Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Either way - It's almost too amazing to be true.
Either way - It's almost too amazing to be true.
Whether God exists or not, life is almost too amazing to be true.

Cells working together to create consciousness. Energy not being able to be destroyed.

Our feelings of value, morality, love, appreciation, praise, and beauty. Our pride. Our intelligence, our development of language.

It's all just too amazing.

Talking about God being so extraordinarily out of probability doesn't seem to make sense to me, when life is like that as well.

Yes these things have natural theories behind them, but it's none the less bewildering and amazing.
RE: Either way - It's almost too amazing to be true.
I am most likely the anomaly, but I do not view life as amazing. That is probably the primary reason I have no inclination or inner biological drive to bring forth another life into the world via my sperm.

I simply view life as it is, a means of satisfying one's appetites without harming others before the inevitable end.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
[Image: 24wgjfa.png]

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Can anyone say "argument from personal incredulity"?

I agree that life - indeed the Universe as a whole - is filled with amazing wonders. Even taken together in their entirety, they're all still infinitely more plausible than god/s (let alone "God") which has/have never been shown to have any effect on anything, ever.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Life formed and developed long before humans were around to invent any gods.... including yours.
Probability has nothing to do with anything.

There are natural, rational explanations for those things, MK. Even if we don't fully understand how they came to be, we are coming closer to understanding how they work.

There is no question that these things are fantastic, awe inspiring, and we would like to look at them as being on some higher plane, but there is no evidence to suggest that that is the case.

Too amazing? Argument from Incredulity. Just because you don't understand or cannot grasp these things, doesn't mean they have supernatural origin. Also, the idea that things have more meaning when there aren't natural, biological origins for the feelings/experiences behind them is spurious. While some might think it's nicer to think that way, that fact alone lends no veracity to the claim.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I can't make a comment - and it comes back - to whether it proves God or not. I wasn't talking about it proving God or even making his existence more likely. I was just talking about how life is amazing. Saying it's almost too good to be true, is just an expression not to be taken literally.
I prescribe a healthy dose of the Holmesian Maxim laced with a dash of Occam's Razor.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I can't make a comment - and it comes back - to whether it proves God or not. I wasn't talking about it proving God or even making his existence more likely. I was just talking about how life is amazing. Saying it's almost too good to be true, is just an expression not to be taken literally.

But the context of your post leaves an implied intent. You posted that life is almost too amazing to be an 'accident' on an atheist forum. How did you expect us to respond?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I can't make a comment - and it comes back - to whether it proves God or not. I wasn't talking about it proving God or even making his existence more likely. I was just talking about how life is amazing. Saying it's almost too good to be true, is just an expression not to be taken literally.

This amazing and wonderful world we live in is incredible and speaks volumes on what a great Creator we have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5637 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 980 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2768 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 988 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3685 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24722 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3947 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1307 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1637 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  My 2004 Ford C-max can do amazing things I_am_not_mafia 21 3165 March 16, 2018 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance