Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I may get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes
I may get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes
Well, I recently came across this story about the artist Cher calling someone on twitter a bitch. To be specific, apparently she was using some sort of famous line. (Not sure if it's hers, or someone else) To keep a long short: Cher said she will take in a DACA recipient into her home. A user said that she will believe it once she sees it. Cher responded with "Then keep your eyes open bitch". I understand that Cher is not running for political office, but am I the only one noticing any sort of hypocrisy here? Seems the more Liberal leaning news outlets are praising Cher for this and not calling her out on it. If a Republican did this, or someone with Republican views did it news outlets like CNN, Huff-Post and many more would have wet their pants. I guess what I am basically saying is that using this sort of language does not help your cause one bit in my opinion. Wasn't Cher the one who said that she would move to Canada if Trump won? Yet, she is still here. I just don't think there is any need for this sort of vitrol, and I really don't care who it came from. I know, I know. This is a silly story in itself, and I'm not really outraged, I just am using it to get my point across that there needs to be civility on both sides.

I am also guilty of doing this sort of thing as well. However, I have really tried to be more civil in the last couple of months with people. Especially on Social media. My method is to just really not respond because you're not going to change someone's mind. Just do you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bles...4e440d3f8b

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: I may get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes
Giving Cher the benefit of the doubt, she's a gay icon. She uses the word "bitch" like a valley girl uses the word "like".

Watch a couple of episodes of RuPaul's Drag Race and you'll see what I mean.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Media is biased, no point in debating that, but in comparison to the repulsion of DACA someone using a word which secretly everyone else uses too is quite a non-issue in my opinion.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(September 6, 2017 at 11:09 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: but in comparison to the repulsion of DACA someone using a word which secretly everyone else uses too is quite a non-issue in my opinion.

I agree 100%. But I am however ashamed that people think one thing isn't OK while doing the same thing is just because their guy does it. And yes, like you said there is no denying that there is the hypocrisy that does exist. But shouldn't the first goal to bring people together is stop with this division? Maybe I'm just not making much sense. After all I didn't get very much sleep last night Sad

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
I called a woman at work a bitch once*.

Jesus fucking Christ, I'm not doing that again.

Just let the women there call each other that, way safer, and as it turns out, way more frequent an occurrence too.

*not to be telling tales, but my supervisor (a woman herself) was having a tough time stifling giggles while she was talking to both of us about the incident
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't think I'd react if Cher were, say, Tim Allen. He loves him some Trump, and if he were yelling at someone on Twitter about DACA and called them a bitch, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Now, when he pulled out the old "If humans evolved from apes why are there still apes" trope, I was happy to see the internet annihilate him... Tongue

https://twitter.com/ofctimallen/status/8...7191414784
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(September 6, 2017 at 11:12 am)It_Was_me Wrote:
(September 6, 2017 at 11:09 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: but in comparison to the repulsion of DACA someone using a word which secretly everyone else uses too is quite a non-issue in my opinion.

I agree 100%. But I am however ashamed that people think one thing isn't OK while doing the same thing is just because their guy does it. And yes, like you said there is no denying that there is the hypocrisy that does exist. But shouldn't the first goal to bring people together is stop with this division? Maybe I'm just not making much sense. After all I didn't get very much sleep last night Sad

No you are right, though I highly doubt people actually want to be brought together... at least as far as I see in my day to day life, people in general seem to like the division, be it regarding political ideologies or other beliefs.

Also in this particular instance I think she was aiming more for sensation and attention than a noble goal.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

What the fuck is wrong with calling someone a bitch?

Kim Davis is a bitch.
Trump supporters are bitches.
Donald Trump is a whiny little bitch.

I'll never understand how the fucking fuck words can be considered 'impolite' They're fucking words!
Quote:If a Republican did this, or someone with Republican views did it

If a republicunt took in a Dreamer that would be NEWS.  I imagine they would do so only to call ICE to pick them up and deport them.
(September 6, 2017 at 11:48 am)Minimalist Wrote: If a republicunt took in a Dreamer that would be NEWS.  I imagine they would do so only to call ICE to pick them up and deport them.

Be fair now, they might take them in if they needed someone to do their fucking housework, or lawn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theresa May resigning as PM Rev. Rye 17 1877 May 26, 2019 at 4:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 325 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3712 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  GOP goes from "anchor baby" to "chain migration'. Brian37 23 3635 January 15, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9078 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  This Was Apparent To A Lot Of Us Before The Election, Laddie! Minimalist 12 1497 August 18, 2017 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Skinny Repeal Goes Down The Shitter, Too. Minimalist 43 10460 July 29, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stay Out Of The Water Chris-Someone May Throw A Harpoon At You Minimalist 14 3650 July 3, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Less than a day goes by... BrianSoddingBoru4 36 9456 May 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Leningrad goes BOOM! Gawdzilla Sama 34 3490 April 5, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious