Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11 Years in Prison for Posting on an Atheist Website
11 Years in Prison for Posting on an Atheist Website
Quote:June 12, 2012
It is hard to imagine a less hateful person than Alexander Aan. Mild and soft-spoken, the 30-year-old Indonesian bureaucrat recently told Al Jazeera, in an interview conducted just outside his jail cell, “As a democracy and part of the global community, because we are not isolated from the outside world, I think we should be more tolerant. Nobody hurts anyone simply because he has different ideas.” And yet Aan is facing up to 11 years in prison for blasphemy and inciting religious hatred because he voiced his skepticism about Islam on Facebook.

http://www.alternet.org/story/155746/11_...age=entire
RE: 11 Years in Prison for Posting on an Atheist Website
(June 14, 2012 at 3:54 am)cratehorus Wrote:
Quote:Prosecutors have charged Aan under the Electronic Information and Transaction Law, which prohibits inciting hatred or enmity of a religious group, and under the country’s blasphemy provision, Article 156a, which criminalizes “hostility, hatred or contempt” and “disgracing” of a religion. Article 156a also prohibits attempts to persuade others to leave their religion and embrace atheism.
Which, according to most theists, would be “hostility, hatred or contempt” and “disgracing” of a religion. IOW, the law violates itself. I guess the members of the legislature are too stupid to understand the law they passed according to their own definitions.

Quote:The Indonesian legal system is designed for unequal treatment of unbelievers. The constitution officially recognizes the religions of Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism, and stipulates that every citizen must believe in a supreme being.
Why doesn't it also require that God exist, and other impossible demands?

Quote:A government that singles out some citizens’ conceptions of the sacred for official protection is guilty of a gross failure of equal treatment. This principle of equality is supported by recent developments in international human rights law. Last summer the United Nations Human Rights Committee commented that laws restricting blasphemy are inherently discriminatory because they give to traditional believers a legal protection that is not available to the religiously heterodox or secular.
Fortunately, for the moron set, statements like the one made by the UN have no force.
Fuck Indonesia.
and all the rest of the fascist towel-heads.
Speak with wallet, no tour country.
Trying to update my sig ...
Didn't know Indonesia was so fucked up. Fuck them.
I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them

-- Galileo Galilei
People want to know why I am so "in your face" AND WHY claims should not get taboo status and an asshole should be called an asshole, in this case, their childish government.

THIS IS WHY!

I dare anyone who has blasted me here for my tactics to ask that guy facing 11 years in prison what he would think if a "fuck you" should end you up in prison? Because again, another example of an insult does not have to be cussing. He might as well have said "fuck god" because simply saying "I don't believe" amounts to the same thing, which is why he may go to prison. And for what?

If it should not be a crime to say "I don't believe". And in the west it is not a crime to say "fuck", then we need to be aware of the fact that it is a bad idea to project ones own desires on others when it comes to thoughts and how we express them, ESPECIALLY when we give power to government.

This is why I get a lip twitch, this is what happens when you coddle insecurities of others.
You need to remember, Brian, that you are dealing with a nation run by primitive fucks and also that, if they could get away with it, the xtian shitheads over here would do the same thing and sleep like babies.

The only difference is that here secular power keeps the nut jobs under control.
(June 17, 2012 at 1:35 am)Minimalist Wrote: You need to remember, Brian, that you are dealing with a nation run by primitive fucks and also that, if they could get away with it, the xtian shitheads over here would do the same thing and sleep like babies.

The only difference is that here secular power keeps the nut jobs under control.

Right which is WHY I get down on my well intended friends who insist on "play nice" in all contexts all the time.

I do not see how picking on someone's god, politics or claim on any subject, or even cussing deserves any prison time. The worst being a dick deserves is being called a dick.

This is what happens when you always insist others don't offend you.
There are plenty of xtians who think the Indonesians have the right idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shiny New Political Website BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1317 August 29, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1552 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It Took the Republicunts 8 Years To Come Up With This? Minimalist 84 9382 March 16, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  For 8 Years No One Heard A Word From Dubya Minimalist 10 1985 February 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Predictions for the next four years TaraJo 45 7748 December 24, 2016 at 9:55 am
Last Post: tjakey
  Will America survive the next 4 years NuclearEnergy 17 1889 December 20, 2016 at 2:09 am
  Holy Shit! For The First Time in 120 Years Minimalist 5 990 September 28, 2016 at 11:54 am
  BalancedRebelion.com interesting website for 3rd party voters ReptilianPeon 0 691 September 13, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Lewis Black Brilliantly Predicts the Trump Campaign 4 Years Ago Minimalist 0 583 August 31, 2016 at 1:38 pm
  42 Years Ago Minimalist 1 534 May 12, 2016 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: abaris