Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Neil's Day, Everyone!
Happy Neil's Day, Everyone!
[Image: 1175715.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Happy Neil's Day, Everyone!
I still recall his historic moon landing. I was in basic training at Ft. Gordon, GA at the time. My company was given the day off to watch the event on TV.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(July 21, 2022 at 6:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: I still recall his historic moon landing. I was in basic training at Ft. Gordon, GA at the time. My company was given the day off to watch the event on TV.

I don’t recall the event (it happened before I was born), but I’ve always felt it should be commemorated.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 21, 2022 at 6:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: I still recall his historic moon landing. I was in basic training at Ft. Gordon, GA at the time. My company was given the day off to watch the event on TV.

Apparently, everyone watched it that even the crime stopped for a few hours.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I once heard a kid say that the first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong. The second was Buzz Lightyear.....

Cool
I had a friend who was staying in a hotel in America, he walked out of his room and bumped into a guy walking down the corridor, turned out to be a Mr N. Armstrong.
He later told me he had never set foot on the Moon, but his foot had been stepped on by the foot that spepped on the Moon!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Buzz sells his moon jacket for $2.7

Quote:The in-flight coverall jacket features the historic Apollo 11 mission emblem and "E. Aldrin" for his full first name, Edwin. It is made of a fireproof, tightly woven silica fiber called Beta Cloth used in the production of Apollo spaceflight suits.

The sale, which took place at Sotheby's in New York, made the garment the most expensive jacket sold at auction, as well as the most valuable American artifact flown in space, according to a statement from the auction house.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/bu...index.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buddhist calendar and cosmologist Neil Turok Interaktive 18 1349 August 12, 2020 at 2:06 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5437 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks to a 9 year old. Napoléon 6 2201 January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Neil to Earth: Reality Check Creed of Heresy 4 2005 August 10, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson) Creed of Heresy 26 6322 August 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about the most astounding fact of the universe CleanShavenJesus 1 1347 July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Star Neil Armstrong Dead 5thHorseman 17 6131 August 27, 2012 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Debate on FTL Neutrinos hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson NoMoreFaith 1 1739 March 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  Neil Tyson's sequels to the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan passionatefool 18 8909 March 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris