Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A step in the right direction
A step in the right direction
The Finnish government intends to cut back on the hours put on teaching religion. Interior minister Päivi Räsänen, who is part of the Christian Democracy party, is not too pleased, but education minister Jukka Gustavsson (of the Social Democrat party) would like to fill the hours with PE and social education. As it looks now, the government will try and make the changes to the syllabus in 2016.

Once again, Finnish education FTW!

\o/
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: A step in the right direction
I'd argue the time would be better spend learning all the damage that religion has caused to humanity rather than doing even more press ups.
Indeed. But concidering that we have a bad case of children with type 2 diabetes over here, I'd say that PE is not the worst class to add more of. Besides, hopefully the extra social studies could take care of the reflection and how religion has impacted societies without the looming shadow of Christianity over the teacher and pupils heads.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

How is PE going to improve their diet?
It doesn't "fix their diet" asshat.

Read again:
(June 26, 2012 at 11:25 am)Kayenneh Wrote: But concidering that we have a bad case of children with type 2 diabetes over here, I'd say that PE is not the worst class to add more of.

Let's learn something:
Wikipedia Wrote:Type 2 diabetes is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary modification. If blood glucose levels are not adequately lowered by these measures, medications such as metformin or insulin may be needed. In those on insulin there is typically the requirement to routinely check blood sugar levels.
REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_2

Was that so fucking hard?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
And what more, health education is incorporated in our PE classes, which gives the children a chance to change their habits and understand the dangers of unhealthy living.

Running around a field for an extra hour is not going to stop them binge eating at McDonalds afterwards.

The problem is diet. Fast food is too cheap.
Uhm.. Not in Finland. Here it's expensive as fuck to eat out FYI.

(June 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Running around a field for an extra hour is not going to stop them binge eating at McDonalds afterwards.

The problem is diet. Fast food is too cheap.

That's total bullshit.

You have yet to establish that:
A) They are binging on McDonalds
B) Their diabetes is a result of overeating

Utter crap you threw there.

But kind of you to leap to assuming the kids are "binge eating" (which implies a disorder). There are other routes to juvenile onset diabetes. Did you even read the wikipedia page? That bare minimum for information?

Nice guy you are.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I can't be arsed to defend what my own eyeballs see to someone who's pissed off with me already.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/j...-fast-food

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbi...64956.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to end police shootings in one easy step. CapnAwesome 145 10488 July 22, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  A Legitimate First Step Minimalist 0 341 July 9, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Brazil is headed in the right direction Foxaèr 1 594 April 23, 2014 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mubarak to Step Down Rayaan 25 5646 March 9, 2011 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Rayaan