Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a Break
Taking a Break
Most of you here probably don't really know me that well. I haven't really spoken directly to any of you atheists here but instead have enjoyed discussing with the theists mostly. Well, lately I feel like the discussions I enjoy having with the theists on this forum get drowned out by an incredible amount of faeces flung by atheists in the form of hateful and poorly thought out posts that lack creativity and respect. As a consequence I personally feel I have been wasting my time checking up on new posts in various threads. It's gotten so bad that I have even developed a psychic skill where I can predict the sort of reply that has been left depending on the poster who last posted.

I'm not saying all this to have a cry and point fingers. I have actually noticed that maybe there's not much more to be debating about if all that can be done is fling crap all over the place. Maybe there's not much more to refute in the eyes of you atheists and hence boredom has set in. I don't know, but all I know is that for now I think I'm done here and I've gotten what I wanted out of online discussion. I'm a new man that has intellectually matured through listening to what different walks of life have to say about our existence. This is probably why I'm kind of annoyed though, because I crave more knowledge and I want to keep growing and get a deeper understanding about various things but that doesn't get fed anymore.

I'll still log on and check some threads, but I don't think there's an incentive to really express myself all that much anymore. Anyways, you 'adults' can get back to it now Wink. Fling that shite high and far.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Taking a Break
Sorry you feel that way, but most of us have probably had some bad experiences with religion and know the harm that it causes, so the hostility is quite understandable.
I think everyone on here gets tired hearing the same old shit and repeating themselves. I sometimes take breaks. Sometimes I come on here to laugh at idiots and sometimes debate with them, but mostly I do laugh at them an awful lot. They're so uneducated. Tongue

Anyway, go out, have some hot chocolate, some coffee, have fun with a sexy woman and engage in a few hobbies and when you feel like laughing at theists some more, come back.
That's what I do. Big Grin

Most of the time I find myself trying to educate rather than debate. You can't teach the deeply religious, just as you can't reason with them, because they don't want to know. So I stick to laughing at them.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Thanks for the reply guys.

Panglossian Wrote:Sorry you feel that way, but most of us have probably had some bad experiences with religion and know the harm that it causes, so the hostility is quite understandable.

My apologies. As I wrote this post I completely forgot about this possibility. I understand fully where those atheists are coming from and I guess their 'emotional' baggage (for a lack of a better word) with Christianity is possibly what defines their posting style.

Ace Otana Wrote:I think everyone on here gets tired hearing the same old shit and repeating themselves. I sometimes take breaks. Sometimes I come on here to laugh at idiots and sometimes debate with them, but mostly I do laugh at them an awful lot. So uneducated.

Anyway, go out, have some hot chocolate, some coffee, have fun with a sexy woman and engage in a few hobbies and when you feel like laughing at theists some more, come back.
That's what I do. D

Most of the time I find myself trying to educate rather than debate. You can't teach the deeply religious, just as you can't reason with them, because they don't want to know. So I stick to laughing at them.

Some good advice there. I'll have to pass on laughing at theists though Wink
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(June 3, 2012 at 7:20 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Thanks for the reply guys.

Panglossian Wrote:Sorry you feel that way, but most of us have probably had some bad experiences with religion and know the harm that it causes, so the hostility is quite understandable.

My apologies. As I wrote this post I completely forgot about this possibility. I understand fully where those atheists are coming from and I guess their 'emotional' baggage (for a lack of a better word) with Christianity is possibly what defines their posting style.

No need to apologise; I personally think you have a valid complaint. Grudges do not vindicate abusive behaviour (although if the theist in question started it, then it's ok ) Wink
Why not head over to FreethoughtForums? That might be more your style, it's still in its early stages but it's got a different vibe going for it.

(June 3, 2012 at 6:59 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I'm not saying all this to have a cry and point fingers.
\/
Quote:Anyways, you 'adults' can get back to it now Wink. Fling that shite high and far.

Seems like you are pointing fingers, at least in a general direction.
[Image: x976Z.jpg]

I give props to anyone who still tries, though. You'd be hard pressed to find a topic on religions here that hasn't been discussed extensively. Most of us lose our tempers because it's so damn frustrating. I throw shit sometimes for that reason. It's like, can't those motherfuckers google?

Anyway, I hope you come back. Sometimes a little break does do the trick.

Like Napo said, FTF is a friendlier atmosphere.
Panglossian Wrote:No need to apologise; I personally think you have a valid complaint. Grudges do not vindicate abusive behaviour (although if the theist in question started it, then it's ok).

Well, if people are here to look for a fight then I suggest they go to their nearest bar instead!

Napoleon Wrote:Why not head over to FreethoughtForums? That might be more your style, it's still in its early stages but it's got a different vibe going for it.

Actually, all of this has got me thinking that maybe it's time for me to face reality. Ever since I deconverted 3-4 months ago I have used online forums to express my new self. I haven't said a word to any real life friends and have just been going with the flow. That way I can avoid all the drama but I feel like I'm not exactly free just yet. Maybe I can only be truly free in life once I start discussing the things I have discussed on here with the people around me in real life...

aleialoura Wrote:I give props to anyone who still tries, though. You'd be hard pressed to find a topic on religions here that hasn't been discussed extensively. Most of us lose our tempers because it's so damn frustrating. I throw shit sometimes for that reason. It's like, can't those motherfuckers google?

Anyway, I hope you come back. Sometimes a little break does do the trick.

I guess I'm not even close to being tired (if ever) of reading their posts because I'm pretty young at 21 and I'm relatively new to all the ideas around here.

Tiberius Wrote:Like Napo said, FTF is a friendlier atmosphere.

I'll have a lurk for a while. See what sort of people show up =)
FallentoReason Wrote:Actually, all of this has got me thinking that maybe it's time for me to face reality. Ever since I deconverted 3-4 months ago I have used online forums to express my new self. I haven't said a word to any real life friends and have just been going with the flow. That way I can avoid all the drama but I feel like I'm not exactly free just yet. Maybe I can only be truly free in life once I start discussing the things I have discussed on here with the people around me in real life...

This is a good idea. I started calling myself an atheist a couple of years ago, and was terrified at first to admit it to anyone (most people in this area are either Protestant or Catholic). However, when I started to openly discuss it with people, they were really supportive and didn't care a jot that I didn't agree with them. Extremely lucky to be honest.
Hopefully the people in your life will be this cool with it too Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2337 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 282 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4178 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  I'm going to have to break a promise! Mystic 19 3877 March 20, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Idiot's guide to taking care of a frying pan? Chad32 29 4693 February 23, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Heart Important To All My Friends: Seriously taking an AF break. Edwardo Piet 49 4000 December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6128 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Taking care of elderly family being only child. Brian37 22 3852 December 12, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Moms not taking my atheism well. IanHulett 7 1215 January 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Strider
  Taking a break bladevalant546 10 1814 November 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox