Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution in action
Evolution in action
In this thread let's ignore all the fossil evidence, DNA (genetic) evidence, homeologic evidence, molecular evidence, all the evidence we can possibly use for evolution and instead focus on the evolution we see all around us. I'll start with two examples that will clearly show evolution and speciation happening right before our eyes.

My first example is the Sockeye Salmon of Lake Washington (east of Seattle Washington). In the 30s and 40s they were first introduced in Lake Washington and fairly quickly they colonized the mouth of the Cedar river. By the mid 50s they had also colonized Pleasure Point beach. By the mid 90s (only 40 years later) these two populations diverged. In the Cedar river where the water flows rapidly, the male Salmon are more slender so they can fight the currents while the females are larger so they can dig deeper holes in the river for their eggs (so the current doesn't take the eggs). The Salmon that live in the warmer, stiller waters of Pleasure Point have males with larger rounder bodies so they can fight of rival males for mating privileges while the females are smaller since they do not have to dig deep holes to protect their eggs. These two distinct populations are genetically isolated and already after only 40 years (as of 1997 to be exact) show differences that would be recognized as distinct species in most organisms. Andrew Hendry of McGill University has shown us that this split (an example of allopatric speciation) has happened in 40 years and within a few generations they will be defined as a separate species.

My second example is a bird quite a few of us are familiar with. It's the common sparrow, specifically the European House Sparrow. The reason I am looking at this bird is because it isn't endemic to North America, or should I say it wasn't. The European House Sparrow was introduced to North America in the summer of 1851 in Brooklyn NY. Since there is only one tree that grows in Brooklyn (it was in a book, look it up), they quickly flew the coop so to speak and spread all over a range from Costa Rica in the south to the boreal forests of Canada in the north. Since we know they all came from one ancestral species and that species was all fairly similar (since the original population was small) and they spread all over North America, we know they are quickly diverging from one another and becoming new species (another example of allopatric speciation). We see the northern Sparrows follow Bergmann's rule (In zoology, Bergmann's rule is an ecogeographic rule that correlates latitude with body mass in animals) and they have larger bodies than those in the south. The reason for this is that larger bodies are needed to conserve heat. The northern Sparrows are darker than their southern relatives. Wing length is different, bill shape and of course length (shades of the Galapagos Finches). Many more difference can be found in the literature and online. The differences between the northern and southern Sparrows tend to be so extreme that bird watchers from the north can't even tell they are looking at the same species as bird watchers in the northern latitudes.

Ok, you have two examples. Let's hear yours.
RE: Evolution in action
I saw a monkey give birth to a human... true story...

Tongue
Cunt
(April 24, 2012 at 10:40 am)frankiej Wrote: I saw a monkey give birth to a human... true story...

Tongue

I saw a creationist give birth to a monkey, true story.... Angel
This was supposed to be a serious thread guys.
(April 24, 2012 at 10:38 am)Phil Wrote: I'll start with two examples that will clearly show evolution and speciation happening right before our eyes.

Ok, you have two examples. Let's hear yours.

Is every variation of dog breed not yet another such example?

Quote:Is every variation of dog breed not yet another such example?

No. Dogs are an example of "intelligent design."

Which is why we have Akitas with a tendency to Retinal dysplasia; German Shepherds with Hip dysplasia; Golden Retrievers with aortic stenosis; Pugs with brachycephalic syndrome; Great Danes with cardiomyopathy; and so on and so on and so on..

Evolution aims for an organism to survive. ID's goal seemed to be to make them look like the designer's ideal.
(April 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Is every variation of dog breed not yet another such example?

No. Dogs are an example of "intelligent design."

Which is why we have Akitas with a tendency to Retinal dysplasia; German Shepherds with Hip dysplasia; Golden Retrievers with aortic stenosis; Pugs with brachycephalic syndrome; Great Danes with cardiomyopathy; and so on and so on and so on..

Evolution aims for an organism to survive. ID's goal seemed to be to make them look like the designer's ideal.

The I have to admit creationists are indeed also the product of intelligent design, based on the numerous mental defects they possess.
Perhaps it is simply too much inbreeding?
Quote:Specialization may subdivide a single niche into many new niches. For example, cichlid fishes have diversified in East African lakes into more than 600 species. This diversification may have been possible because different fish lineages evolved to take advantage of different foods (including insects, algae, mollusks, small fish, large fish, other fishes’ scales, and even other fishes’ eyes!).

Quote:Lake Tanganyika is a rather closed system and this effect the fish fauna in at least two different ways. To begin with, it has caused a situation where a majority of the species hail from one single ancestor species who managed to get into the lake millions of years ago Secondly, it has lead to an extremely high degree of endemic species. When a new species evolve in Lake Tanganyika, it is very difficult for it to spread to other lakes and waterways. A large portion of the Lake Tanganyika cichlids are therefore endemic to the lake.

Over 200 species of cichlids have been described from Lake Tanganyika and fish experts suspect that the number will increase dramatically as the lake is more thoroughly explored by scientists. Today, several new species are found and described each year, despite the fact that large parts of Congolese and Tanzanian shore habitats are being far from methodically explored. If scientists were given a chance to survey the Congolese and Tanzania shores more systematically, the number of new discoveries each year would probably increase radically. New technology can also help us learn more about the situation in Lake Tanganyika, e.g. the advanced fishing equipment that is necessary in order to research the deeper regions of the lake.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

A bit tongue in cheek: I hear much talk about "human evolution" to the next level. But how come they are not developing humans to have remote eyes - you can send them around a corner , look for your keys five places at once etc? I mean, we do not have to rely on "hit and miss" mutations and all the problems associated with irreducible complexity. We can design it and implement it? Here is a chance to make a name for yourself!!

But I suppose it is much easier to hypothesize about assumed development than actually getting something to work - like getting a living organism from non-living material - despite the Miller-Urey experiment that is cited as "proof" and with new discoveries now found to be less likely true than when it was first proposed.

The supposed evolution of one specie into another has no fossil records at all to prove this. They only have the "end result", without any in-between species.

This concession was made by even an honest "evolutionist" the late Dr Colin Patterson "‘I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?’(http://creation.com/that-quoteabout-the-...al-fossils)

Sometimes however, this honesty is not exercised - as proven by Lucy, Nebraska man, Piltdown man etc. etc - putting forward for fact that which is known fabrications to support a theory.

At the same time we devalue human life - such that the killing of babies after birth is discussed "( On February 23, 2012, the Journal of Medical Ethics (JME) published an article written by philosophers Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva. Its title was “After-Birth Abortion: Why Should the Baby Live?”)

If life is a mere "fluke", what is the value of human (or any life for that matter)? Why should life be protected if it is not deemed to be in the interest of a specific person or society? You tell me why? Because you are the healthiest and most "intelligent" of a "batch" of newborns whose biological mother and father//other caretakers can offer you the best opportunities. How many of us would have survived?

Human life has value, irrespective of your financial status, looks, IQ or any other arbitrary measure. You have value because you were in the mind of God long before you were born and He loves you, irrespective of any of the facts mentioned (Social status etc).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution in action. ScienceAf 113 21001 September 28, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30308 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution in Action- Revealed! Erinome 25 10904 January 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Evolution in Action Minimalist 12 4110 September 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Evolution in action? Octopus using a tool. Oldandeasilyconfused 30 11935 January 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet