Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Death as an Atheist
Dealing with Death as an Atheist
It appears to me that atheists feel the anxiety of death a little more than the average theist. I collaborated with many other artists to create something that illuminated this issue:>snip<. As atheists, I am interested to know how you are affected by and deal with the prospect of a definitive end to your existence. Any thoughts?

Moderator Notes: Please review our rules, specifically our 30/30 rule.
RE: Dealing with Death as an Atheist
Quote: Alla fine del gioco, il re e il pedone tornano nella stessa scatola.

Quote:(Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box. )
Italian proverb
Yes, but then what is the of being a king or a pawn if all of your efforts are for naught?
Right.  Now you've got it.
I really do not understand what 'message' that video of yours was trying to convey. As for what I feel about my existence abruptly coming to a halt, I will share this quote:

“Everything Dies. That is the law of life-the bitter unchangeable law”
-David Clement-Davies, Fell

We will all die, one day. I am not scared of what comes after, because I don't believe there is anything after. Why worry about nothing?
To be brutally honest, I can't fucking wait.

I've never worried about it. All that scares me is pain and suffering, not death itself. I won't be here to care about it, and every second spent worrying about it is one less to do stuff while I'm alive.

Making up stories to pretend you'll live forever can be fun, but it doesn't make them true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
As a theist i was very curious about death,i never believed what my religion told me i just couldn't wait to see what is on the other side,the concept of eternal life whether in hell or heaven scared me shitless,to be honest the thought of eternal life kept me awake for many nights but since i became an Atheist my mind is more at peace because i realize that death gives meaning to life,to all our little relations,our little happiness,our love,our family.eternal life ruins it all it takes away all these little blessings from our life so i am not scared of death i would welcome it with open arms
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
Lookin' forward to it.
I have no fear of death (the actual business of dying is another matter) before I was alive I was dead and it didn't cause me any problems!
I have already made plans for my funeral, any of my "bits" that can be used for transplant should be, the rest disposed of in the cheapest way possible (no point spending good beer money feeding the worms or the flames) I have chosen the music for the celebration of my life (better than funeral I think) and the first line of my plan reads "there should be no priests, vicars, ministers, shamans, witch doctors or other peddlers of superstitious nonsense."
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 4, 2015 at 2:18 am)AlternativeArtStyles Wrote: It appears to me that atheists feel the anxiety of death a little more than the average theist. I collaborated with many other artists to create something that illuminated this issue:>snip<. As atheists, I am interested to know how you are affected by and deal with the prospect of a definitive end to your existence. Any thoughts?

Moderator Notes: Please review our rules, specifically our 30/30 rule.

Don't think much about death. Yes, it was a nice and fuzzy thinking about life ever after with family and friends. That was why religion was invented to control people and give hope of life ever after. I spend my time trying to live life best I can. When the eye shut for the last time it is all over. (I guess, we don't know everything, but no proof otherwise.) 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3907 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  Atheist and the Death penalty strawdawg 125 28006 September 8, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3898 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dealing with Religious Family Members Geekyalbatross 10 3009 September 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Dealing with Religious Friends Holden Caulfield 9 2515 July 12, 2014 at 9:02 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 35 6138 June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dealing with loss sven 22 4926 April 22, 2014 at 3:31 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7652 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Dealing with unavoidable Religious Situations mamamia88 10 2987 March 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Dealing with beliver friends on Facebook cheme 37 15766 August 30, 2012 at 2:12 am
Last Post: System of Solace