Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will happen to Syria?
What will happen to Syria?
The U.S. and Russia can't agree on the recommendations by Annan, for rather obvious reasons. Turkey is gearing up for border skirmishes, Israel is on edge (even more than usual), and Damascus is under fire.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/inter...index.html
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: What will happen to Syria?
Syria is an oil producing country, although production has peaked and is in decline. (as pretty much throughout the Middle East)

The desired US outcome is US control of Syrian oil, which actually belongs to the US by divine right.Angel Cloud

The US will probably get its way,at least in the short term.
(June 29, 2012 at 11:12 pm)Epimethean Wrote: The U.S. and Russia can't agree on the recommendations by Annan, for rather obvious reasons. Turkey is gearing up for border skirmishes, Israel is on edge (even more than usual), and Damascus is under fire.

The best thing that could happen for the Syrian people is for the U.S. and Russia to keep their mouths shut, and let some idiot throw a rock across the Turkish border. I say let the Turks sort this out. Their backyard, they are more than capable and will give some welcomed peace to the Syrians.

The best Assad can hope for now is a country that will give him asylum. Assad has seemed to ingnore the fate of Khadafi.
Unfortunately, Russia has a vested interest in Syria.
Trying to update my sig ...
Judging from Egypt, an Islamo-fascist state will emerge as fucking "allah" is the only thing they can agree on.
I have friends of mine who's very large extended family live in Syria. Most of them are taking refuge temporarily in the U.S. The friend of mine has an interesting attitude about the situation. He said "well they (the Syrian people) are the one's who chose to rebel. " Then he said something about how they should not be surprised about the consequences. It was said with a "they have to accept the consequences for this" attitude. I wish I could have questioned him further but he didn't really want to talk about it and our conversation was interrupted shortly after I asked him about his country. So I let it go.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

As long as the Alawites are dead, or out of Syria, I'm happy, they are a neo fascist organization, they are only 15% of the population, controlling Syria, because they are a self-proclaimed supreme race. How did Saddam a Sunni, control Iraq which is a majority Shia, and Assad a Shia, control Syria which is a majority Sunni?

I smell Europeans......
(June 30, 2012 at 12:33 am)cato123 Wrote:
(June 29, 2012 at 11:12 pm)Epimethean Wrote: The U.S. and Russia can't agree on the recommendations by Annan, for rather obvious reasons. Turkey is gearing up for border skirmishes, Israel is on edge (even more than usual), and Damascus is under fire.

The best thing that could happen for the Syrian people is for the U.S. and Russia to keep their mouths shut, and let some idiot throw a rock across the Turkish border. I say let the Turks sort this out. Their backyard, they are more than capable and will give some welcomed peace to the Syrians.

The best Assad can hope for now is a country that will give him asylum. Assad has seemed to ingnore the fate of Khadafi.

It is precisely because of the fate of khadafi that Assad is now empowered to crush the rebellion and survive. If the syrian rebellion came before the Libyan rebellion, Assad would have been toppled. As it is, he would survive.

Turkey will not topple Assad because Toppling Assad serves western interests and greatly harms Russian interests, right now turkey would want neither.

I am surprised how many people in the west actually think our own propaganda is worth a bucket of spit outside the western world.
(June 30, 2012 at 1:46 am)Chuck Wrote:
(June 30, 2012 at 12:33 am)cato123 Wrote: The best thing that could happen for the Syrian people is for the U.S. and Russia to keep their mouths shut, and let some idiot throw a rock across the Turkish border. I say let the Turks sort this out. Their backyard, they are more than capable and will give some welcomed peace to the Syrians.

It is precisely because of the fate of khadafi that Assad is now empowered to crush the rebellion and survive. If the syrian rebellion came before the Libyan rebellion, Assad would have been toppled. As it is, he would survive.

Turkey will not topple Assad because Toppling Assad serves western interests and greatly harms Russian interests, right now turkey would want neither.

I am surprised how many people in the west actually think our own propaganda is worth a bucket of spit outside the western world.

I think we agree. This is why I said the best scenario is for the U.S. and Russia to stand back and let Turkey help settle this; whether militarily or diplomatically. Either way, Assad is toast; it's now just a matter of how many more must die before this happens.
Explain why Assad is "toast".

I see that he now has every reason to use any means to fight the rebels, especially given that Russian and the US are deadlocked over dealing with it, and, as Chuck pointed out, Turkey has no reason to visibly upset the power balance between the US and Russia. This means he might become more entrenched and has a better chance of surviving the revolt, if only through the knowledge that he must succeed or die like Gaddhafi.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 346 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Did Trump bomb Syria to back up his live tweets on Fox & Friends on 4/10? Whateverist 1 491 April 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bombing Syria is stupid, this is just gonna be like Iraq war Ruckus123 48 4349 April 14, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So what do you think will happen with Trump? NuclearEnergy 26 4102 August 10, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would happen if... Won2blv 18 2024 July 24, 2017 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Astonished
Thumbs Up Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary ReptilianPeon 118 7980 October 25, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: abaris
  I wonder what would happen if............ Minimalist 17 1660 June 6, 2016 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Yes of course. This Had To Happen. Minimalist 15 2571 June 6, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Are Leftist, Feminist Kurds About to Deliver the Coup de Grâce to ISIL in Syria? nihilistcat 1 829 June 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Jihadi Disneyland Syria Something completely different 1 728 September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist