Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Armstrong Dead
Star 
Neil Armstrong Dead
Sad day.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19381098
RE: Neil Armstrong Dead
I remember watching the first moonwalk as a kid on a tiny black & white tv

I feel so old! Sad
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

All men die. Few get to walk on the moon, though.
Too bad he had to wait for so many years, and yet in vain, for more to follow in his footsteps.
It saddens me that these great men, went risking their lives in search of knowledge, some of wich did lose their lives, yet we have dipshit idiotic religionists that do nothing else but destroy what others have dearly built. It fucks me greatly that some idiot preaching on a mega buck making church can easily sway the masses of idiot sheeps with nothing but bullshit out of their asses, while others have worked so hard.

I guess it was a giant leap, but mankind wasn't ready to fully understand what it was Sad
Just saw this. I got a photo on my Facebook wall from the Mythbusters, captioned "Today we honor the legacy of Neil Armstrong. A man whose contributions to science and discovery are truly immeasurable." I thought nothing much of it, thinking it was his birthday or something. Then I saw this thread and my heart sank when I realised the earlier significance; almost immediately I saw it reported on BBC News as the top headline news. They covered his story for almost half the programme and I stopped everything to watch it.

A sad day indeed.

Here, in honour of the man, his life and his legacy, is the photo Mythbusters selected:

(August 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I remember watching the first moonwalk as a kid on a tiny black & white tv

I feel so old! Sad

I never got to see it live, but I was born in September of that same year so there's always been that connection for me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Sad indeed. I was born the following February and as Stimbo did, I assigned a connection to the event, particularly since I was born an hour south of where Neil was born. If you ever happen to get near Wapakoneta, Ohio take a few hours and visit the Armstrong Air and Space museum. Certainly not as large as the Air Force museum an hour south near Dayton, but well worth an afternoon.
In the 1960s, the US sent mankind into space, landed on the moon and was a country admired for its determination, exploration and ability to push scientific boundaries. In 2012 some states do not teach evolution.
And all this within my lifetime. Scary thought. Not my fault though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I remember watching the first moonwalk as a kid on a tiny black & white tv

I feel so old! Sad

Me too, I was in Selerang Barracks, Singapore; thrilled.

However, a scientific illiterate, I enjoyed the live Elvis broadcast from Las Vegas more (some months earlier) Tiger

I'm sure he will have a splendiferous funeral,which be be televised world wide. The net works will make a fortune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Neil's Day, Everyone! BrianSoddingBoru4 6 597 July 27, 2022 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Buddhist calendar and cosmologist Neil Turok Interaktive 18 1349 August 12, 2020 at 2:06 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks to a 9 year old. Napoléon 6 2201 January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Neil to Earth: Reality Check Creed of Heresy 4 2005 August 10, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson) Creed of Heresy 26 6322 August 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about the most astounding fact of the universe CleanShavenJesus 1 1347 July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Debate on FTL Neutrinos hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson NoMoreFaith 1 1739 March 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  Neil Tyson's sequels to the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan passionatefool 18 8909 March 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris