Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on gay mariage
My views on gay mariage
As most Americans probably know, there is a debate going on right now on whether or not same-sex couples should have the legal privilege to marry. My opinion is that they SHOULD be given this privilege. My reasoning is very simple. The first amendment of the Bill of Rights gives us a few freedoms, one being freedom of religion. I think if our citizens have freedom of religion, than so should our laws. Once you get past religion, same-sex marriage is just a certain group of people not getting a privilege that everyone else DOES get. This has happened before. For example, women were not allowed to vote in presidential elections, colored people had to give up bus seats to white people, etc. They all got their rights in the end, and I believe this should turn out the same.
RE: My views on gay mariage
They most certainly should, as this is a basic human right. The simple fact that our secular government even considers not allowing same-sex couples to marry because of religious arguments blows my mind. What I would like to know (and I apologize MeasH, I really am not trying to steer your thread in a different direction) is: If any atheists or agnostics DO NOT believe that same-sex couples should have this right, what are your arguments? I know of two folks (one identifying himself as an atheist and the other as an agnostic) who both argue that same-sex couples should not be allowed to marry, and I have yet to hear acceptable arguments as to why.
... Escaping Delusion ...

"Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching." - Dogbert
My suggestion? Laci here gets it. Let the churches call it whatever they want; as far as the government is concerned, they only do civil unions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmVzC40AEaE
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Things are starting to heat up with the same-sex marriage thang here in Scotland. The Scottish government seems to be going ahead with legalising it and we are just getting shit like this is the news all the time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19383571

It is pretty much just a bunch of middle aged arseholes trying to say that it will doom society.

This is a bunch of different reactions to the decision from people here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-sc...s-18981288

I see it this all as a good thing. Not only does it give same sex couples equal rights to marriage, it also lets you know who the real bigots are around you. It is a topic that you can always bring up. Tongue
Cunt
I keep hearing about "A letter condemning the Scottish Parliament's support for gay marriage has been read out in churches across Scotland". Good for you, catholics. Now leave the law - making to the politicians, and stop thinking you have any semblance of justification to interfere with peoples' rights.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
They keep on writing these letters. There has been quite a few in the past year... most by this one guy. Tongue
Cunt
(August 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm)frankiej Wrote: They keep on writing these letters. There has been quite a few in the past year... most by this one guy. Tongue

Maybe he's got nothing better to do. He is probably celibate after all.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Ah, those crazy celibate catholics. They certainly are a funny lot.
Cunt
(August 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm)frankiej Wrote: Ah, those crazy celibate catholics. They certainly are a funny lot.

Weirdly, some of them take it seriously. They can't have got the memo.
Just thought of this:

Traditional Irish marriage proposal (he to she) "How would you like to be buried with my people?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views? Seraphina 70 9598 January 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Trump Says His Views on Gays are "Evolving" Rhondazvous 19 2129 April 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What are your political views? Catholic_Lady 57 12799 July 18, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Your views on MARRIAGE Catholic_Lady 213 35026 July 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 23296 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  An UNBIASED summary of the candidates' views? MetalSifu789 39 17893 July 14, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Your political views Justtristo 41 12520 December 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch