Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we have a rule that bans swearing?
Should we have a rule that bans swearing?
We had a rule in the past that was similar to this; that any insult on people would result in a warning. We removed that rule because it wasn't being actively moderated, and most of us were probably guilty of doing it at least once.

Since then, we've introduced a rule concerning "personal attacks", i.e directed insults that are not there for any reason but to attack the person they are aimed at (as opposed to in response to someone saying something you either find stupid, or disagree with).

Of course, this has led to people being insulting again, and confusion over what exactly the leeway is between an insult and a personal attack.

So this is just a general question for discussion. Should we ban insults / swearing from the forums? If so, how far should we go? If not, what other ideas do you have to make sure these forums focus on civil discussion?
RE: Should we have a rule that bans swearing?
Quote:So this is just a general question for discussion. Should we ban insults / swearing from the forums? If so, how far should we go? If not, what other ideas do you have to make sure these forums focus on civil discussion?

From experience on other forums,I think there needs to be some rules of conduct. It may seem odd coming from me. I'm aware I can be really nasty. That's often due to frustration and later regretted. In truth ,few [if any] of us know each other well enough to hurl personal insults.

I have no problem with "that's a stupid/ignorant thing to say -- BECAUSE X Y Z" I DO have a problem with "YOU"RE stupid/ignorant---"

Shorty after I first arrived here, I called someone a "drongo". (fool) I was quietly and informally chided ,no formal warning.I think that's the way to go. Perhaps one or two informal and private warnings,followed by suspension say for a week. No formal warnings. Thee is no need to publicly embarrass people;this is an internet forum,not a schoolroom.

A word on Trolls: My position is ZERO TOLERANCE of Trolls. I would like to see them banned on sight and any posts deleted.

Addendum: I have no problem with most expletives.However, I find constant use of coarse language suggestive of a lazy mind. I DO have problems with racial and religious insults,and feel free to say something unkind to the culprit.
I'd say I think that sounds pretty reasonable padraic.

And on the matter of swearing, as in mere 'swear words' in and of themselves - I can't say I know what would be best for the forum in the long run but for whatever it's worth; I'd rather not ban them all.

And certainly not the mild ones ("shit" included as mild in my books!).

EvF
Fuck no.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
We should have no rule for it. The rule you need is already in the etiquette: "Insulting or offensive content will be deleted immediately. This includes unreasonable personal attacks on members, posting angry rants with no real objective, and spamming people with a large number of swear words instead of making a point."

Personally, though I have no impeccable track record myself, I think that someone who uses a lot af bad language aimed at people, should understand that this offenses people and is aggressive verbal behaviour. In such a case this behaviour has clearly insulting intent. Claiming a personal excuse (it's in my nature, I can't hide it, or things like that) are complete bull. You have a rule or not, privileges for some show weakness of moderation.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I think this forum, for it's type, manages to stay very balanced. The best I've come across anyway. It's understandable people will feel frustrated, although the result of venting is always a pointless exchange.

I really like Pedraic's points. Gentle chiding and treating people as adults seems the way to go. Zero tolerance for extremes is also good.

Agree with Pedraic's addendum too. You're on fire today Bruce! Big Grin
Swearing and insults really have nothing to do with each other from what I can see. Personal attacks of any kind, including insults should not be welcome but, words are merely words. They have literally only the value that the person hearing them assigns them.

I vote swearing should be just fine, if people are offended by it it's because they choose to take offense over a word. Rather than insults which are much more specific expressions.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I totally agree Daura.

EvF
I don't see it being an issue....

There comes a point to where you have tried everything in explaining something simple to a religious bigot, to where in the end simply telling him to go fuck him/her self is about the only information he/she would actually understand...

So no, I do not these forums need to change rules to what we have now....Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(July 17, 2009 at 6:08 pm)Samson Wrote: There comes a point to where you have tried everything in explaining something simple to a religious bigot, to where in the end simply telling him to go fuck him/her self is about the only information he/she would actually understand...

I couldn't agree more but I don't think Adrian would agree with that though I'm sure he'll confirm or deny.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arbitrary bans Huggy Bear 27 3663 February 17, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6303 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 3018 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 4795 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 5977 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Trolling rule Excited Penguin 61 7647 November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should we have a "Get well soon Richard Dawkins" Banner? Vincenzo Vinny G. 11 2004 March 9, 2016 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  R'lyeh rule Excited Penguin 54 5662 February 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Report System Abuse Rule Excited Penguin 20 3492 February 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  30/30 Rule Pyrrho 31 8000 February 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope