Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality: Where do you get yours?
Morality: Where do you get yours?
Morality, I find, is not a learned trait or an evolutionary one; it is, instead, both. Everyone has their own moral code, some don't have it at all, and some simply don't even bother developing their own [coughxtianscough. Cough ahem] at all. I often find myself wondering what exactly gave me my own moral code. If morality is learned, believe you me; I would be a sadistic little fucker.

I get the impression that we have a natural instinct towards morality but how we define it is learned. Like seeing or hearing; we do it automatically but we don't really get HOW, it just happens! Then, later in life, we learn how the eyes and eardrums work, and the "how" becomes answered, even though we know the "why." So. WHY are we moral is an easy enough question; simple morality leads to survival of a species via cooperation and altruism. If we were immoral from the dawn of our intelligence, we would've self-destructed. But morality is a logical paramount; it must exist. The reasons for the morality we are free to judge for ourselves, of course, and as creatures capable of innovation, we are capable of creating our own morals as we see fit, but also as creatures of logic, we are highly likely to create those morals based on what makes the most sense to us.

Personally, my moral standing comes from a simple rule of "would I want this done to me, yes or no? If yes; proceed. If no; do not." Obviously I can over-ride these rules in small cases; I wouldn't want someone waking me up at 6am if I was hung over...but sometimes you need a laugh at 6am!

Morality is, to a rational person, the ultimate breaking point when it comes to DEBATING with theists. Debating, all caps, because that is the key word. Not arguing, trolling, or flaming with/by/against theists, because if they come to do that...well, chances are they're never going to see reason, anyway. But in a genuine debate with an open-minded individual seeking logical understanding, morality is one of the cinching points. Morality in its most basic forms can be witnessed throughout the animal kingdom, and in many ways tend to be reflected within humanity, giving further evidence to evolutionary theory and our close relation with the other animals on this atmosphere-covered plant-rock. The argument tends to be that morality was given by god along with free will and that people choose to be immoral.

This is a fallacy. I daresay almost everyone here is a moral individual to some extent. I ask you; go against your own moral code. Not just in a small way; in a BIG way. Try it...and see what a struggle it is to do so. The bible makes it sound like people just up and abandon their morals overnight. Nobody...I retype this for sake of reiteration: NOBODY can do that. At all. It's one of those things that can take months, years, hell sometimes decades. And when it does, it's usually because of outside influences anyway. But even the sheltered goody-two-shoes catholic schoolgirl will find herself breathing heavily and struggling to contain a building urge in the presence of a pair of attractive shirtless males paying attention to her...even the Amish send their young men into the city when they come of age to experience a night of wild debauchery, to have their own experience before returning to the homestead. Why is all this? If god's moral law was truly the absolute one, the most powerful one, then it would be the most difficult moral code to break with. I, for one, cannot bring myself to shoot another man, regardless of whether or not he just looked at me funny. I might get into a fistfight, but I'm not ending his life. Breaking that moral code would be damn near impossible...if not simply something I could never do. Yet god's "moral codes," with their ridiculous demands, are the complete opposite; they're impossible to FOLLOW, not break!

How, then, is it that the morality we see in nature in primitive animals so much easier to follow than the ones supposedly instilled in us at the moment of our "creation?"

We all know the answer, of course: Because they weren't. They weren't instilled in us when we were created because we WEREN'T created. The biblical moral codes are impossible because they are codes made by men who tried to force their OWN moral ideals upon others...moral codes that have no logical or reasonable foundation, and in all truth were not even probably followed by the men forcing them upon others.

Me, I'm happy with humanist morality. It makes genuine sense in a sense of social, biological, civil, and ethical realms.

As Christopher Hitchens and others have pointed out: Are the religious basically saying that if they did not have their holy books telling them to not do these vile, murderous deeds...that they WOULD do these vile, murderous deeds? A troubling thought, indeed...
RE: Morality: Where do you get yours?
My moral code is based on an amalgamation of the golden rule and negative rights.
(May 10, 2012 at 8:06 am)Tiberius Wrote: My moral code is based on an amalgamation of the golden rule and negative rights.

Yeah, and how hard is it to understand? That's as simple and efficient as you can practically get. How do religious people NOT get it?? Why do they need a 1000 page long storybook to give their moral codes backing? Augh. I could think about that all day and never come to any meaningful conclusion, I suspect...
It's not just religious people who don't get it; quite a few people seem to misunderstand negative rights.
(May 10, 2012 at 8:12 am)Tiberius Wrote: It's not just religious people who don't get it; quite a few people seem to misunderstand negative rights.

Negative rights is something I admit I've only read about lightly but it's just basically the moral obligation to not act, if I'm not mistaken entirely.

Me myself I'm still gathering information to describe my exact moral codes. Ones I've described thus far fit me perfectly but I find something every week or so that fits to something I feel or consider to make sense. Truth be told these do not need names but, well...I refer to my analogy about seeing and hearing and how the eyes and ears work. Don't NEED to, but it's interesting stuff all the same.
It's pretty simple, I wouldn't want someone to kill me, steal my shit, or poke my eyes out. So I don't do that to other people. I will admit that I have somewhat sociopathic tendencies which sometimes makes it hard to really care about other people. I've become good at faking it though. Big Grin
(May 10, 2012 at 8:31 am)Mosrhun Wrote: It's pretty simple, I wouldn't want someone to kill me, steal my shit, or poke my eyes out. So I don't do that to other people. I will admit that I have somewhat sociopathic tendencies which sometimes makes it hard to really care about other people. I've become good a faking it though. Big Grin

Well morality doesn't necessarily imply or demand compassion.

For example: I have a warehouse full of all the fucks I cannot give about other peoples' shit. Those fucks are reserved for emergencies, like a friend ending up in the hospital or a woman being raped in an alley, shit like that. But I cannot freely give out my fucks to just anyone other than that. There are no fucks given for shit involving someone and their boyfriend or girlfriend. There are no fucks given about someone getting their dream career. There are CERTAINLY no fucks given for people outright refusing to do a damn thing to even try to help themselves, and you cannot conceive the amount of fucks I cannot give about rich people getting taxed more.

Morality demands nothing in the way of my fucks and those situations.
(May 10, 2012 at 8:39 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote:
(May 10, 2012 at 8:31 am)Mosrhun Wrote: It's pretty simple, I wouldn't want someone to kill me, steal my shit, or poke my eyes out. So I don't do that to other people. I will admit that I have somewhat sociopathic tendencies which sometimes makes it hard to really care about other people. I've become good a faking it though. Big Grin

Well morality doesn't necessarily imply or demand compassion.

For example: I have a warehouse full of all the fucks I cannot give about other peoples' shit. Those fucks are reserved for emergencies, like a friend ending up in the hospital or a woman being raped in an alley, shit like that. But I cannot freely give out my fucks to just anyone other than that. There are no fucks given for shit involving someone and their boyfriend or girlfriend. There are no fucks given about someone getting their dream career. There are CERTAINLY no fucks given for people outright refusing to do a damn thing to even try to help themselves, and you cannot conceive the amount of fucks I cannot give about rich people getting taxed more.

Morality demands nothing in the way of my fucks and those situations.

Kudos for excessive use of the word fuck.

It does somewhat matter when you're talking about the Golden Rule. If you don't give a shit about people all together then you're likely to not give a shit about how they feel when you hurt them or steal from them.
(May 10, 2012 at 8:42 am)Mosrhun Wrote: It does somewhat matter when you're talking about the Golden Rule. If you don't give a shit about people all together then you're likely to not give a shit about how they feel when you hurt them or steal from them.

Well the golden rule is just "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It's a matter more of respect and civility at lower levels. Not necessarily compassion, unless, you know, you WANT that from other people. Personally...I'd prefer respect, earned respect. Not fear, not love, just respect. Therefore I'd like other people to do things to earn my respect, instead of doing things to make me love or fear them.

Truth be told, someone tries to do something that makes me fear them, well...Golden Rule. Do unto others... Devil
There is very little that is not covered by the Golden Rule, even when it comes to rights.

I think Golden Rule plus Negative Rights has a few issues, since the golden rule often infers many positive rights, and becomes a matter of personal preference on how far that is taken.
I defy anyone who claims purely negative rights to refuse care to an abandoned baby in the streets for instance because it has no positive right to be fed or housed.

Your moral principles tend to be therefore gradients of these rights, as I would also confer the right to aforementioned baby, for medical care and education. Even where we apply both golden and negative rights, I am deeply suspicious of someone who would not wish to be helped if they fell on hard times.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1891 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6783 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10380 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37642 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1345 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8255 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8322 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3565 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4448 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2884 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm