Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me a reason to help people again
Give me a reason to help people again
A short background before we begin.

My first 10 years of educaton was in a Christian environment. I was taught compassion, and I genuinely had it. Of all 'underpriviledged' groups, the group with which I was most focus about was the handicapped. Perhaps this was due to the fact that their sufferring is the most obvious. Others, say, the old, orphans, poor etc. did not display a throng of obvious sufferring I guess. So over the years, they to a certain extend, was a small part of my meaning of life, to help them. I spent time, effort, money, and my genuine compassion to help the handicapps.

When I was about almost my 20s, I experienced something which changed my entire philosophy to people, or rather, more to this group..

I had to be in this certain place. In this place, there was a guy who was very very eloquent. I was there for only a week or so in total.

And I am not a very sociable person. My main aim down there was to get out of there as fast as possible.

So he tried to talk to me, and me being the unsociable person that I was, saw no point of it and sort of refused it.

He then began trying to create trouble for me.

There is another handicap in this group. both his legs could not walk properly. Call him Chua.

And so it boiled down to the final confrontation(I am keeping all these short because I just want to get to the point) .

It was a scene where like 6 people were against me. They were so many vs 1, me, because this eloquent guy was just gifted at his mouth.

And Guess what? No surprise, the handicap joined him against me, even though he was in the wrong.

So the moral of the story is: People, naturally or otherwise, will generally help their friends in a confrontation. They will give less shit to who was right or wrong.

You can do a whole lifetime of time, money, and effort in the form of Good Deeds for the handicapps, but when given a choice, between a person who have done these good deeds,vs someone who have a gifted mouth, it has been shown that the handicap will pick the one who have the gifted mouth. It has been shown, pure empiricism.

So, is there any more reason to help the handicapps, since when it comes to boil, they have shown they prefer a person's mouth rather than your good deeds

That you can go good for the group as a whole, only to get attacked by them when you were at one of your weakest

That they have shown to be ungrateful fellas
RE: Give me a reason to help people again
I very much doubt that you're as much of a saint as you paint yourself up to be. Especially upon seeing that you refer to handicapped people as "handicaps".
(July 1, 2009 at 10:20 am)Ephrium Wrote: ...it has been shown that the handicap will pick the one who have the gifted mouth. It has been shown, pure empiricism.

So will I, and I'm not handicapped. Oh wait... You meant... nevermind.
Quote:So, is there any more reason to help the handicapps, since when it comes to boil, they have shown they prefer a person's mouth rather than your good deeds.

Yeah. Damn handicapps are all the same. Smell funny too. All of 'em. No reason to ever help any of them. Matter of fact, we should be pushing them down whenever we see one.

Quote:That you can go good for the group as a whole, only to get attacked by them when you were at one of your weakest

Sounds like any pack of animals. Sure they'll accept free help (food whatever) but they will attack you, as a group, if you piss them off. I wanna hear why "like 6 people" were against you. What did you do to piss them off? Talk like you are here painting an entire class of people the same for the actions of a few? BTW, did you know all black people are good dancers, all white men can't jump and all the jews are good with money?

Quote:That they have shown to be ungrateful fellas

The bastards... ungrateful bastards. Lets discriminate against all of them and push them down.

I'm gonna start with this guy. --> [Image: stephen-hawking.jpg]
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(July 1, 2009 at 11:24 am)lrh9 Wrote: I very much doubt that you're as much of a saint as you paint yourself up to be. Especially upon seeing that you refer to handicapped people as "handicaps".

You see it again? You can do all you want for the handicapps. But the people now wont know it. You see, I get attacked again. This proves my point.

It is childhish as an adult to list this or that good deed you have done, but All I can say is I have genuinely spent time, effort and money with my compassion to help them.

I do not get your point about the spelling.

The main point is, my former philosophy of helping handicapps blindly, just helping you because you are handicapped, is wrong. The handicapp tell me I am wrong too.
We help people because we can.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(July 2, 2009 at 8:55 am)LEDO Wrote: We help people because we can.

Nicely put Sir.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Or as Dan Dennett has said - we are responseable because we are able to respond.

@ the OP

What I wonder is why you'd need gratitude in return in order to bother helping people? Do you only want to help if you get thanked? Can't you just give to give?

If they're being really horrible to you then fine, don't help then I guess (depending on if it's tolerable or not obviously).

I don't see how you'd need to be thanked to help someone. Some people need help because they lack the maturity to even thank people!

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1933 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40523 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8627 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  How Do Atheists Help[ People? Rhondazvous 32 6065 March 14, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6092 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6698 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5298 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Reason Rally 2016 The Valkyrie 50 8585 June 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6691 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger