestling, it would become unfair.
It is taking it rather too far.

People are NOT equal.

They should however, have equal opportunities to be the best that they can.

For instance I am much stronger physically than Kichi, she on the other other hand is both smarter and better organised than I am.

We combine our strengths so that the whole(our relationship) is greater than its parts.

But this only works because of the recognition that we are not equal to each other in many areas.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 12, 2012 at 7:21 am)Xcentric Wrote: It’s not about the people that recognize the differences and feel comfortable with that, it’s about those who don’t.
It’s about the people who fall outside of male and female.
It’s about the people who are Androgynous, Neutrios, Intergender, non-gender etc and anything else that may fall in to the Intersexual category.
It’s not about forcing people to use gender neutral pronouns against their will; it’s about making the option available.

As far a a gender neutral socity goes I'm all for unisex bathrooms, I refuse to use any other kind. Bowling is a sport that can be gender neutral but there are others that can't; like wrestling, it would become unfair.

You'd think wrestling would be unfair, but some girls wrestled in my high school, and they actually beat boys fairly often.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Aegrus Wrote:You'd think wrestling would be unfair, but some girls wrestled in my high school, and they actually beat boys fairly often.

Well the problems guys have about wrestling girls is not so much about the strength of the two genders. It is the state of sexual arousal druing a man vs. woman match. The man is crawling on the matt, grasping at her femine body, and WHOOPS! Out comes the invevitable erection in a skin tight uniform screaming, "LOOK AT ME!" I have seen it happen, folks.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Although I agree with gender equality I do think the Swedes are going a little over board. It's starting to become a little ridicules now.

Ok this calls for a quick slap. [Image: bitchslap.gif]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
As soon as we throw biology fully out, we're sunk.
Trying to update my sig ...
For the most part I agree with Sweden on this. High-strength sports, such as competitive fighting etc, would be the only exception. And obviously if someone commits a crime, you should be allowed to describe them as "male" or "female", since there is clearly a biological distinction. There should not be any societal distinction other than where absolutely necessary, however.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender reversal in the presidential debates John V 11 4312 June 3, 2017 at 7:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  Gender Roles Athena777 53 4602 December 6, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Net Neutrality 2014 wolf39us 19 2840 June 4, 2014 at 4:56 am
Last Post: StuW
  Russia halts adoptions to Sweden over gay nuptials kılıç_mehmet 19 4936 October 11, 2013 at 9:52 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  "third gender" to be officialy recognised in Germany Something completely different 27 6644 August 20, 2013 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Georgia Woman Told Vaginal Exam Needed To Prove Gender Raven 24 7301 June 27, 2013 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sweden: A Shining Beacon for All Rights? Autumnlicious 0 1039 September 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Even Sweden have a PC Brigade! Tiberius 14 3074 April 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  I'm moving to Sweden!! Need input... TastyTim 45 14777 February 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: RW_9