Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence Against God
Evidence Against God
We all have heard theists argue over and over again that "you can't prove god doesn't exist". So, I'll ask this question - what evidence do you require to prove his non-existence?

As far as I can see, there is plenty of evidence against god's existence. The way any god is defined is usually self-contradictory. We see that things do not exist outside of causation. We see that things don't exist eternally.

So, what proof do theists require that would convince them that there is not god? Or is it true that their position is fundamentally dishonest and no proof would suffice?
RE: Evidence Against God
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams Wrote:"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn’t thought of that," and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I would have thought that nearly 2000 years of absolute nothingness would be proof enough but no... Personally I strongly believe in Thunderf00ts concept of "Pearlism" and I'll shout it to the rooftops. So that's the criteria that I would use 2 disprove the existance of God. Is there any "Physical Evidence And Reasoned Logic" in the story of God?... No there isn't, never was, never will be... So let it go, move on and live how you want to live... Don't let your imaginary friend do all your thinking for you... Because that voice they put in your head and told you it was God is manipulated to enslave you by telling you your free and in the end, it's a pernicious activity that will only prevent you from being the person that YOU want to be. Smile
"Science flew us to the Moon, religion flew us into buildings."

"Life... It's just an F in lie."
(April 13, 2012 at 11:24 am)genkaus Wrote: We all have heard theists argue over and over again that "you can't prove god doesn't exist". So, I'll ask this question - what evidence do you require to prove his non-existence?

Don't actually need to disprove god's existence if god hasn't even been demonstrated to exist yet. Yeah, we can't prove god doesn't exist, but neither can they prove that there is no tea pot orbiting the sun, or that there's an invisible dragon in my garage, ect ect. No need to disprove something that has no evidence to support it's existence to begin with.
Just rule it out as unsupported nonsense. If they don't like that, tough! God is just a belief with zero evidence to support it. Also it's infallible, has no value or explanatory power, no credibility.
Just rule it out.

[Washes hands] That's all that there is to it. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
It would require all the knowledge in the universe to properly disprove god. You can never prove god doesn't exist, but you can certainly argue that a god is unlikely to exist.
This is stupid
1) scientific studies saying prayer offers no effect. If prayer really worked i think you'd see SOME effect in the way of a scientific study.

2) Near Death Experiences. People see all sorts of shit in these things. Aliens, buddha, jesus, dead ones. Because of the randomness of this, God does not exist. (from scientific studies)

3) The physical explanation for near death experiences makes a lot more sense than the romanticized versions in which there is an after life. The neurons firing in the brain to create hallucinations, the endorphins being released to create the sense of calm after the struggle against death, the misfiring of dying neurons to create the tunnel of light.

This is why i don't believe in God.
The "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is meaningless shit. I don't need to prove a non existent thing does not exist, it's overall and constant nothingness gives the game away.

You can't prove that I'm not a talking whicker basket (but only when nobody is looking!) - however it would be ridiculous to assert even the tiny possibility that I could be. Hello god, you belong in the same bracket.

As always we can only look at what we have evidence to support. There is no evidence to support gods existence anywhere, this despite 6 billion believers, and that is that. There is more evidence for life on mars and 6 billion people haven't been looking for it, instead we're talking a handful of people.

I think if god was real, his effect would be demonstable in some way or another, and we'd have found evidence. I have to laugh at the people that say he's outside of the universe, time, whatever, so he's not something we can find. Oh so you mean he's effectively not real then? Has zero effect on us then?

Absence of evidence often IS evidence of absence, it often IS the most plausible explanation.

Realistically, no evidence against the existence of god will be enough for a theist, we aren't battling facts but emotion, and a need or want to believe. If they want to believe, they will.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

I would first need to see a non-theistic solution to Chalmers' "hard problem."
We can prove that the universe doesn't need a god to exist. This would remove the need to add a god into anything, seeing as nature can do without such a being.
God currently only works in the spiritual world, because such a place doesn't exist. Tongue
Can't test, measure, verify the spiritual. Good reason to rule it out as complete nonsense. We're in very good reason to. If you're going to consider such things as spirits and souls as real without any useful method of fact finding, then essentially you've got no filter to help separate fact from fiction. Might as well assume everything you imagine is real. No matter how idiotic. We've got principles and filters for a reason. Keeps all the shit out.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(April 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm)Adjusted Sanity Wrote: It would require all the knowledge in the universe to properly disprove god.

Why? How do you conclude that?

Quote: You can never prove god doesn't exist

Why can't absolute lack of evidence of his existence serve as proof of his non existence? I've never really got that.

Quote: but you can certainly argue that a god is unlikely to exist.

You certainly can!

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2455 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3205 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1641 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4693 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7845 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2796 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12656 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1042 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15521 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2578 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball