Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Who am I to say rape and slavery are wrong?"
"Who am I to say rape and slavery are wrong?"
Just a little blurb I wrote about a meeting with a creationist I had. For this one, I really wanted to get the opinions of fellow atheists, and even non atheists alike. I didn't think of this situation until after I was face with it. I'd love any input on the writing or on the position alike. Thanks guys! Big Grin

"No, that title isn’t some sort of position I’m trying to make on my own here. This is an actual statement that was uttered to me by a kind, yet bold stanced fellow. I won’t name this person, as I don’t think it’s necessary. However, I will say, this is one of the few times in my life that I could truly describe my response as taken aback.

This man happened to be an officer of the law. He was certified by California Peace Officer Training, and was good to go as far as any police agency was concerned. I had met him, and conitnued talking to him after our initial meeting, mostly out of curiosity, as his well spoken nature was appealing to me. After all, it’s not often someone can get me to shut up long enough to listen.

I was able to listen quite adequetly to what it was he had to say. He was a firm believer in the most fundamentalist aspect of Christianity, in the sense that the earth is less than 10000 years old. At this point, I was a little put off. I had no idea he was that firm as a believer.

We debated for some time on the accuracies of science. As this a while ago, I didn’t know the aspects of measurement for aging of the earth, and could not answer his assertations that; “The science that’s being used to age the earth and the fossils in it are inadequete.” Of course, now I know this is completely false.

Up until now, I was enjoying this discussion. With any word he could say, I could find my opposition. After all, I’d studied religion for 8 years. I was very surprised, however–or should I say, taken aback–when I heard the next words escape his lips.

I had inquired about the disgusting acts encouraged or at the very least, tolerated, by God in the Old Testament. I had expected the usual apologist reasoning, involving metaphors and “Where else did it all come from?” Instead, I was greeted with a simple, and firmly placed

‘who am I to say slavery and rape are wrong?’

Think you read that wrong? I assure you, you didn’t. This is an officer of the law–responsible for upholding the peace and sanctity of our society, and this is the very belief that he holds. It isn’t just him–statistically speaking, if 20% of our population fundamentally agree with him, there are plenty more officers of the law sharing his viewpoints.

While you may say he’s misrepresenting, Christianity, he’s not. I’ve read the bible multiple times, and I can say honestly that he didn’t misrepresent any particular passage. As a matter of fact, his arguments were all directly from the bible. Many people will say he was simply not intelligent enough to discern different metaphorical meanings. The problem with this is that when the bible was written, it was exposed first and foremost to the most unintelligible civilization at the time–the illiterate middle east. As Hitchens says, “No, no, lets not appeal to the Chinese who can read and write–we’ll send the savior to the Middle East, where no one knows how to read or write.” I think God sent his son exactly where he wanted to, had the book written exactly how it’s written, and to be taken exactly the way the audience would take it. Call me presumptuous if you like, I’m not presuming I know who God is.

How can we truly assure a secularist society when such beliefs are so inherently accepted and believed? I would say it’s incredibly difficult to figure out a way to truly make the society I wish so badly to live in come true. None the less, we have to recognize that the effects of religion are not simply on our annoyance at the front of shopping malls.

This is something living and breathing within our society, and pushing out a comfortable nest of followers, encouraged by the concepts of life after death–those who fear the unknown, and need to know an answer. Those who can’t sit here and say “I don’t know what’s out there”. I say we don’t know–I say when we ask “Well then, who made it all?” we have asked the wrong question–

I think the question should be: “What made it all?”"
RE: "Who am I to say rape and slavery are wrong?"
(May 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm)Chris.Roth Wrote: ‘who am I to say slavery and rape are wrong?’

The Golden Rule says why just fine.

Been around much, much longer than Christianity. Much more useful as well.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
That's really incredible that even one person would think that. I really don't even know what to say. And then to think, these people are running entire countries.
(May 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm)Chris.Roth Wrote: ‘who am I to say slavery and rape are wrong?’
So I guess the ball is in your court. Prove that rape and slavery are wrong.

(May 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
So I guess the ball is in your court. Prove that rape and slavery are wrong.

The burden of proof in debate is quite easy to comprehend. I find it much harder to comprehend within a debate on morality, though. Sam Harris seems to make wonderful points regarding this, but I'm not quite as in tune with that argument as he is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's easy for anyone to say rape and slavery are wrong, but when diving into a debate on morality, it's a big big pool of messy messy word usage.
(May 14, 2012 at 11:08 pm)libalchris Wrote: That's really incredible that even one person would think that. I really don't even know what to say. And then to think, these people are running entire countries.

I agree. This is why I write every single day, whether I post or not, to try and see if we can't fix this sometime in the future. Sadly, I must recognize most writers never live long enough to see the change they make.
If you mean "who am I to decide moral imperatives?" I agree, just as you may not decide what are NOT moral imperatives.

In MY daily life, such things such as rape, murder and sodomising altar boys are immoral. The majority of people in my society seem to agree with me.We even have laws with very unpleasant consequences for people caught doing those things.

However, I do not recognise any external or transcendent moral authority. The principles of my moral values are based on self interest,pragmatism, utilitarianism and conscience.When push comes to shove,self interest usually wins.(as I believe is the case with most people most of the time)
(May 14, 2012 at 11:51 pm)padraic Wrote: If you mean "who am I to decide moral imperatives?" I agree, just as you may not decide what are NOT moral imperatives.

In MY daily life, such things such as rape, murder and sodomising altar boys are immoral. The majority of people in my society seem to agree with me.We even have laws with very unpleasant consequences for people caught doing those things.

However, I do not recognise any external or transcendent moral authority. The principles of my moral values are based on self interest,pragmatism, utilitarianism and conscience.When push comes to shove,self interest usually wins.(as I believe is the case with most people most of the time)

I think moral authority is a very interesting thing to cover in this discussion. Lets say religion had never existed. (I know, crazy world, right?) Morality, for me, seems to have come from great philosophers such as Socrates who had examined society and said "hmm...we feel better when we do these things and don't do these things." Is it possible to use neuroscience to track the happiness of ones brain, and determine morality that way? Is this a fallacy? Is this in some way inadequete for establishing morality within modern science?
Your subconscious knows, but your conscious doesn't.
Quote:Morality, for me, seems to have come from great philosophers such as Socrates who had examined society

A bit too complex for me.Morality apparently existed in some in form from neolithic times, and has even been observed in chimps.

If there one reason for morality it is pragmatism; it has survival value,but is always subjective. If morality was objective with an external authority,it would be universal,absolute and unchanging, but it is none of those things.This position is called moral relativism.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote:Moral relativism may be any of several philosophical positions concerned with the differences in moral judgments across different people and cultures. Descriptive moral relativism holds only that some people do in fact disagree about what is moral; meta-ethical moral relativism holds that in such disagreements, nobody is objectively right or wrong; and normative moral relativism holds that because nobody is right or wrong, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when we disagree about the morality of it.

Not all descriptive relativists adopt meta-ethical relativism, and moreover, not all meta-ethical relativists adopt normative relativism. Richard Rorty, for example, argued that relativist philosophers believe "that the grounds for choosing between such opinions is less algorithmic than had been thought," but not that any belief is equally as valid as any other.[1]

Moral relativism has been espoused, criticized, and debated for thousands of years, from ancient Greece and India down to the present day, in diverse fields including philosophy, science, and religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism
So your point would be that morality, on a greater scale, is a way for human beings to survive the evolutionary progression? This is an argument I happen to agree with if you're making it, in this sense--
We have many evolutionary advantages as humans. Physical Strength is NOT our greatest. If you think about it, we can be physically overpowered by many other beasts within nature. However, our minds are unmatched. This must be our evolutionary advantage. If our minds emulate the feeling of "I feel bad when I see a pregnant woman being beaten to death, but I don't feel bad when I see a pregnant woman given a foot massage..Rather I feel GOOD for that woman." This ensures the survival of both the mother and the baby, and the relaxation of the mother is in fact encouraged. (Which may result in a healthier baby)?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1162 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1436 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11366 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23481 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2874 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do as I say, not as I do thool 22 7194 May 29, 2017 at 4:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is it fair to say? purplepurpose 53 6651 December 23, 2016 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman