Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convertion Age
Convertion Age
I have noticed a high amount of people leaving their faith around the ages of 10-13. Is there a psychological reason for this? Because, it can't just be a coincidence.
RE: Convertion Age
Kids stop believing in Santa Claus around 5-6.  Jesus and the rest of this horseshit takes twice as long.
(September 13, 2016 at 3:59 pm)A Handmaid Wrote: I have noticed a high amount of people leaving their faith around the ages of 10-13. Is there a psychological reason for this? Because, it can't just be a coincidence.

That's the age when children adopt the belief that their parents are full of shit.  Since religion is based on the authority of trusted persons rather than on evidence, then when that trust goes, the belief may go as well.
I actively abandoned god belief when I was 13. Before that I simply didn't think critically about it. Maybe I didn't have the necessary mental faculties before, or it's got something to do with questioning everything during puberty, idk
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I wish I had given up religion at 13. That would have saved me a lot of trouble later on.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Well 7 for me; the trigger was First Communion in Catholic School, at which point it became obvious that people were lying in order to impress each other, that led on to a cascade of attempting to find something that I could verify. The inevitable failure resulted in the conclusion that I simply did not believe in the claims.

Identifying that initial trigger may be easier with some than with others.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age of Deconversion John 6IX Breezy 138 10799 November 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheism at age 10? maestroanth 40 5737 February 21, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Meandering Atheist -J-
  New Age woo, pantheism, "connected" Brian37 35 10746 March 16, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  At what age did you become an atheist? Whateverist 27 4354 April 13, 2014 at 12:33 am
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4182 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  The Age of Reason The Reality Salesman01 0 1052 October 19, 2013 at 7:04 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Thing I've learned at the age of reason Staccato 16 8667 July 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  I need help dealing with new age crap... meowmeow 8 10065 June 27, 2009 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Rockthatpiano06