Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robot Rights.
Robot Rights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNPeNEvM...re=related

Watching this made me think. If we ever create machines that are so intelligent that they are self aware, should they be given rights? Similar or even equal to humans?
RE: Robot Rights.
Well, the moral answer to that would probably be yes. How would we be able to distinguish consciousness from the illusion of consciousness though? A robot could easily say that it is aware of it's existence but it really is not. Secondly, the purpose of a Robot in an advanced society would be that of a servant. They will be created for the sole purpose of servitude and creating one so advanced that it could possibly achieve consciousness puts us at risk of a "Skynet" type situation.
(April 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: Well, the moral answer to that would probably be yes. How would we be able to distinguish consciousness from the illusion of consciousness though? A robot could easily say that it is aware of it's existence but it really is not.

Why is it not?
It would be hard to distinguish, how would you measure consciousness?
One of those nasty little questions that at first seems simple until you give it hard thought.

Personally, I think a machine has rights if it can be made to feel harm, and through that extension, you can apply a golden rule.

If the machine is capable of being harmed (and comprehend that harm) in a manner of which you would not want to be harmed yourself in the same situation, then it has that right.

However, I think true self-aware computerised intelligence would appear completely alien to ourselves. I think the error in a lot of AI creation is trying to make computers act like humans, despite a completely different construction and methodology of comprehension.

In this way, intelligence should be viewed in the same way we would approach alien intelligence. If the method of intelligence is substantially different, with different motivations behind the decision making process, then it is important, in terms of preventing harm that would to us be immoral.

Asimov got there a long time ago, with I, Robot.

Quote:1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Without restriction, our own values, and self-protection would be at risk if you allowed an alien, or robot intelligence too much power over mankind.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(April 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: They will be created for the sole purpose of servitude and creating one so advanced that it could possibly achieve consciousness puts us at risk of a "Skynet" type situation.
[Image: 5Cd5z.jpg]

Chickens can feel harm, do they have rights?
I would imagine they would get treated similar to pets.
Cunt
Spayed and Neutered?
(April 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Chickens can feel harm, do they have rights?

Yeah but are they self aware in the same sense that humans are?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo? FlatAssembler 7 911 June 15, 2023 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Robot Priest Unveiled in Wittenberg Rev. Rye 24 6555 June 26, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Cheetah Robot FallentoReason 5 2211 September 8, 2012 at 11:52 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  LittleDog Robot Tiberius 7 2783 September 6, 2011 at 6:38 am
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower