Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Neil Armstrong Dead
[split] Neil Armstrong Dead
(August 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: In the 1960s, the US sent mankind into space, landed on the moon and was a country admired for its determination, exploration and ability to push scientific boundaries. In 2012 some states do not teach evolution.

Why bother teaching evolution?

It's only two sentences.

Random spooky stuff happens spontaneously. (mysterious mutation)

Plants/Animals adapt to changes over time. (Natural selection)

The bigger regret for me comparing 1960 with 2012 is this...

Looking for water (cost $386 million)

[Image: water-on-mars-5.jpg]

Looking for water (cost - unfunded)

[Image: TZ31_267_issue.jpg]

Pushing scientific boundaries?

Dont make me puke in my mouth!
RE: Neil Armstrong Dead
Quote:Pushing scientific boundaries?

Strawman fallacy;the two are unconnected. Just like saying "they can put a man on the moon but can't find a cure for (insert favourite illness or disease) "

Mohandas Gandhi said; "there is enough for every man's need, but not enough for every man's greed"

That we (that includes you and me) allow millions of human beings to starve to death or die for want of potable water has nothing to do with 'the boundaries of science' and every thing to do with self interest,greed and indifference

Kindly take your humbug self righteous indignation and shove it up your arse. Angry
(August 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(August 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: In the 1960s, the US sent mankind into space, landed on the moon and was a country admired for its determination, exploration and ability to push scientific boundaries. In 2012 some states do not teach evolution.

Why bother teaching evolution?

It's only two sentences.

Random spooky stuff happens spontaneously. (mysterious mutation)

Plants/Animals adapt to changes over time. (Natural selection)
Because it's true, that's why.
Quote:The bigger regret for me comparing 1960 with 2012 is this...

Pushing scientific boundaries?

But you have no problem with this?

[Image: megachurch.jpg]
And thanks for taking a memorial to a great man and turning into your own little rant.

As to Neil, no matter what humanity does, not matter where it goes in the universe, he will always be the first to stand on another world.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
We have no need to look for water on Mars. There is ample evidence that liquid water once flowed there and very good evidence that it has done so recently, perhaps even as we speak. That was not the purpose of any of the Mars missions. (Also there were no successful probe missions in 1960; certainly no landings and definitely not Martian ones. Your knowledge of the history of space exploration appears to be as skewed as your knowledge of biblical history.)

Notwithstanding this Luddite attitude to the acqusition of human knowledge, consider this. Where do you suppose all this money that funds space exploration is spent? I'll give you a clue: you live on it. If you're as concerned as you wish to appear about the very real plight of the poorest people in the world, do what I do and get up off your arse and contribute to charities that actually try to alleviate such suffering. Let's try to make a real difference by making sure that the aid actually goes to the people who need it to survive, instead of being creamed off by the links in the chain, from corrupt rebel forces to random tinpot warlords out to make a legacy for themselves by standing on the skeletons of the people they oppress.

Or you could try praying, if you want to pretend you're trying to do everything to help short of actually doing anything to help.

(August 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: And thanks for taking a memorial to a great man and turning into your own little rant.

I actually threw up in my mouth when our friend did that.

(August 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: As to Neil, no matter what humanity does, not matter where it goes in the universe, he will always be the first to stand on another world.

Indeed. It's a record that still stands to this day.

However, did you know that Buzz Aldrin was and always wil be the first man to urinate on another world?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Pushing scientific boundaries?

Strawman fallacy;the two are unconnected. Just like saying "they can put a man on the moon but can't find a cure for (insert favourite illness or disease) "

What are you talking about? There no fallacy in saying money would be better spent elsewhere. I'm not saying we CANT provide clean water for a mother and her baby. I'M SAYING WE CAN !!!

(August 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm)padraic Wrote: Kindly take your humbug self righteous indignation and shove it up your arse. Angry

No, actually you are asking me to shove it up these peoples'

[Image: starvation.jpg]
And I'm saying the money is spent elsewhere, as well as funding space missions. The money that put the Eagle on the Moon was spent here, on Earth, where it got recycled into the economy. Whether it was a strawman fallacy or not I don't know, sometimes I find it hard to keep up with you lot. However, I do recognise a fallacy of equivocation when I see it. You're implying, no actually you're stating outright, that there is a pot of money which can either go to feed the genuinely hungry of the world or get frittered away on pointless space missions. Why are there so many people around with binary brains? Not everything is either black or white, you know. Ever heard of shades of grey (and I don't mean the book)?

Yes, money goes into funding space missions. Money also goes into funding aid for the starving people of the world. What about all the money spent making all those Hollywood blockbusters every year? I guarantee, there's more cash changing hands in the creation of one summer's crop of new films than the entire space exploration budget for the year, or longer. Why aren't you protesting the new Spiderman and pointless Total Recall remakes? How many bellies do you reckon could be filled with those sort of budgets?

Incidentally, I also recognise appeals to emotion. We're all painfully well aware of the terrible plight of these poor people. Posting emotionally-charged pictures isn't doing anything to help. I have no magic wand to make it all go away; if I had, I would use it without a second thought, because that's the kind of guy I am. I really, genuinely want to take all the innocent and hurting people in the world into my arms and make everything better; I'm on record elsewhere as saying this. Why do you insist on playing the guilt-trip card? What have you done lately to help the poor kids in those photos?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: But you have no problem with this?

Whats wrong with thousands of people putting money into church collection bowls - it's called charity.

It helps run soup kitchens and homeless shelters and clean water projects....HERE ON EARTH!
I expect you'll get around to considering my words once you've finished playing the poor martyred hero. Your good-guy-type white hat's looking a bit tatty at the moment though.

@ mods: can we split this thread please? This is not about paying tribute to a great historic figure anymore.
(August 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(August 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: But you have no problem with this?

Whats wrong with thousands of people putting money into church collection bowls - it's called charity.

It helps run soup kitchens and homeless shelters and clean water projects....HERE ON EARTH!

Rather than attempt to twist the outcome of the search for knowledge, this low class monkey brained anti-scientist comes right out and argues for outright complacence in ignorance.

And as expected, touts the false charity of 99% outright deceit and 1% self-deluding feel-good perpetuation of ignorance of christianity, of the type that leads as surely as night follows day to the knocking out the pillar out from the necessary platform for continued existence of entire mankind.
Quote:Whats wrong with thousands of people putting money into church collection bowls - it's called charity.

Bullshit.... it's called another Rolls-Royce for some cocksucking preacher.

How fucking naive are you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7776 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Neil deGrasse Tyson off the hook! chimp3 5 1230 March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1437 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 757 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13782 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28730 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10218 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  [split] Warm Greetings - The Not Welcome-y Stuff BrianSoddingBoru4 74 7870 May 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  [split] FSTDT Fundie Of The Year Awards 2015 Rev. Rye 173 39927 February 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Shooting clubs [split from Abiogenesis is impossible] DramaQueen 27 4037 August 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger