Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
27th of May protest of GM research
27th of May protest of GM research
This showed up on my FB page today. It's something about a protest against genetically modified wheat research that will take place on the 27th of May. http://richarddawkins.net/videos/645814-...m-research

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...9scGtf5E3I

My question is, what the hell is this? I've heard people spouting off about genetically modified food before but I've not heard of any physical violence associated with these protests. Why such stupidity? Haven't people been genetically modifying plants and animals for thousands of years? Yes I know that genetic engineering speeds up the process by quite a lot but isn't this is essentially the same thing as what has been going on for thousands of years?

And about the environment, aren't the scientists trying to protect this through genetic engineering?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: 27th of May protest of GM research
Anyone else think we should show up on mass at the protest on 27th May and protect the plants?
I'm divided about this because it depends upon what the genetic modification is.

Then again, the food industry has been fucking with our health for decades so why should we start complaining now?

Go buy tinned coconut milk for example, its almost bound to have cow's milk in it. WTF do I want cow's milk in my coconut milk for? Talk about defeating the objective.
I was more motivated to see what "Take the Flour Back" organisation listed as its main objections to the project.

I .. well.. couldn't really find any, they cited a similar experiment that contaminated fields in Canada by wind pollination.. the issue was that nobody wanted to buy GM Wheat rather than any intrinsic flaw in the wheat itself.

Citing economical viability as a source of why GM wheat is bad, does not seem to be a coherent argument for vandalism. You'd think they'd have some farmers to quote at least saying "OMG Dis wheat is gonna ruin us..".
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Even before they had genetically engineered food products (engineered in a lab, not through selective breeding) I have heard protests about food handling and manipulation. Does anyone remember radiation treatment of Pork? As I recall they wanted to extend this to other products and people complained about this. Those same people didn't realize that they had been doing this to pork for quite some time without incident. Fertilizers, insecticides and hormone treatments are used every day. Some of this may indeed be dangerous to human health and to the environment but you don't hear much about it. Perhaps I've had my head under a rock or something but I don't recall any destructive protests based on beliefs founded on poor research. I could be wrong about this latter bit though.

I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

(May 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Anyone else think we should show up on mass at the protest on 27th May and protect the plants?

As long as young, stupid dumbasses continue to fall for moronic, idiotic appeals to being a modern day Luddite, those of us who remain mentally sound have to step up and keep these jerks restrained.

Why can't they fucking unite to end the corporate welfare that enables predatory actions, reform patent law to prevent dubious claims (like that on pre-existing life), lobby for additional restrictions placed on copyright claims?

Oh wait, that'd answer other things too. Like really deciding as a society to quit wasting money on "crimes" that aren't even really crimes.

But then again, this is coming from a citizen of a society that insisted on penalizing Jammie Thomas for having a couple of stupid songs on her computer. :S
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(May 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: This showed up on my FB page today. It's something about a protest against genetically modified wheat research that will take place on the 27th of May. http://richarddawkins.net/videos/645814-...m-research

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...9scGtf5E3I

My question is, what the hell is this? I've heard people spouting off about genetically modified food before but I've not heard of any physical violence associated with these protests. Why such stupidity? Haven't people been genetically modifying plants and animals for thousands of years? Yes I know that genetic engineering speeds up the process by quite a lot but isn't this is essentially the same thing as what has been going on for thousands of years?

And about the environment, aren't the scientists trying to protect this through genetic engineering?
Genetically modifying plants by natural means is another thing, like animal husbandry and etc. But GM food is to me, nothing but the monopolisation of food resources into the hands of a few producers, while destroying local sorts and crops.
The EU is against such crops for a reason.

[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
The "local crops" are inferior in every way (that's why nobody grows them). Vae victis. Large ag conglos momonpolize the "local" seed supply as well. They don't care if it's gm or not, it's all green. If there were money in sand-spurs there would be company trying to gain/maintain exclusivity in that market.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 6, 2012 at 8:09 am)Rhythm Wrote: The "local crops" are inferior in every way (that's why nobody grows them). Vae victis. Large ag conglos momonpolize the "local" seed supply as well. They don't care if it's gm or not, it's all green. If there were money in sand-spurs there would be company trying to gain/maintain exclusivity in that market.

Inferior in every way?
I guess you never tasted our local crops. This is why they are more famous in Turkey than any imported (non-GM of course) crop.
The imported crops have longer life-shelves, true, but they really cannot cope with the taste of our local, organic crops.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
LOL, okay Mehm, whatever you say. I'm sure turkish veggies are superior to others, just like everything else in Turkey. Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1891 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Protest Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 42 1719 October 17, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Protest Covid Concerns The Architect Of Fate 3 538 June 5, 2020 at 8:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theresa May resigning as PM Rev. Rye 17 1876 May 26, 2019 at 4:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 325 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  Going to a Protest and I Need Sign Ideas Seraphina 8 777 June 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3711 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I may get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes NuclearEnergy 31 8631 September 8, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9077 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Stay Out Of The Water Chris-Someone May Throw A Harpoon At You Minimalist 14 3649 July 3, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: GUBU