Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do aliens exist?
Do aliens exist?
I've always wondered if there are Aliens in the universe but never actually said there is or isn't.

I think it's very possible for certain forms of life like bacteria or simple cells to live, but I would find or more doubtful for intelligent life. However I would prefer intellectual life.

Do you think there are aliens somewhere out there?
RE: Do aliens exist?
I think given our understanding of how life arises, the chances of alien life not existing are extremely remote.
I would say there is alien life forms. I see no reason to say that there aren't any.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
There is almost certainly life outside of our solar system(hell, maybe even inside). It's not so clear-cut whether or not there is advanced intelligent life somewhere out there. It's definitly possible though.

This stuff fascinates me, though I'm disappointed that I'll likely be long gone before we every discover intelligent life out there.
(August 26, 2008 at 5:33 pm)Meatball Wrote: This stuff fascinates me, though I'm disappointed that I'll likely be long gone before we every discover intelligent life out there.

They did have a sample from mars from what appeared to be fossilised bacteria however Scientists are unsure what it is and some hypothesize it's life, some think it's not.
Once you understand the sheer vastness of the universe and the staggering numbers involved when considering not only the number of galaxies but the number of stars in each galaxy.

Then factor in the abundance of organic compounds out there and the fact that once life does start how evolution takes over to produce some extremely resilient lifeforms.

Then consider the unimaginable amount of time involved. The Universe is over 13,000,000,000 years old. Many of the first stars where huge monsters that exhausted their fuel in just a few hundred million years after which they exploded spreading elements all over space so the ingredients for life have been around for eons upon eons.

You also have to take into account that life does not have to start on 'Earth' like worlds. In our own solar system we have many candidates for life. Mars is obvious but there are also worlds such as Titan, Europa and perhaps even Jupiter itself. Jupiter, I'll admit is a bit of a long shot but if all the necessary ingredients are there, who are we to say what nature has realised.

There is also the theory of panspermia or exogenesis which states that the seed of life has been transfered to the Earth from elsewhere in the Universe. In our case most probably asteroids and/or comets. If this is the case then it is quite possible that life only has to evolve once to 'infect' many different worlds.

It now seems that not even a month has to go by without a new planet being discovered and this now points to the notion that most stars have some sort of planetary system. The Drake equation is getting close and closer to being solved. Even though most of these planets seem to be of the Hot Jupiter type it is only a matter of time until the techniques are refined enough to discover Earth like worlds, in fact a planet of only 5 Earth masses was discovered around Gliese 581 and that's with the technology we have now. Imagine what we may discover in the years to come.

As to what kind of life exists out there. Who knows. I think that given the right set of circumstances and the possibility of Earth like worlds then evolution will shape life in quite a familiar pattern. If animals as we understand them are to evolve then they will obviously need to get around, in which case some form of limbs are going to be needed. Also, eyes have evolved independently on our planet at least 5 times so it seems quite reasonable to assume the same for other worlds.

For worlds unlike the Earth then that's anyones guess. As mentioned before there is no reason why the chemistry of life can't take hold anywhere it has the chance. As Arthur C. Clarke said, I can even imagine some form of life existing in the outer atmosphere of some stars although whether nature has realised it is another matter.

Intelligent life however is not the pinnacle of evolution. It is simply one of the many solutions for life to exist and succeed. But you must admit it does seem to be working pretty well, so far, for the human race and so why it can't work on other worlds as well I have no reason to doubt.

I have a feeling that like life itself, once intelligence and civilisation takes a foothold it is practically impossible to remove. And given a race that has managed to shed it dependence on its home world and has spread out not only to the rest of its solar system but also developed inter-stellar travel I think it would be remote beyond belief.

I'll go even further and propose that a race that has been spreading out like micelium for millions of years would become so fragmented and taken such diverse evolutionary paths, both by nature and design, that most of the now sparsely distributed colonies would effectively be different species from each other. I can imagine entire galaxies, or at least vast sections of them, populated by a vast array of different alien species each with their own worlds and ecologies that seem very different from each other but can all trace their ancestry back to one world many millions of years ago.

So, given all that the proposition that the Earth is the only living system in the Universe is, to me, as likely as the Earth being just 8000 years old and all the dinosaur fossils being placed here just to trick paleontologists.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(August 26, 2008 at 6:37 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Jupiter, I'll admit is a bit of a long shot but if all the necessary ingredients are there, who are we to say what nature has realised.

Jupiter is a gas giant with a crushing gravity field and an even worse atmosphere.

I find it weird that when I used to ask Atheists are there Aliens they say yes but if I ask them why dont they believe in God they say a lack of evidence.

Irony?
Jupiter may have crushing gravity and a terrible atmosphere not to mention lethal radiation but if you live there then it's home. Anyway, hydrothermal vents have crushing pressure, lethal temperatures and a less than favourable P.H. but that doesn't stop life there. Perhaps it doesn't know it's not supposed to be thriving.

Anyway, the difference between life out in the Universe and the existence of God is simply.

1) There is no logical or scientific reason to suppose there is a god and

2) There is already a precedence for life in the Universe.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
We have plenty of evidence for aliens. Take into consideration that this planet is not "perfect" for life, but its factors are set to that life can arise. If the Earth were smaller or closer to the Sun by a few hundred thousand miles, life would still have arisen. We are just off the center of the "habitable zone" of out solar system. Every system has a "habitable zone", and if a planet falls within this zone, it can produce life.

So really the evidence is in our understanding of the universe. Just as we have evidence for our Sun, we are able to spot other stars and tell if a spot in the night sky is a planet or a star. We see that life has arisen on this planet, so given our knowledge of the universe, it seems likely that there are planets out there that can support life.
(August 26, 2008 at 6:57 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Jupiter may have crushing gravity and a terrible atmosphere not to mention lethal radiation but if you live there then it's home. Anyway, hydrothermal vents have crushing pressure, lethal temperatures and a less than favourable P.H. but that doesn't stop life there. Perhaps it doesn't know it's not supposed to be thriving.

Anyway, the difference between life out in the Universe and the existence of God is simply.

1) There is no logical or scientific reason to suppose there is a god and

2) There is already a precedence for life in the Universe.

Yes but we have oceans, land and a less hostile atmosphere. It's easier for Abiogenesis to occure. Also, the creatures living near thermol vents may not have originated there. They might have been created in less hostile conditions and evolved.

My point is, there is no definite, conclusive evidence for aliens (except the mars sample but then again nothings conclusive there either) Just like God. I know God is a supernatural being and it's already self evident that life can be created without him but if it cannot be proven with facts I dont support it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do femicides really exist? Macoleco 27 1896 September 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Take out on Xmas day DOES EXIST....... Brian37 18 2630 December 26, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 806 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8787 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Disclosure Project - Aliens UFOs scoobysnack 136 14683 April 6, 2016 at 12:31 am
Last Post: IATIA
  [Life Story(Kinda)] Aliens Heat 7 2340 December 10, 2015 at 5:56 am
Last Post: Heat
  Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell? IanHulett 114 14176 February 9, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Mid-life crises DO exist Rahul 20 2438 March 23, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  We're being invaded by space aliens little_monkey 9 3929 December 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  Santa doesn't exist Welsh cake 17 4213 November 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen