Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodney King dead at 47
Rodney King dead at 47
Google it, you WILL find it.

The guy who ran from cops and got beaten by them on tape which lead to the LA riots later to say "'Cant we all just get along" was found dead at the bottom of his swimming pool.

Now while no law abiding citizen would condone what he did that attracted cops to him for the initial stop. Looking at the infamous tape it was clear, at least to me, that at that point, the cops were in the wrong. There were dozens of cops surrounding him. I do not see why that many cops couldn't have taken him down quickly.

What can happen with groups in times of stress is that their adrenaline can kick in and restraint can fly out the window. There is no way I can side with the cops, from the time the video starts to the time it ends.
RE: Rodney King dead at 47
A news article for people who actually like to read things first:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/rod...at-47.html

Looks to me like his long standing addictions might've got the better of him.

And from his record, it looks like he always struggled with them, up to the end.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(June 17, 2012 at 6:07 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: A news article for people who actually like to read things first:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/rod...at-47.html

Looks to me like his long standing addictions might've got the better of him.

And from his record, it looks like he always struggled with them, up to the end.
What makes you think I did not. I watched the CNN special documentary a couple weeks go. He never said after that event or during that documentary that he was perfect and admitted to his ongoing struggles. But until the autopsy comes in, while your guess is a good one, even if he wasn't on anything at the time of his death, addictions can catch up to you after the fact, smoking is a prime example.

But it still does not change my assessment of that video, at the time the video started I saw no reason why they couldn't take him down with less violence and much quicker.

It is not to ask anyone to care about him, but to care about OURSELVES, long term if we are faced with law enforcement, for any reason.
Far too many cops in this country seem to think they have a right to beat the shit out of anyone they want.
(June 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Far too many cops in this country seem to think they have a right to beat the shit out of anyone they want.

I'm proud to say that doesn't happen in Australia. Upset the police here and they just shoot you.Angel Cloud
(June 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm)padraic Wrote:
(June 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Far too many cops in this country seem to think they have a right to beat the shit out of anyone they want.

I'm proud to say that doesn't happen in Australia. Upset the police here and they just shoot you.Angel Cloud

Shoot first and as questions later are what China does and even worse, Iran. Why should law enforcement training be based on all mistrust and presumption of guilt? What happens when they harm the innocent and that person dies because of a "shoot first" policy?

Like I said, Dirty Harry is great for Hollywood, but for real life, it can become an abuse of power which cannot avoid hurting someone truly innocent at some point.

I personally have had the preference that it is better to let the guilty go free than presumption of guilt as a default. Those who take this hardline stance don't when their own rights get assaulted by government. It is easy to talk tough, it is much harder to defend yourself from government.

I'd prefer much more worrying about my neighbor committing a crime than the government becoming the criminal.
Well, I'm glad the police don't all carry guns here.
Cunt
(June 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm)frankiej Wrote: Well, I'm glad the police don't all carry guns here.

Well, if the Texas virus spreads worldwide, eventually you will have no choice. America masturbates over guns, and while I am not against them in every context, we certainly do have a sick fascination with them.

Our love of guns isn't healthy. Canada has private gun ownership and nowhere near the amount of gun violence, not even a fraction of it. Owning a gun is not my issue, our all or nothing mentality and celebrity stalker NRA nonsense wont allow us to make reasonable laws that keep all camps happy while reducing gun violence.

America still suffers the John Wayne Dirty Harry worship.
(June 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Well, if the Texas virus spreads worldwide, eventually you will have no choice.

Don't worry, it won't come to that. You might not know how much we look down upon Americans over here (not as much as I look down upon the English though). Tongue

Shit like that makes us laugh... I don't speak for everyone in Scotland, but just almost everyone I know. Big Grin
Cunt
(June 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(June 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Well, if the Texas virus spreads worldwide, eventually you will have no choice.

Don't worry, it won't come to that. You might not know how much we look down upon Americans over here (not as much as I look down upon the English though). Tongue

Shit like that makes us laugh... I don't speak for everyone in Scotland, but just almost everyone I know. Big Grin

If anything, the UK's gun regulations have gotten tighter over the recent years, what with Hungerford and the killing spree in Cumbria 2 years ago.

The Tories won't change gun laws, cos it won't make them richer, and labour won't change them cos they won't make the tories poorer. /stereotypes
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just fu-king evil! Gawdzilla Sama 27 1579 January 7, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  King of the hill thread, win a prize. leo-rcc 1495 141285 September 13, 2011 at 2:38 am
Last Post: leo-rcc