Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why worship god?
Question 
why worship god?
I'm sure that the majority of the opposition that has been made against atheism in all of our lifetimes is that there IS a god, however, what perplexes me (besides the obvious issue of there being no reason to agree with this) is why this would necessitate worship? If we assume for a moment that god does exist, why would we be obliged to worship him/her/it? After all, that something was created by something implies no logical reason for worship, If i created the whole being of another human I would not necessarily need to be worshiped for this as I clearly had my own intentions for doing so.

What reasons can you think of for or against this? because I'm at a dead end in terms of the intrinsic value of God, even if it were to exist. Thanks Smile
RE: why worship god?
If you refuse to worship this "god" of theirs (were he to be real), he would send you to a nice little vacation spot called Hell, which is short for 'Eternal Damnation'. So, if "god" were real... that is the reason to 'worship' it. Nice, eh?
If he is that much of a douche that if I don't worship him then he's going to burn me for eternity I'd probably prefer the devil, seems like a pretty moderate guy by comparison...at least he's consistent. I don't think a vengeful murderer god really deserves much praise...
If a God were to exist, especially the one of the bible, I would still refuse to worship it. The way the most popular ones are depicted are as petty tyrants. I'm sure I'd go to hell for some minor shit I'd done, so there's no point trying.
why worship god?
Why worship God? Because as a believer you are told to.

This is one reason religion never struck it off with me. If this God, whichever one I may be, requires the worship of such an insignificant race as ours then it speaks volumes of the type of being he, she or "it" is.

In reality religion is probably the greatest practical joke of all time. You spend your entire life worshipping a figment of human imagination only to die and never realise it was all for nothing. It's kind of like sending somebody somewhere having instructed them to ask for a 'long wait'... Only this one can last decades.
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
Honestly, I'd rather be condemned than be submissive to a controlling god, or human for that matter.
The god of the Bible is cruel and hateful to women and children. He doesn't deserve my worship.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(May 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm)Annik Wrote: The god of the Bible is cruel and hateful to women and children. He doesn't deserve my worship.

He knows he doesn't. Which is why he has to resort to threats and bribery to get it.
you forgot homosexuals, jews, atheists, women who wear trousers, long-haired men, poor people, rich people, ill people, tradesmen, samaritans, idols, prophets, wankers and free thinkers
I think a lot of people worship god simply because they believe that's what he wants. That and the hell thing.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3254 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Bloody poll: would you worship a God whose existence was certain? Whateverist 75 19803 March 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Would atheist worship The biblical God if his existence was proven? Sinnersburninhell100 110 24537 January 13, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3558 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Can Atheists Worship/love the Divine? Yes. Mystic 55 21974 February 19, 2012 at 3:05 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5158 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith