Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and identity (and some other things)
Religion and identity (and some other things)
I think one of the greatest reasons people become attached to their religion and deep down inside really want to believe in it, is due to the role it plays in their identity.

Some religions, this is more so. For example, in Islam, "honour belongs to God, his Messenger, and the believers". It doesn't state it belongs to good people whom are not believers. HONOR which humans value is put all into being a firm believer.

In Judaism, Jews are suppose to be God's chosen people. It gives a sense of honor and superiority.

In Christianity, people whom don't believe in Christ is said to be due to darkness of hearts, while believers are hand picked by God to be saved (this implies they must have something over others).

I think a lot is invested in this "ego", and it's central to the psychology of the person.

It's not only about how you see yourself, but how you see your community and how you see other communities.

I know I emphasized almost everything in being "guided". It was the most important thing to me.

I wanted to be guided towards the true path.

What I'm realizing now, is that truth and falsehood doesn't make one greater or less great.

It's not all about having the truth. Everyone is in their own zone.

I realize people like Allamah Tabatabai were in their own zone, and they felt they were sure of the their religion and sect and path being the correct one. He probably had his mystical experiences which made him feel even more strongly about his faith and path.

This is one reason why I can't accept this notion that people will go to hell for not believing in the right creed. Also I can't accept superiority of a people of a certain creed over another.

I think there is good and bad people in all creeds and in all nations and in all races.

Good people are good people and should be honoured as such regardless of their creed.

But what religions like Islam and Christianity does, it dishonours those outside the faith and honours those inside the faith.

People grow up with this identity rooted in them.

I sort reflect over my old self, how my concept of myself was so much rooted in Shiite Islam. My thought of others was also rooted in that.

I never imagined myself leaving religion. I could swear I was sure. But I realize now, I thought with too much emotion.

That's the thing. People confuse with their strong emotion to religion, to their strength of belief.
The more emotion you invest, the stronger your belief feels.

And the strong emotion lent to religion is driven out of identity struggle that seeks to put oneself a high position, relative to other world views that seek to put onself in a lower position.

This identity war is what drives Sunnis and Shias against each other. It's what divides people and creates hate between people.

If it's not religion, it's nationalism, race, culture, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11880 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 716 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 24015 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6507 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20916 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8293 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1260 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5437 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2836 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do people on here act as if Islam if no worse than any other faith? Hoppingbunny 64 11071 April 24, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: paulpablo