Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robot Priest Unveiled in Wittenberg
Robot Priest Unveiled in Wittenberg
I wasn't sure where to put this one, but since the robot is the big selling point, I decided to put it in Technology.

Quote:Five hundred years after revolutionary printing presses spread news of Martin Luther’s radical call for church reform across Europe, technology is again challenging religious tradition in the small German town of Wittenberg.

A robot priest that delivers blessings in five languages and beams light from its hands has been unveiled as part of an exhibition to mark the anniversary of the start of the Reformation, a Europe-wide religious, political and cultural upheaval sparked when Luther nailed his 95 theses to a church door in the town.

Half a millennium later, the robot, called BlessU-2, is intended to trigger debate about the future of the church and the potential of artificial intelligence.

Full article is here:

And, just for the records, the church in question is, in fact, Protestant, so I doubt they're going to program it to molest children.

Any thoughts?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Robot Priest Unveiled in Wittenberg
Quote:“We wanted people to consider if it is possible to be blessed by a machine, or if a human being is needed,” Stephan Krebs of the Protestant church in Hesse and Nassau, which is behind the initiative, told the Guardian.

I imagine the church and theists stating that it is impossible, considering that the robot does not have a soul with which it can use to properly be in contact with god.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 30, 2017 at 8:54 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I wasn't sure where to put this one, but since the robot is the big selling point, I decided to put it in Technology.

Quote:Five hundred years after revolutionary printing presses spread news of Martin Luther’s radical call for church reform across Europe, technology is again challenging religious tradition in the small German town of Wittenberg.

A robot priest that delivers blessings in five languages and beams light from its hands has been unveiled as part of an exhibition to mark the anniversary of the start of the Reformation, a Europe-wide religious, political and cultural upheaval sparked when Luther nailed his 95 theses to a church door in the town.

Half a millennium later, the robot, called BlessU-2, is intended to trigger debate about the future of the church and the potential of artificial intelligence.

Full article is here:

And, just for the records, the church in question is, in fact, Protestant, so I doubt they're going to program it to molest children.

Any thoughts?
The Protestants will program the Choir Director to molest children instead.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

The catholicks will invent a robotic altar boy with a reinforced asshole.
Shades of Douglas Adams' Electric Monk.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
A robot priest?

Quick, hide your toasters and vacuuming bots!!
Dying to live, living to die.
Hide your wallets.
What's the difference between the robot and a human priest?

One's incapable of caring and has no heart.
The other is some type of mechanical thing.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 30, 2017 at 9:52 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Shades of Douglas Adams' Electric Monk.

Ironically, that one does exist now. Granted, it's a Buddhist monk, and there's even less A.I. than BlessU2, but still, it's an electronic monk.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 30, 2017 at 8:57 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
Quote:“We wanted people to consider if it is possible to be blessed by a machine, or if a human being is needed,” Stephan Krebs of the Protestant church in Hesse and Nassau, which is behind the initiative, told the Guardian.

I imagine the church and theists stating that it is impossible, considering that the robot does not have a soul with which it can use to properly be in contact with god.

Nor is it a son of Adam.  God would be unaware of any intercessory applications to which it might pretend.

Satan, on the other hand . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheetah Robot FallentoReason 5 2211 September 8, 2012 at 11:52 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Robot Rights. Napoléon 28 10851 April 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  LittleDog Robot Tiberius 7 2779 September 6, 2011 at 6:38 am
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower