Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study: Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief

“Religious belief is intuitive - and analytical thinking can undermine intuitive thinking,” said Ara Norenzayan, co-author of the study. “So when people are encouraged to think analytically, it can block intuitive thinking.”

“There’s much more instability to religious belief than we recognize,” said Norenzayan, noting that life’s circumstances and experiences, from traumatic events to joyous occasions, can lead people to become more or less religious."

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/27...=allsearch

This study might be bullshit but then again I got it from CNN and everyone knows that CNN is a good source for accurate unbiased reporting -note sarcasm.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Study: Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief
No shit.
I've posted an LSE study on here before about the link of higher iq means more likely to be an atheist liberal, and lesser iq, religious conservative.
I've posted an LSE study on here before about the link of higher iq means more likely to be an atheist liberal, and lesser iq, religious conservative.
5th - your record is stuck.

Someone give him a nudge.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Knowledge really is power.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6298 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5524 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 77834 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5173 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21982 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1233 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160128 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4068 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I was thinking... dyresand 22 4203 April 22, 2017 at 2:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Survey study on atheists! atheist_researcher 11 1502 October 31, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Alex K