Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I must read The Bible for school!
Sad 
I must read The Bible for school!
I just went to high school,now i have been here for 3 days and today my teacher said that we must read the bible for our home reading.

I told here that im not reading that,and I actually came with her into discussion about religion. Although i gave here all arguments about the disprove of existence of god,she acted like an religion fanatic. So enough about this.

My question is,what should i do,should i read it and rewrite those illogical thinking or should i just copy that test from another student
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

RE: I must read The Bible for school!
That depends on whether you are told to read bible as 1. literature, 2. historical exhibit, 3. reference for the dictates you are to obey and propositions you are to believe.

I would read it for 1, and 2, and quit the school that would even try 3.
Just treat it like a novel man. There is some good stuff in there if you take it as a work of fiction, or like you would read greek mythology. Just remember to jump all the "so and so begat so and so begat" bits.
(September 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm)Homo Sapiens Wrote: My question is,what should i do,should i read it and rewrite those illogical thinking or should i just copy that test from another student

Quote parts of the bible they don't want you to read.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Read Song of Solomon and write a report comparing it to ancient and modern erotic literature.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(September 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(September 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm)Homo Sapiens Wrote: My question is,what should i do,should i read it and rewrite those illogical thinking or should i just copy that test from another student

Quote parts of the bible they don't want you to read.

Challenge accepted,hope i get an A+ for doing that,First think i will do is to mention how adam screwed eveand then blacks magically appears,and 7 billion people.

(September 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm)Chuck Wrote: That depends on whether you are told to read bible as 1. literature, 2. historical exhibit, 3. reference for the dictates you are to obey and propositions you are to believe.

I would read it for 1, and 2, and quit the school that would even try 3.
I dont know i think that the teacher wants that we take it as literature,history texture and about all might god.

also this school isnt a religious one,we have on physics teacher that worked in japan in a big science research centre,he has a PhD from science,and he is so smart that he is acting really strange or more stupid to be more accurate ,he is also writing a new mathematics formula Tongue.

I only think that the teacher who gave us that cursed book is religions thats all.And all other teachers seems to be agnostic and atheists.

Also thanks for your replays
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

Read the babble, then make notes of all the contradictions, logical errors, and other clearly innacurate bits. (Could be a long set of notes though!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

What subject do you have to read it for? If it's anything other than cultural studies I'd tell them to get stuffed.
Just read it, it's worth it for the lulz and for the history lesson.

Read up on King James. It's worth it because you find out other stuff like how it was translated and the tedium of the book becomes less so.
When I was in high school I never read anything that was boring, even if I was being tested on it, but now that I am more mature(sort of) I would suggest reading it to pass the class. Just think of as an adventure to remind you why you don't believe in fairy-tales.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1226 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1301 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44091 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2207 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5362 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Fundy home school - 13 kids rescued drfuzzy 2 968 January 16, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3376 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The church in my school yard Der/die AtheistIn 12 1996 August 25, 2017 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Australia church abuse: Priests 'must report' confessions zebo-the-fat 77 12839 August 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18587 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus