Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Property rights = freedom? Libertarianism?
Property rights = freedom? Libertarianism?
Right-wing libertarians who advocate laissez-faire capitalism speak about private property rights and freedom, and how evil the initiation of force is.

Property is the idea that everyone else who wants to use an item is forcibly threatened not to use it, unless a particular person or group of people ("owners") declares others can use it. You may argue something along the lines of that being justified by labor sacrificed to alter a natural resource and make it valuable, but even if that point holds up, it still requires coercion to maintain the selective permissions of an item.

Imagine if all property was private, including land. You are in a private field but only welcome to stay for 24 hours. All homes and roads surrounding you are declared private property. If you leave the field in any direction without permission, you will be trespassing and force may be legally used against you. Is this liberty or confinement?

In a libertarian right market, laissez-faire, would anyone and everyone who is legally an adult (without a criminal record) be permitted to buy and sell nuclear missiles?

Does Austrian economics oversimplify the question of minimum wage by overlooking turnover rates? Harvard economists have supposedly released journal publications with controlled studies that challenge traditional criticisms of minimum wage and unemployment. If you are interested, here is an interview about it.
[Image: questionc.jpg]
RE: Property rights = freedom? Libertarianism?
A British explorer was with an Amazon tribe and he had with him photos of England to explain the sort of society he came from. In these photos was one of a large stately home. The tribe questioned him about this building and were shocked to find it was owned by one person.
Why don't the rest of the tribe just kill him and share it out? they asked.
So you walked onto this land, and then of a sudden all surrounding land was declared private property (so it must have been public before)(or you've trespassed to get into this predicament in the first place, or you have been airdropped there against your will). right...

I have thought about landlocked property, seems to me to only be an issue if the government sells roads, thus making property that wasn't landlocked, all of a sudden, landlocked. My understanding is that landlocked land that already exists is cheaper because of the risks and hassles associated with it (having to come to an agreement with one of the surrounding owners, informal agreements all of a sudden not being honoured, property changing hands), if you don't want to deal with that, don't buy landlocked property. So not all roads that currently exist should be sold to private individuals (when it would effectively landlock somebody), right.

The thing about a nuke is that it's a weapon that kills indiscriminately (can't be used in defence against all it WILL kill unless every single person in the blast radius and possible fallout zones is after your blood). It's also essentially pointed at everybody in the area it's in at all times. So no.

From what I've read on economics I wouldn't be an austrian (I would strongly disagree with their methodology), I hear the chicago school comes to many of the same conclusions, but takes a saner route.
Read the interview and some of the paper (and the one on teen employment) in question, interesting stuff, does challenge some of my thinking on the effects of minimum wage increases/decreases (at the level they are talking about).
Quote:The tribe questioned him about this building and were shocked to find it was owned by one person.

Sometimes we do,but not often enough.. Angel Cloud
(July 13, 2012 at 4:22 am)jonb Wrote: A British explorer was with an Amazon tribe and he had with him photos of England to explain the sort of society he came from. In these photos was one of a large stately home. The tribe questioned him about this building and were shocked to find it was owned by one person.

[Image: Religion-Keeps-Poor-Napoleon-Bumper-Sticker-(5374).jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anarcho-capitalist libertarianism Disinter 125 33384 December 6, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1043 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Civil Rights. Gawdzilla Sama 12 922 October 20, 2020 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stolen property, Nixon vs Russia Brian37 1 328 August 5, 2018 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  U.S. withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council? Foxaèr 26 2975 June 23, 2018 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  The Banana Republicunt Thinks It Is His Personal Property Minimalist 17 2161 May 20, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1626 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Rights disdain of Hillary, where does it come from? GODZILLA 89 11822 March 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Taxes, freedom of information act... Brian37 21 1938 February 4, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Trump administration announces conscience and religious freedom HHS Division Divinity 91 9523 January 22, 2018 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Cecelia