Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orca vs Great White
Orca vs Great White
Forget 'Shark Week'.
In a battle between a Great White and a Killer Whale, my money's on the Killer Whale....

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-scienc...video.html
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Orca vs Great White
I watched a documentary about that awhile back. Seems that some folks think they've identified a pod that specializes in offing Jaws. I remember them mentioning that the behavior seemed to be spreading as well, fuckers are learning...
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What is amazing to me the speed to which other great whites in the area reacted to it. Appearently both orca and great whites habitually congregate in the same area year after year before the Orca attack occurred. But the day after the orca killed one great white, all the great whites in the area had departed, and the great whites never returned to the area.

I have to wonder how the other great white discovered the danger and how that was communicated. Great whites are supposed to be pretty dumb animals.
You don't have to be smart to realize you just got bumped down a notch on the food chain.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You don't have to be smart to realize you just got bumped down a notch on the food chain.

But how would they all know? Great whites are solitary. They've been haging around orcas in the same region for a long time, all of a sudden, one pod of orca kills a great white, and over night all of the local great whites run away and never return?

What's more is the way which orcas killed the great white was not particularly violent, was there some way the great white can signal other great whites about the danger? Why would a solitary animal be equipped to signal others for danger?
Believe the idea being bandied about was "the smell of death". Seemed to work well for the guys making shark repelling canister shot (pro idea btw)
How do they distinguish this from great whites that dies naturally?
To hazard a guess: fresh blood has a different smell from decomp.
How often do great whites die natural deaths, more specifically how do other great whites react to this (and how often are they in close proximity when the inevitable occurs)? We don't actually know (because our waters are more mysterious to us than the surface of the fucking moon). What did seem to be pretty well demonstrated is that sharks react to a chemical associated with the death of their own (don't believe that the shark used was great white though).
If great whites do have such a dramatic reflex against the fresh blood of their own kind, it would imply they haven't been top predator for that long because they clear have a strongly developed anit-predation instinct.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 444 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Some great news Apollo 11 988 December 7, 2020 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Great (movie) Speeches onlinebiker 12 2064 September 6, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1125 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  It's a great relief purplepurpose 20 3325 December 8, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Cod
  The Great AF Literary Masterpiece The Valkyrie 9 700 December 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Federal Judge Orders White House To Temporarily Restore Press Access To Jim Acosta A Theist 120 10493 November 19, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Something Great Happened To Me Today... ReptilianPeon 2 968 October 2, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  PBS is great!! Jehanne 24 2267 September 12, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Once you pop...that's great! c172 19 2648 November 24, 2017 at 4:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus