Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irritation with "meaningless life" claims and "Pascal's Wager"...
Irritation with "meaningless life" claims and "Pascal's Wager"...
Does this bug anyone else?

"Oh an ATHEIST... isn't your life just meaningless then?"

or

"You may as well just believe or you might end up in Hell! There's no advantage to being an atheist."

etc etc!

What people don't seem to get is that yes atheism IMO can be scary with regards to afterlife or lack thereof but that doesn't mean it doesn't have advantages. How about getting your Sundays back? How about a life without rule and without possible delusion? Isn't that worth something?

Sorry, mini-rant! haha Smile

Mike ^^
"Minds are like parachutes - they both work best when open."

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
RE: Irritation with "meaningless life" claims and "Pascal's Wager"...
It is hard for people to realize that the fear tactics don't work for people who put no stock in religious texts etc. It isn't a problem with all believers but some are just about in a different universe.

Yes... Pascal's wager + the your life is pointless bit pisses me off. I have a hard time seeing how having 90% + of the world get fucked, doing everything for the sake of a supposedly loving god, and having weird rules to follow is a "good life". Not to mention the fact that the need for "saving the lost" is the fault of God in the first place if Christianity is true....

The whole system just collapses on itself... ugh....
They don't understand (and probably never will) that you can't scare an atheist with hell. We don't believe hell exists. It's just a silly belief. They do seem afraid of reality, that there is no god looking out for them, no afterlife to go to and that when you die you'll cease to exist.

Pascal's wager can be turned around, because perhaps they believe in the wrong god and they will end up hell themselves anyway. It's all baseless assertions.

I think it's far better to just ignore religious freaks and live your life. You can easily find a sense of meaning/purpose in it. There doesn't have to be some afterlife for there to be a purpose. It seems they get their sense of purpose from belief in some afterlife, as if it's the only thing that matters. They must really fear and detest reality. So much so they feel the need to cover it up with lies.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
[Image: LP-1198-You-Cant-Scare-Me-I-have-Childre...s-X385.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
A bit of a tangent but I find plenty of meaning with the human prospect and the continuity of civilization.

We will die but humanity and our civilization may live on. Our contribution, however small, provides enough meaning for me.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I still try to reason with theists depending on the situation... One thing I think is good to ask them is "If something is temporary does it have no value?". If they are married and they answer temporary has no value then they are saying love/companionship is meaningless. They are also saying just about every facet of their life has no meaning.
Most theists irritate me when they inhale and exhale on a regular basis.
I've never come across that. A couple of married friends we have , one is born again Christian, the other Catholic, I am agnostic or atheist [can't make my mind up] and my partner is Jewish. We get on great, they are the best friends ever and we debate about faith or no faith a lot and never argue. Each believes the other should think how they want to do
Most Christians are okay. It's the ones that feel they must preach to the atheists on the interwebz that tend to be the most irritating.
(June 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Most Christians are okay. It's the ones that feel they must preach to the atheists on the interwebz that tend to be the most irritating.

I find them funny. They give some of he best laughs on this site at least.

Still, it does sadden me that the morons actually believe such of obvious crap.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2799 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 44127 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
  Why all god claims fail. Brian37 103 13236 April 21, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Shadow_Man
  Let's play Pascals wager expanded edition dyresand 4 1960 September 24, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12418 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Pascal's wager: Why is anyone dumb enough to use it Lemonvariable72 6 3262 May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8159 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Did Pascal really think about it? Psychonaut 19 4248 February 26, 2014 at 7:39 pm
  Bill Nye Found Dead. Suspect apprehended claims "God made me do it" Gooders1002 30 6569 February 24, 2014 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7871 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72