Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism at age 10?
Atheism at age 10?
I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.  I was a baptized Catholic and a believer until age 10. I was actually never told there was a Santa Claus (I figured it out by myself); however, the same logic that made me come to that conclusion was also the same logic that 6 or so months later gave me the chilling epiphany that the bible couldn't be real either.

Was anyone else a child that 'found' atheism by themselves (as opposed to your liberal parents just raising you as one)?
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Atheism at age 10?
Became an atheist at age fourteen. Not by myself, had help from two friends, a female classmate of mine and an obscure writer called Nietzsche.
I became an atheist at thirteen. With all the crap my friggen grandparents shoveled into my brain i'm glad i came up on top.
Never tell them bluntly just so you know. It's really bad.
I remember wondering sometime around five how adults could believe the stories in the Bible. I didn't know the word atheist or even agnostic for some time after that though. Unbeliever is the word I used in the privacy of my mind.

My daughter figured out Santa Claus at about three and promptly disillusioned her five year old sister,
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
About 12 for me. Like Jenny, I recall being puzzled at around 5 years old why the adults told the weird Genesis story. I rejected it long before casting off the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. I accepted God but not Genesis. It wasn't until I was in my middle teens that I realized the adults actually believed the whole Adam and Eve thing and I was totally blown away.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I never really bought into it. I didn't know what to call it, as I thought atheists lived under bridges until I was 17 or so.

And my mother is a super fundie. I heard her tell my sister when I was home for Christmas (also a super-fundie) when she thought I couldn't hear her that she feels like she's lost two sons. Myself for being an atheist, and my brother for being a liberal Christian. Seriously, he's pro-choice and a Bernie Sanders supporter, therefore he's going to hell with me.

I count myself so incredibly lucky that I escaped that.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I was 11 when I began having doubts about the humanity of the fucks who claimed they were so holy.  By the time I was 13 I gave their bullshit up totally in favor of sleeping late on Sunday.
(February 16, 2016 at 1:56 am)AFTT47 Wrote: About 12 for me. Like Jenny, I recall being puzzled at around 5 years old why the adults told the weird Genesis story. I rejected it long before casting off the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. I accepted God but not Genesis. It wasn't until I was in my middle teens that I realized the adults actually believed the whole Adam and Eve thing and I was totally blown away.

Actually that's my story as well. I remember doubting religion at around the age five but I stuck with God until my early teens.
(February 16, 2016 at 1:38 am)Jenny A Wrote: I remember wondering sometime around five how adults could believe the stories in the Bible.  I didn't know the word atheist or even agnostic for some time after that though.  Unbeliever is the word I used in the privacy of my mind.

My daughter figured out Santa Claus at about three and promptly disillusioned her five year old sister,

Ahh...Santa is too much fun to not believe in at three! ;P

Anyway, I like the point you made about how adults could believe in the bible stories.  I remember back as a kid my reasoning for why I thought the bible was true was because adults believed in them.  

Of course now, I see some kids at 8 with more maturity than adults at 80.  Man, the human species is f*cked up.
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
I've been an atheist my entire life. I first encountered people promoting Jesus at around 5 or 6 (I went to a CofE primary school) and never believed in any of it then. Still don't now.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age of Deconversion John 6IX Breezy 138 10820 November 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Convertion Age A Handmaid 5 1029 September 14, 2016 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  New Age woo, pantheism, "connected" Brian37 35 10748 March 16, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12163 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  At what age did you become an atheist? Whateverist 27 4355 April 13, 2014 at 12:33 am
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4183 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  The Age of Reason The Reality Salesman01 0 1053 October 19, 2013 at 7:04 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01