Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An encounter with an angel... Or not.
An encounter with an angel... Or not.
I went out to dinner with a few of my friends. We went to a pretty laid back restaurant where the tables are fairly close to each other. To cut the story short, I pretty much struck up a conversation with one of my friends about morality and a bit of evolution in the mix (my friends' beliefs in terms of creation vary from 100% literal to evolution guided by God). Everyone joined in on the conversation and about a minute after everyone joined in this man sat next to me in the table next to us. One of my friends noticed he kept giggling at some of the things we were saying so she pointed him out to me and I asked him what his view was.

The conversation covered a lot of topics and towards the end it was mainly me talking to this (Christian) guy and he kept telling me that all this discussing and pondering about every last word in the Bible is distracting me. He said I should just start living. Up to this point I was rather amazed because all this research has actually drained me and I haven't really been there for friends.

When we called it a night it was just this guy, two friends and me. In the parking lot my friends said they believed that was an angel because they found it rather weird that he went to eat on his own and that he focused on just me and my questions (no one knows yet that I don't believe by the way). I just went with it and I did have to agree that he seemed to know me inside out.

Being a good friend I told my friend that pointed him out at the beginning. I thought she would be amazed that it was a (supposed) angel. She starts laughing at that and dismantles all the 'pointers' I gave for why my two other friends thought he was an angel. I asked her how she figured all that out and she told me that her past has trained her up to read people because she had lost confidence with those close to her.

So... Two things:

1) How can a Christian know when something was genuinely from God? Please be creative with your answer instead of calling her a fake Christian. You don't know her therefore you can't make that call.

2) Knowledge (in the broadest sense of the word) clearly alters what one percieves. Had she not lost confidence in people she wouldn't have figured this guy out and therefore everyone would have been in agreement that it was an angel. Thoughts?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: An encounter with an angel... Or not.
I was touched by an angel once... then I feel asleep and in the morning found myself handcuffed to the bed and all of my possessions gone.
True story.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
You say one of the reasons your friends thought this bloke was an angel was that he went to a restaurant on his own? What, he was on his lunchbreak or something? You go to Heaven but still need to eat? What an interesting concept!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Maybe I should have spent more time describing him and why my two friends thought what they thought.

>This guy looked humble and had a very humble car.
>He seemed to hone in on my questions only (I was pushing for arguments that were the least favoured).
>He sat talking to us for half an hour before he got up to see why his food hadn't arrived. When he sat down a waitress brought his change that he forgot. This implies he never ordered in the first place but was merely there to talk to me.

That's all I can remember for now. It's 1:30AM so my memory isn't the sharpest right now.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Xtians can find angels, demons and their silly god in everything. Ignore them.
Mr. Bean must be an angel.
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: 1) How can a Christian know when something was genuinely from God?
Because it's message will be echoed in scripture. "Angels" are messengers. That's it. We have the complete message God wants us to have in the bible. A messenger from God (whether He be a Purpose built Angel or just one who happened to be a person carrying the message from God) Simply points out the part of God already revealed message that directly applies to you or your given situation.. Meaning not all Angel experiences would be Hollywood 'approved.' For not all Messengers are Angels, even though they server the same purpose and the same God.

Quote:Please be creative with your answer instead of calling her a fake Christian. You don't know her therefore you can't make that call.
Knowing someone, has nothing to do with judging their work. We are told that by our fruits will 'We' be known. For a orange tree can not bear Apples, nor can a thorn bush yield grapes. We take the bulk of their work, or the 'Fruit' of a person and hold it to the light of scripture. If their works reflect what the bible says a Christians works should, then we can judge that Work as being consistent with scripture. Even so that does not mean we can judge the eternal fate of a given soul. For Christ tells us there will be many who do 'good works in His name, that He does not know.' However at the same time one who does not bear ANY Spiritual Fruit Can not Know God.

Quote:2) Knowledge (in the broadest sense of the word) clearly alters what one perceives.
Actually knowledge only lends 'evidence' to a heart seeking to approve or disprove a point.
The Heart makes a choice and fills said choice with the appropriate 'evidence.'

Quote:Had she not lost confidence in people she wouldn't have figured this guy out and therefore everyone would have been in agreement that it was an angel. Thoughts?
When we, ask seek and knock we are given what we need to believe. That was the underlining point of the 'Last Angel story.' That said what you have been given may not be enough for someone else. When they learn to turn to God and Ask, Seek and Knock as outlined in Luke 11 they will be given what they need. It is not up to you or anyone else to convince your friend of anything. For it is what it is, and if it was enough for you then know this 'encounter' was for you and not her. She will have her own 'evidence' when she seeks God as you did. When/if she does it will mean everything to her and it may mean next to nothing for everyone else. That's because God tailor makes 'evidence' for the specific individual. Otherwise we would all be forced to believe if God produced undeniable evidence, and that would not be consistent with the reason we have been given this life.

From here You will be made to choose between what you have been given, and what is familiar. Will you be faithful to what you have been given (If so you will be given more) or will you deny what you have been shown to favor the reasoning and thoughts of your 'friend?' Know, You are being asked to choose between your God and your 'friend.'

If you are faith to what you have been given then know your 'experience' is just the beginning.
"If you are faith to what you have been given then know your 'experience' is just the beginning."

Translated in various forms as:

"They're coming to take me away, ha-ha!"

and

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

and, one of my favorites (thanks, Carlos):

"Conclusions arrived at through reasoning have very little or no influence in altering the course of our lives."
Trying to update my sig ...
Thanks for your post Drich. After reading your story about the messenger I was hoping you would give your two cents.

I want to ask you something that might seem irrelevant, but I want to hear from you: can only a Christian be a psychic because they can communicate with saints in heaven?
(July 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Thanks for your post Drich. After reading your story about the messenger I was hoping you would give your two cents.

I want to ask you something that might seem irrelevant, but I want to hear from you: can only a Christian be a psychic because they can communicate with saints in heaven?

It's not technically called that, but 'Revelation' has been given to many. We are told in the last days that young men will be given over to prophesy and dream dreams about the future. These 'revelations' were attributed to the Holy Spirit and not any of the saints.

Outside of this we are told to stay from seeking psychic encounters and sorcery (Which translated from the Greek means pharmacologically induced visions/hallucinations) Because these avenues are typically how Satan speaks. the way we can tell between the two messages, is that a 'Messenger/Angel' will have a message supported by contextual scripture found in the Bible. 'Other' messages seem to appeal to one's vanity. In that you have been chosen to do 'X' even though the bible may speak against it. Becareful, and if i miss a thread or post you want me to address just PM me and let me know, I can address it privately or openly it makes little difference to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Angel of Death.... ronedee 14 1853 September 29, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  angel story video form Drich 107 10310 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  lying angel - silly ol' Gabriel - just musings drfuzzy 13 1993 December 24, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Banned
  encounter with a fundie homeschooler today - just sharing drfuzzy 43 8409 February 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Did God fire an Angel or Did an Angel just quit? The Reality Salesman01 50 20099 July 22, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  My close encounter with a Facebook xtian Cyberman 11 4687 March 8, 2013 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Gold dust, manna, angel feathers, gems, rainbows and gold appearing in a church near you. Ziploc Surprise 9 6048 December 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Evil Mutant Angel Giants frogger6 9 5075 September 27, 2012 at 4:34 am
Last Post: frogger6