Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Activist Judges" and the BS far right.....
"Activist Judges" and the BS far right.....
If it were not for the SCOTUS, and their only job was to always maintain the status quo, we'd still live in the age of segregation and women not voting.

Yet  today, watching the SCOTUS hearings, I am hearing from every GOP member the same old "good ol days" bullshit, claim of " strict originalist" interpretation.

There was even one asshole GOP senator that had the gall to claim that the three branches were not "co-equal".  And what he really meant by that is that "It isn't fair if I don't get everything I want."
RE: "Activist Judges" and the BS far right.....
Originalist interpretation is stupid. Who gives a fuck what the founding fathers wanted. If they have a problem with what we're doing, they can bitch about it all they like.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(October 12, 2020 at 1:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If it were not for the SCOTUS, and their only job was to always maintain the status quo, we'd still live in the age of segregation and women not voting.

Yet  today, watching the SCOTUS hearings, I am hearing from every GOP member the same old "good ol days" bullshit, claim of " strict originalist" interpretation.

There was even one asshole GOP senator that had the gall to claim that the three branches were not "co-equal".  And what he really meant by that is that "It isn't fair if I don't get everything I want."

Well, that 'asshole GOP senator' was correct - the three branches are not co-equal. They're supposed to be, they were intended to be, but the legislative and judicial branches (both parties) have gradually ceded more and more power to the executive.

It's always seemed to me that originalism is a failed argument.  Your founders were clever enough to know that the Constitution was a flawed document, which is why they included a mechanism to change it from time to time.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Activist Judge = one that rules in a manner contrary to what YOU want.
(October 12, 2020 at 2:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 12, 2020 at 1:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If it were not for the SCOTUS, and their only job was to always maintain the status quo, we'd still live in the age of segregation and women not voting.

Well, that 'asshole GOP senator' was correct - the three branches are not co-equal. They're supposed to be, they were intended to be, but the legislative and judicial branches (both parties) have gradually ceded more and more power to the executive.

It's always seemed to me that originalism is a failed argument.  Your founders were clever enough to know that the Constitution was a flawed document, which is why they included a mechanism to change it from time to time.

Boru

NO HE WAS NOT....... His argument was to maintain the status quo. And certainly throughout the history of the court, it has. But that same court has also told the social norms of it's time, "No, you cannot step on the rights of others, merely because you are the majority."
(October 12, 2020 at 2:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 12, 2020 at 2:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, that 'asshole GOP senator' was correct - the three branches are not co-equal. They're supposed to be, they were intended to be, but the legislative and judicial branches (both parties) have gradually ceded more and more power to the executive.

Boru

NO HE WAS NOT....... His argument was to maintain the status quo. And certainly throughout the history of the court, it has. But that same court has also told the social norms of it's time, "No, you cannot step on the rights of others, merely because you are the majority."

YES HE WAS.  Are you denying that the power of the executive has eclipsed that of the other two branches?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
People tend to pick a political philosophy that's convenient for what they want.  Our constitution makes it very hard to change things at a Federal level.  So people who don't want things to change... of course they're going to claim 'originalism'.  Nevermind the fact that the writers of the constitution themselves didn't agree on what said document meant in many cases.  No principles are involved in this argument except for convenience.  That's true of most politics IMO.

Our constitution is just a political tool.  To be quoted and wielded like the bible.  George W. Bush was right when he said it was just a godddamn piece of paper.  But it's a very useful goddamn piece of paper if people believe in it.  And what better way to sell your point than to convince every barely-educated American out there that he's a fucking constitutional scholar?  The Right has been hammering on that for most of my life- and they've been wildly successful with that tactic.

The Right can only be defeated by a supermajority.  Yeah, it's not fair... but it's a fact.  A slim majority will *never* be enough, given the structure of our system.

Rural white people like myself have some serious built-in structural advantages in our political system... the most obvious ones being the electoral college and massive overrepresentation in the House and the Senate.  Most of that won't change in our lifetimes.

Now, it seems to me that deliberately alienating one of the largest (and THE most structurally advantaged) voting blocks in the U.S. would be a bad idea.  For a party that actually wants to win elections and change policy, that is.  I'm still not convinced that the Democrats have any real interest in changing much of anything.  I think they're basically paid to fail... whether they're aware of that or not.
Quote:Activist Judge = one that rules in a manner contrary to what YOU want.
Activist Judge = Someone who rules in a Partisan manner .Unless your delusional enough to believe supreme court is neutral .

originalism is a myth 

https://news.gsu.edu/research-magazine/f...riginalism

http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2020/10/the-myt...judge.html
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Rural whites aren't represented, at all. That's a huge part of why the white victimization narrative plays. In lieu of actual representation and policies that might be able to tackle rural blight - we get race baiting nonsense.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2020 at 12:49 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Rural whites aren't represented, at all.  That's a huge part of why the white victimization narrative plays.  In lieu of actual representation and policies that might be able to tackle rural blight - we get race baiting nonsense.

Rural white people are vastly overrepresented in the House and Senate, compared to their population.  As for race-baiting nonsense... frankly that's what a lot of them want.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far Right on the Rise Foxaèr 2 363 September 14, 2022 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's catering to the far right. Jehanne 18 1445 April 23, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2115 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  I’m sick of the far left too Losty 93 3736 November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Incels and THOTs are left wingers, not right wingers. Ismir 24 2157 November 4, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Trump and his right-wing blowjob supporters. Jehanne 3 727 April 22, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! ignoramus 2 685 November 9, 2017 at 6:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole in WLB Land Minimalist 0 1018 June 2, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do you think some people take American Patriotism too far GoHalos1993 21 2969 May 30, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  POTUS Appointed Judges: How Big a Deal? AFTT47 9 1883 April 5, 2016 at 6:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13