Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe I never was a Christian?
Maybe I never was a Christian?
When I tell Christians that I was once a devout christian, and that I only converted to atheism when presented with the evidence, I'm often told that I was never really a true Christian, because if I was, I never would have turned from God.

I used to think of that as a cop out, as a way of a Christian declaring that you were never in the same position as them, and therefore have no grounding to argue that point. However, I'm not so sure I think that way anymore. Perhaps I never really was a Christian. After all, when I present any Christian (or person of any other faith for that matter), with the same evidence that convinced me that it was bollocks, they will quite easily shrug it off and carry on frolicking in ignorance. Why? Why is it that the same evidence that convinced me isn't enough to convince them? The only hypothesis I can come up with, is that of insanity. For example if I replace "Christian" in my first statement, with the word "insane", then the statement absolutely rings true.

When I tell insane people that I was once insane, and that I only converted to sanity when presented with the evidence, I'm often told that I was never really insane, because if I was, I would never have turned from insanity
RE: Maybe I never was a Christian?
I don't think it is possible to be a devout christian or a true christian however you want to put it. To me you can only be a follower because almost nobody can live up to the expectations of the bible. Not saying there hasn't been a perfect christian (rofl). Just saying that I seriously doubt it. Especially since one can sin in thought alone.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(September 14, 2012 at 2:03 am)JohnDG Wrote: I don't think it is possible to be a devout christian or a true christian however you want to put it. To me you can only be a follower because almost nobody can live up to the expectations of the bible. Not saying there hasn't been a perfect christian (rofl). Just saying that I seriously doubt it. Especially since one can sin in thought alone.

devout (adj) - Devoted to religion or to the fulfillment of religious obligations.

It's true that no one could possibly live up to "Bible standards", especially considering the contradictions involved, but one can be devoted their interpretation of the religion, which would make them devout nonetheless, and sinning doesn't negate devotion.
I have a pentacostal friend who you would consider devoted to his religion but funny thing is he commits every sin in the book. I just can't consider those who sin purposely devoted to religion in any way. He might as well tell me he believes it's wrong but he will do it anyways.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Quote:I'm often told that I was never really a true Christian,

True Christian is the description of every xtian fool who thinks he "is" and you "aren't."

Ignore them.
I see your point. It's pretty much impossible to be devout without being a hypocrite.

(September 14, 2012 at 2:24 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I'm often told that I was never really a true Christian,

True Christian is the description of every xtian fool who thinks he "is" and you "aren't."

Ignore them.

I wish I could... I know it's pointless, but there's always a little part of me thinking, "I can totally change his/her mind! I can show him the evidence and then he'll see! Sure, nothing has convinced him/her thus far, but my argument will totally change his/her mind!"

I guess ignorance isn't reserved for the religious...
Were you ever filled with the Holy Spirit? If not, then you were never a Christian. If so, then I don't know what to say other than believing that a Christian will always be a Christian.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(September 14, 2012 at 3:13 am)Polaris Wrote: Were you ever filled with the Holy Spirit? If not, then you were never a Christian. If so, then I don't know what to say other than believing that a Christian will always be a Christian.

I was. I also spoke in tongues. Perhaps I didn't do it right, but I was prophesied over, and told that it was clear that Jesus filled me and that I would grow to become an influence to many.
(September 14, 2012 at 3:20 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote:
(September 14, 2012 at 3:13 am)Polaris Wrote: Were you ever filled with the Holy Spirit? If not, then you were never a Christian. If so, then I don't know what to say other than believing that a Christian will always be a Christian.

I was. I also spoke in tongues.

Wouldn't that be like saying that you swam in the ocean later to say that you don't believe oceans exist?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(September 14, 2012 at 3:22 am)Polaris Wrote:
(September 14, 2012 at 3:20 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote: I was. I also spoke in tongues.

Wouldn't that be like saying that you swam in the ocean later to say that you don't believe oceans exist?

I desperately wanted it to be true. I convinced myself that it was real. I was standing in the desert pretending I was in the ocean.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6324 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3672 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2510 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5151 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 9804 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  What if christianity never existed ? Torin 80 7806 September 14, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: abaris
  God of the gaps... maybe? Exian 18 2437 February 7, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Never Grow Tired Rhondazvous 12 2730 May 22, 2015 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  It is never Ok, OP/ED Brian37 24 5141 February 15, 2015 at 5:51 am
Last Post: jesus_wept