Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are cats atheists?
Are cats atheists?
Atheists are generally very clear that they want atheism to be defined as a lack of belief in God, and not the belief or claim that there is no God. If this is so, why aren't cats and trees and birds and mentally challenged people who cannot think about things like the supernatural realm atheists?--they all lack belief in God too.
"the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate" (1 Cor. 1:19)
RE: Are cats atheists?
(July 20, 2012 at 12:31 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: Atheists are generally very clear that they want atheism to be defined as a lack of belief in God, and not the belief or claim that there is no God. If this is so, why aren't cats and trees and birds and mentally challenged people who cannot think about things like the supernatural realm atheists?--they all lack belief in God too.

The way I understand disbelief, is that it means you chose not to believe in something when presented with the idea.

For example, in Islam, disbelieving in Islam only counts, if you believe not in Islam when presented it.

So if an animal was presented the idea of God and then didn't believe in it, then it would be Atheist.
(July 20, 2012 at 12:38 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 20, 2012 at 12:31 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: Atheists are generally very clear that they want atheism to be defined as a lack of belief in God, and not the belief or claim that there is no God. If this is so, why aren't cats and trees and birds and mentally challenged people who cannot think about things like the supernatural realm atheists?--they all lack belief in God too.

The way I understand disbelief, is that it means you chose not to believe in something when presented with the idea.

For example, in Islam, disbelieving in Islam only counts, if you believe not in Islam when presented it.

So if an animal was presented the idea of God and then didn't believe in it, then it would be Atheist.

So then, by your logic, it seems to me that atheism would be a choice and not just the default belief.
So, what you're saying is:

Why haven't beings with no imaginations invented gods?

Thinking

Who says they don't believe in gods? What do you know about the innermost thoughts of a squirrel?

Cats think that they are gods. If you don't know that, you must not be a cat person.

Tiger

(July 20, 2012 at 12:41 am)aleialoura Wrote: So, what you're saying is:

Why haven't beings with no imaginations invented gods?

Thinking

Never said that, this is for sure.

Quote:Who says they don't believe in gods? What do you know about the innermost thoughts of a squirrel?

Cats think that they are gods. If you don't know that, you must not be a cat person.

Tiger

I had a cat, I feel u...
Anyway, gods were invented by the imagination of humans. Think of how many gods that people believed in before your god was invented. Do you believe in those gods too, or do you consider them to be products of the human imagination?

Yes. Cats are atheists. They are far smarter than xtians.
(July 20, 2012 at 12:49 am)aleialoura Wrote: Anyway, gods were invented by the imagination of humans. Think of how many gods that people believed in before your god was invented. Do you believe in those gods too, or do you consider them to be products of the human imagination?

From the fact that there are many of X fabricated, it doesn't follow that all X are fabricated. I used to be an atheist and considered all gods the product of human imagination until I had an experience of God which I found it near impossible to doubt.
(July 20, 2012 at 12:40 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: So then, by your logic, it seems to me that atheism would be a choice and not just the default belief.

Let's say you hear about Islam, and you are undecided. You haven't disbelieved in it yet. But when you know about it's teachings, and you don't believe in it, then you disbelieved in it.

Whether that is a choice or what we believe is not really our choice is up to debate. I believe we chose what we believe, sometimes justified in our decision and sometimes not.

Atheism was not the default state of my childhood certainly. I don't ever recall having the concept of God and not believing in it.

Atheists on the other hand, when presented with God concept, chose to disbelieve in it, because they aren't aware of any evidence, and that there is no reason to believe in God, and it seemed to them that they don't know God exists.

It's a choice, and it's an informed one, in my opinion. It's not a default state in my view.
(July 20, 2012 at 12:51 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: From the fact that there are many of X fabricated, it doesn't follow that all X are fabricated. I used to be an atheist and considered all gods the product of human imagination until I had an experience of God which I found it near impossible to doubt.

You had an experience in your psyche, most likely. Your god doesn't exist. Ask any cat.

You say you had an experience of god....

What has god ever done for you that you didn't really do yourself?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1036 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet