Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:51 am

Poll: Are you for or against it?
This poll is closed.
for
17.24%
10 17.24%
against
82.76%
48 82.76%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll)
Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll)
This applies to the modern day civilized societies where there is means/technology to provide life in prison.

Please explain your answer.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll)
Against.  The death penalty is a sentence that, once done, cannot be undone, and one that cannot be survived.  We have a dismal record of convicting innocent people -and that's only counting the ones we know about.....we don't even have a reasonable explanation as to -why- we would kill a person rather than incarcerate them in the first place. It's just one of those things we do.......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Opposed, nothing to add beyond what Rhythm had to say.
In a liberal-capitalist society? No, that's an obvious answer. Too much money spent, no deterrence effect, waste of human resources and potential - We can rehabilitate many people if we truly work hard for it - Money and professionals are needed, but it's possible - Unless we're talking about a psychopath with ingrained tendencies to hurt other members of society, everyone can be rehabilitated... Our societies still base justice on an archaic conception of punishment and retribution - The "what if it was your family?" argument - It's an appeal to emotions and revenge. We can do better, and it's more profitable to re-socialize people and put them to work in something they're good at.

I'd go one step further and say retribution should simply cease to exist. Criminal punishment should seek prevention only - Whether it's by imprisoning someone for life because they are unable to function properly without damaging others; rehabilitating someone who committed a crime trough therapy or medication or simply trying to intimidate the rest of society trough deterrence.

There is a belief that though punishment leads to less crime - The truth is criminals get used to punishment. If you have lived for 30 years in a society where being executed for theft is normal, you will see it as regular punishment and still engage in thievery if you want to. On short-term cases increasing penalties can temporarily lead to a decrease in criminality, but on the long run it's useless.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Absolutely against it, under any circumstances.

The main crux of this admittedly hardline view is essentially this; Once a life is taken by the state, it has been brought down to the same level as those it has executed. One of the main responsibilities of a truly civilised society is to set an example for others to follow, and by endorsing death as a punishment for a crime, that society becomes implicit in murder.

In my view, the very act of resisting the moblike urge to kill those who commit the worst crimes sends a message, that being; we are better than this, and we are better than those who committed this act.

The death penalty does not work as a deterrent, it never has. It serves no practical purpose apart from a fleeting and ultimately hollow sense of satisfaction gleaned by those that bay for blood. It cannot be reversed in cases where the condemned has been proven to be innocent after the fact. And it speaks volumes about a society that would rather end the lives of criminals permanently than make any efforts towards their rehabilitation.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Against.
What Rhythm said. Also, even if we had a way to assure we had guilty people, the death penalty is not a good option.
It does not deter crime.
It does not cost less than life in prison.
It is NOT humane.

Also, there is much to be learned from people who commit heinous crimes, and you can't learn much from dead people.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
There are cases where I think you could argue that the death penalty would be moral, take Anders Breivik for example - there's no redeeming that guy, we absolutely know that he's guilty, he's un-repentant. The only option we have with someone like that is to keep them in a cell for the rest of their life with no hope of release or execute them. As for the argument that the death penalty make us all murderers, lowers us to being a barbaric society and so on, again using Breivik as an example there are some people who I think it reflects badly upon us if we let them live - there aren't many of these people, don't get me wrong

I voted against though, you can't have it across the board for certain crimes mainly because we don't have perfect information, even if we did I would only reserve it for the "monsters"
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Against in all but the most exceptional circumstances (war criminals, mass murderers etc).

I don't believe in it because I think rehabilitation and preventional measures are more worth it. Why spend so much money on killing criminals when we could be spending it on trying to prevent crime in the first place? It's a waste.

Also there's always the chance of executing someone innocent.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(June 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: There are cases where I think you could argue that the death penalty would be moral, take Anders Breivik for example - there's no redeeming that guy, we absolutely know that he's guilty, he's un-repentant. The only option we have with someone like that is to keep them in a cell for the rest of their life with no hope of release or execute them. As for the argument that the death penalty make us all murderers, lowers us to being a barbaric society and so on, again using Breivik as an example there are some people who I think it reflects badly upon us if we let them live - there aren't many of these people, don't get me wrong

I voted against though, you can't have it across the board for certain crimes mainly because we don't have perfect information, even if we did I would only reserve it for the "monsters"

Breivik won't live long after he leaves jail Tongue

But seriously - I don't know if he was a psychopath, I think he was just deeply committed to his ideology and believed to be doing the right thing - This is the behaviour of any fundamentalist, and sometimes it can be changed if we treat the person on time... There are some ex-radical muslims now criticizing terrorism because they left the extreme faction they used to belong to. It's hard, but not impossible.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 18, 2015 at 8:08 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Against in all but the most exceptional circumstances (war criminals, mass murderers etc).

I don't believe in it because I think rehabilitation and preventional measures are more worth it. Why spend so much money on killing criminals when we could be spending it on trying to prevent crime in the first place? It's a waste.

Also there's always the chance of executing someone innocent.

It's at least four per cent in the US.  WAY too many innocent people faced the DP.  I'm against it 100% unless a convict asks for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_e...ted_States
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 45 1579 January 9, 2024 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included) BrianSoddingBoru4 21 1388 October 4, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14485 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Anonymous Poll on political ideology A Handmaid 77 22474 August 26, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views? Seraphina 70 9490 January 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 676 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Ought To Run A Poll Minimalist 7 1028 October 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Death Penalty Vote brewer 55 8742 October 12, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1792 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Answer about poll methodology in response. Brian37 0 449 June 19, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Brian37