Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creationism
Creationism
Any info on these mooncats?

I just found out they use their own species classification model, barrymans or something. Bizarre.

Since I'm not American I wouldn't know much about this, although apparently it all began in Northern Ireland, my home. Just recently a government minister called for creation science to be taught in schools here. Huh

So more info would be appreciated, I got the historical origins of the phenomena, however I am unaware of how it has developed into the 21st Century. (Barimins? Are you serious?)

Some humurous anecdotes would also be appreciated.
RE: Creationism
Creationists divide animals into "kinds" (like the Bible says, Noah took every "kind" of animal on board the Ark). However, they do not actually ever explain what a kind is.

They hint that one "kind" of animal cannot evolve into another "kind" of animal but can evolve amongst their "kind", and that foxes, dogs, wolves are all the same "kind", which is paradoxical because if you can admit evolution on this scale, I can't see how you can deny it on any larger scales.

It has developed into the 21st century by taking on the guise of "Intelligent Design", which although is slightly less absurd, still has no actual proof or evidence to back it up.
Well it's certainly very convenient the "kinds" being so vague because that way it's very easy to jump out with the - also vague - special pleading! The "Kind" is only as vague or specific as required by the "faith" of the creationist(s) in question methinks!

EvF
(July 17, 2009 at 2:01 pm)Anto Kennedy Wrote: Just recently a government minister called for creation science to be taught in schools here. Huh

What's wrong with that? It's a religious POV and should be taught in RE if that's what they want to teach.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 17, 2009 at 5:30 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(July 17, 2009 at 2:01 pm)Anto Kennedy Wrote: Just recently a government minister called for creation science to be taught in schools here. Huh

What's wrong with that? It's a religious POV and should be taught in RE if that's what they want to teach.

Kyu
Everything is wrong with that! "Creation Science" (keyword "science") should not be taught in schools, period. "Creationism" in R.E sure, but we don't teach alchemy as a valid scientific concept, nor should we teach creation "science" as a valid scientific concept.
(July 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

Kyu
Everything is wrong with that! "Creation Science" (keyword "science") should not be taught in schools, period. "Creationism" in R.E sure, but we don't teach alchemy as a valid scientific concept, nor should we teach creation "science" as a valid scientific concept.

That's interesting. I know our local HS RE teach is a strong creationist and has anti evolution posters on his wall for example. The problem with it is that it does make scientific claims even though only from the RE classroom. He's actually a very intelligent debator and even his staunch atheist colleagues seem to put up with him to an extent.

Kyu

In the science classroom, not in RE.

I wouldn't even like to see it in RE either. Never was taught that in my Catholic school. We learned about love, compassion, the gospels, history of Israel & Rome, the five pillars of Islam and even some Hindu studies. Then there's the big contemporary issues such as abortion and euthanasia, and we were allowed to express our own conflicting views if required.
(July 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Everything is wrong with that! "Creation Science" (keyword "science") should not be taught in schools, period. "Creationism" in R.E sure, but we don't teach alchemy as a valid scientific concept, nor should we teach creation "science" as a valid scientific concept.

I think you misunderstood me.

If we teach other religious PsOV in RE then creationism should be taught there ... personally I don't think specific religions should be taught at all, that RE should be ABOUT religions but there you go.

I said what I said because one of the viewpoints theists (theists who are pro-science) often advance is that creationism is not only poor science it's poor religion and I'm afraid I think it (creationism) embodies everything a "good" religion should be ... like every other religion it's B/S, it's just even more so than the rest!

(July 17, 2009 at 7:33 pm)Anto Kennedy Wrote: In the science classroom, not in RE.

Oh I knew that ... I was being cynical.

(July 17, 2009 at 7:33 pm)Anto Kennedy Wrote: I wouldn't even like to see it in RE either. Never was taught that in my Catholic school. We learned about love, compassion, the gospels, history of Israel & Rome, the five pillars of Islam and even some Hindu studies. Then there's the big contemporary issues such as abortion and euthanasia, and we were allowed to express our own conflicting views if required.

See my point to Adrian above .. the RE classroom is EXACTLY where it belongs.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Creation science is an oxymoran.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
oxymoron.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creationism Foxaèr 203 11395 August 23, 2020 at 2:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7069 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 2911 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10640 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2014 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Creationism in UK Schools Chuff 10 5520 August 3, 2012 at 9:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Foundational Falsehood of Creationism Gooders1002 10 7491 May 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Heff
  Lewis Black on creationism orogenicman 7 3798 April 14, 2012 at 9:04 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Creationism Liu Bei mixed with Leondias 77 17648 September 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Opie and Anthony Show Tackles Creationism darkblight 0 1394 May 30, 2011 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: darkblight