Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on social skills this summer
Working on social skills this summer
This last year at the age of 23, I feel like I have woken up from a dream and been talking all my life without ever thinking.

And now when i conversate - i see some of the awkard things i say - but when i say them, i dont get any flags in my brain - and it seems normal and i dont notice til after i say it.

ie: in my game i joined a "RP" guild, and was talking with the leader. and was saying how my old guild was always putting down people who were of "lower rank in guild" and stuff. Then i realised this was another RP guild - and went by the same rules of rank system...and i was like, ugh g2g.

And if im like talking to a girl, ill just talk, but when i look back at the texts i am so hyper, like messages full of LOL and !!!!

and i come off so strong and desperate - it sucks.

I love talking to people, but I always say the wrong thing. ie: ill be talking to a christian, and ill say something that they dont support, and then realise it AFTER i say it....can yall understand where i am coming from and what i am trying to say?
RE: Working on social skills this summer
You sound pretty desperate...

Lol jk, I totally know what you mean sistah.
I usually just don't say anything at all, but I understand the pressures very well.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RPG guild? I don't know why anyone would require a guild for that. We just get together with friends.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I understand you Zentor.
I have no desire to filter what I say, so the first thing that pops into my head, I say out loud. People who know me think it's funny and adorable that I'm straightforward and people who don't know me think it's rudeness and insolence. I've gotten better on being diplomatic, but I find that it takes away from my personality.
But don't worry, you can train yourself to think a couple of seconds and maybe rephrase something that you were about to say or write. It just takes patience and a lot of practice. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

"Too many unstable words are spoken
by him who ne'er holds his peace;
the hasty tongue sings its own mishap
if it be not bridled in."

Smile
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: People who know me think it's funny and adorable

Toot your own trumpet Kay Wink
(May 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Toot your own trumpet Kay Wink

Hey! No tooting, out of 7 billion people, there is bound to be a few (albeit, they're not abundant Tongue) who actually like me, despite my lack of rhetorical prowess ! And I wouldn't know of this, if they hadn't told me Wink
I just wanted to prove to Zentor that you can be the socially awkward penguin and still be liked.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Kayenne I am the same way. People like me when they get to know me
But when I meet new people their like "with is wrong with him?"

And girls think I'm "the funniest guy ever and am perfect - for anyone else."

I agree, been working on changing and feel like I'm totally killing
Off my old personality. But seeing how Im not happy with my
Old self I don't mind. (Even I think I'm a dweeb sometimes.)
I think it's kinda sad that we have to conform so much to be accepted.
Guess that's just life.
But I think people are more friendly irl. In my online games, they will
Troll people just for simple spelling errors. I like to relax on
The computer, not proofread every message.
And whats with the people that try to be superior by ending every
Message with a "." ?

Like "Oh, hi Zentor."
"I'll be right back."
"Ok."
And when they srs - ya get the dreaded single k with the period
"k."

And most these guys are like high school kids that say they're 20+.

Please stop trying to look so smart online. Your
proper spelling isn't fooling anyone
Two' secrets'

Actually listen to the other person. There is a skill you can learn called 'active listening'.

Ask open questions eg: "what do you think about --" and DON'T interupt! Show an interests in the person and get him/her to talk about THEIR interest and THEIR life.

Quote:Active listening is a communication technique that requires the listener to feed back what he hears to the speaker, by way of re-stating or paraphrasing what he has heard in his own words, to confirm what he has heard and moreover, to confirm the understanding of both parties. The ability to listen actively demonstrates sincerity, and that nothing is being assumed or taken for granted. Active listening is most often used to improve personal relationships, reduce misunderstanding and conflicts, strengthen cooperation, and foster understanding. It is proactive, accountable and professional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_listening

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 439 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What ya got growing this summer? brewer 11 485 June 5, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I no longer accept social distancing. onlinebiker 11 1170 April 13, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 777 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Xmas working... LastPoet 10 671 December 26, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2030 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ya knooow, Monica smells; oh ma gosh!: implicit hate and grudge in social life WinterHold 10 1421 July 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Social media and sexual harrasment GODZILLA 40 5283 July 5, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How would you respond? (A social experiment) Foxaèr 53 5684 March 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation Alexmahone 10 1596 March 17, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: AFTT47