Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida remains silent as the worst TB outbreak in 20 years spreads.
Florida remains silent as the worst TB outbreak in 20 years spreads.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/w...ret/nPpLs/

Palm Beach Post Wrote:JACKSONVILLE —

The CDC officer had a serious warning for Florida health officials in April: A tuberculosis outbreak in Jacksonville was one of the worst his group had investigated in 20 years. Linked to 13 deaths and 99 illnesses, including six children, it would require concerted action to stop.

That report had been penned on April 5, exactly nine days after Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill that shrank the Department of Health and required the closure of the A.G. Holley State Hospital in Lantana, where tough tuberculosis cases have been treated for more than 60 years.

As health officials in Tallahassee turned their focus to restructuring, Dr. Robert Luo’s 25-page report describing Jacksonville’s outbreak — and the measures needed to contain it – went unseen by key decision makers around the state. At the health agency, an order went out that the TB hospital must be closed six months ahead of schedule.

Had they seen the letter, decision makers would have learned that 3,000 people in the past two years may have had close contact with contagious people at Jacksonville’s homeless shelters, an outpatient mental health clinic and area jails. Yet only 253 people had been found and evaluated for TB infection, meaning Florida’s outbreak was, and is, far from contained.

The public was not to learn anything until early June, even though the same strain was appearing in other parts of the state, including Miami.

Tuberculosis is a lung disease more associated with the 18th century than the 21st, referred to as “consumption” in Dickensian times because its victims would grow gaunt and wan as their lungs disintigrated and they slowly died. The CDC investigator described a similar fate for 10 of the 13 people who died in Jacksonville.

They wasted away before ever getting treatment, or were too far gone by the time it began. Most of the sick were poor black men.

“The high number of deaths in this outbreak emphasizes the need for vigilant active case finding, improved education about TB, and ongoing screening at all sites with outbreak cases,” Luo’s report states.

Today, three months after it was sent to Tallahassee, the CDC report still has not been widely circulated.

[...]

This. This is unacceptable. I recommend you read the full article.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: Florida remains silent as the worst TB outbreak in 20 years spreads.
Around here it has been decrasing steadily, despite the desease evolution (greater antibiotics resistance). Since the TB vaccine is free here, the majority of infection cases are from homeless people, most already weakened by alcoholism and drugs.

Data: http://www.pordata.pt/en/Europe/Tubercul...itants-608
Florida is too busy trying to stop poor people from voting to worry about little things like this.
It won't stop until some politicians kid get TB...THEN watch the shit hit the fan!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(July 9, 2012 at 10:09 am)Annik Wrote: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/w...ret/nPpLs/

They wasted away before ever getting treatment, or were too far gone by the time it began. Most of the sick were poor black men.
[...]

Poor black men statistically vote democrat, if they still have their right to vote. A full 1/3 of black male Floridians have been barred from voting due to felony convictions.

Therefor Governor Skeletor doesn't give a shit.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I hate that man. I was super shocked he actually got voted in, but I shouldn't have, I guess. My father was forced to retire last month (he still had a year and a half left) because of Scott. Law enforcement/Corrections HATE him.
(July 10, 2012 at 11:45 am)Annik Wrote: Law enforcement/Corrections HATE him.

Yeah I know, my GF's mom is a corrections officer. She was also a party-line voting Republican until about a 2 years ago.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
My father is a card-carrying, Fox News watching Republican. He did not vote Republican for governor.
Do you really think they give a damn? They've saved money and they've decreased over-population slightly, the bad PR will fade in time. I sincerely doubt the TB outbreak will even reach the rich and the powerful.
Government probably see it as a win/win.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(July 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Do you really think they give a damn? They've saved money and they've decreased over-population slightly, the bad PR will fade in time. I sincerely doubt the TB outbreak will even reach the rich and the powerful.
Government probably see it as a win/win.

That really depends on how many of the approximately *3000* people exposed to this strain of TB (& let's not forget, this is an drug-resistant strain) actually get sick from it. We may be seeing the CDC sweep in & take over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bush V Gore and Florida and Trumpism. Brian37 30 2373 August 1, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1551 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Not Just Florida Minimalist 0 275 November 18, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  US stock markets worst loss since 2008 downbeatplumb 6 642 November 3, 2018 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why does Politics bring out the worst in so many people? GODZILLA 21 2039 October 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  I'm a Florida voter now :huh: rexbeccarox 32 2915 August 31, 2018 at 3:19 pm
  Florida school shooting: FBI mishandled tip on gunman's 'desire to kill' WinterHold 7 1119 February 18, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It Took the Republicunts 8 Years To Come Up With This? Minimalist 84 9381 March 16, 2017 at 8:43 pm
  For 8 Years No One Heard A Word From Dubya Minimalist 10 1984 February 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Predictions for the next four years TaraJo 45 7746 December 24, 2016 at 9:55 am
Last Post: tjakey