Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help dealing with new age crap...
I need help dealing with new age crap...
Hello everyone

I’m tired of feeling inferior to some “enlightened” people so easily. I try to reason with myself but it seems to be rooted quite deeply in my system.

I have this friend, each time she hesitates between 2 self-help books (usually some crap about your spirit animal or angel therapy… blah blah bullshit!) she asks her cat!!! ASKS HER CAT!!!!! And … if the cat looks at one of the books first she buys that one!
But the best part is : if I make fun of it, she calmly states that she knows I would see it that way, because I’m such a rational person!
And I know that I will never be capable of seeing things her way but I still feel a bit sorry for myself for missing these things out and being so down to earth…

I’m sick with myself! I don’t know what to do! I’m tired of feeling like a stupid animal or a cave woman each bloody time!

I had similar feelings when I was younger, with a lesbian friend (who made me feel like a simple minded fool who didn’t have the brains and guts to see sex was something else with women) and a vegetarian friend (who made me feel like a bloodthirsty uncivilized carnivore).

But then I grew up… I still like meat and men (without the guilt... feels proud…)! And my lesbian friend found herself a nice girlfriend and feels a lot better about herself and we are best of friends again…

But I can’t seem to manage the “lack of spiritual needs” complex… Any help?

… goes to sulk in her cave…

Meow…
RE: I need help dealing with new age crap...
She has a system that works for her. What's your problem? I use a coin toss because I don't trust my cats' judgement. They lick their butt.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Sometimes the easiest thing to do is ignore people when they do things like this. Makes life easier. I have to deal with my "psychic" sister. It's much worse than asking a cat. Sometimes when I would feed my cat I would show them the can and feed them whichever they chose first. I know my cat has no idea what is in each can and that the choice is random, but it made me feel connected with my cat and it was fun. Something like having a cat help choose a book is relatively harmless. I'm actually more concerned about her reading self help books.

People believe in things because they have been convinced one way or another, and people tend to be passionate in their beliefs because it can define who we are. Some people don't know how to respect other people's beliefs but still argue the points without coming off insulting. I struggle with it myself with my atheism. No one's perfect.

There are certain things that are not worth arguing. I like to argue here and quibble over points because other people are here to do just that. Not so much with family and friends. It's hard to have the same arguments without someone getting pissed off.

It can be frustrating watching people do silly things, but we are not them and we need to respect that. If they don't want to argue the point, then it's better to just leave it.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(June 26, 2009 at 5:51 pm)meowmeow Wrote: Hello everyone

I’m tired of feeling inferior to some “enlightened” people so easily. I try to reason with myself but it seems to be rooted quite deeply in my system.

I have this friend, each time she hesitates between 2 self-help books (usually some crap about your spirit animal or angel therapy… blah blah bullshit!) she asks her cat!!! ASKS HER CAT!!!!! And … if the cat looks at one of the books first she buys that one!
But the best part is : if I make fun of it, she calmly states that she knows I would see it that way, because I’m such a rational person!
And I know that I will never be capable of seeing things her way but I still feel a bit sorry for myself for missing these things out and being so down to earth…

I’m sick with myself! I don’t know what to do! I’m tired of feeling like a stupid animal or a cave woman each bloody time!

I had similar feelings when I was younger, with a lesbian friend (who made me feel like a simple minded fool who didn’t have the brains and guts to see sex was something else with women) and a vegetarian friend (who made me feel like a bloodthirsty uncivilized carnivore).

But then I grew up… I still like meat and men (without the guilt... feels proud…)! And my lesbian friend found herself a nice girlfriend and feels a lot better about herself and we are best of friends again…

But I can’t seem to manage the “lack of spiritual needs” complex… Any help?

… goes to sulk in her cave…

Meow…
You seem to have a natural talent...scepticism. Simply nourish it, feed it with literature, science, art...and in time you will be able to state clearly your own point of view and you won't feel the urge to grow blind faith in pseudocrap trying to feel what your friends feel. It will be better than that.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 26, 2009 at 9:03 pm)LEDO Wrote: She has a system that works for her. What's your problem? I use a coin toss because I don't trust my cats' judgement. They lick their butt.

thanks for your replies it gives me something to think about...

I would like to make a correction though :

- I didn't really make fun of my friend I just can't bring myself to look enthusiastic about some of the new age crap and that is enough for me to feel I'm missing something out

and that is my biggest problem : I would like to be able to be a skeptic WITOUT FEELING BAD ABOUT IT...

( but then I would also like to smoke and NOT GET CANCER, and ...)

... will have consult my therapist I think

meow ..."shrugs"
Ever play OUIJA borad with someone who thinks your not moving the cursor? It is alot of fun.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
If you want to be a skeptic without feeling bad, read up on it. Understand not only how to be a skeptic but how to try to explain things without offending. Learn different skeptics tools of thinking. Also, maybe reach out to other skeptics. There is a huge online community of skeptics, this is one place where you will find some. I don't know where you live but there might be a skeptical community in your area. Here in Boston I'm a member of the Boston Atheists and the Boston Area Skeptics, and there is a podcast called "The Skeptics Guide to the Universe". It's really well done and sometimes it's nice to hear people talking about news and current events in terms you can agree with.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(June 27, 2009 at 6:17 am)LEDO Wrote: Ever play OUIJA borad with someone who thinks your not moving the cursor? It is alot of fun.

That's CRUEL ...

... funny but still cruel Devil

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I agree with Eilonnwy. I live with an extreme theist and when I get frustrated because she's being rediculous, I talk to my other friends who are atheists or come on here! It helps alot believe me Smile
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2535 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Age of Deconversion John 6IX Breezy 138 10804 November 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3923 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  Convertion Age A Handmaid 5 1029 September 14, 2016 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Jeff Sparrow on the need to save ourselves from the sickishness of the New Atheists Whateverist 62 8556 March 21, 2016 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheism at age 10? maestroanth 40 5739 February 21, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Meandering Atheist -J-
Question Absolute Truth (I know, but I need some help) Spacetime 60 13266 October 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Dealing with Death as an Atheist AlternativeArtStyles 82 12573 May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Age woo, pantheism, "connected" Brian37 35 10746 March 16, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I need a lttle help with a few questions please Guesto123 17 3245 January 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Natachan