Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Grow Tired
Never Grow Tired
sometimes I wonder, why tell my story. Why I left the Church stories are so prolific that they sound boiler plate. Yet, we must never grow tired of hearing and telling what we've experienced. Rest assured, Christians will never tire of telling their lies.

One of the founding fathers of the US was supposed to have advised that we don't bother answering fools because the average man will eventually see through the foolishness and reject it. Sad to say, this has not proven to be sound advice. Christians may be fools, but they did not spread their lies so prolifically by being dummies. They know what they are doing and we must always be ready to answer them. We must always remember what it was that enlightened us.  Otherwise, we could get caught up in their continued pathos and quasi-logos. It's so easy to slip into doing what everyone else is doing. So hard to stand our ground when we stand alone.  Our stories will gird us up and keep us reminded of why we stand.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Never Grow Tired
Meh. I feel a tenuous hold on my newly found atheism. My story is complex, and, I've learned from my own story that each deconversion is intensely unique. I'm not sure sharing deconversion stories is as influential as just pointing out the flaws in religious belief in general. Even if a person is ready to be moved, they likely will not be so moved by the particulars of your story as they are by the generalities..... maybe.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That's the first I've heard of a solid statement on your beliefs, Jor. Smile Then again, I haven't been as active lately, so I might have missed something.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
As Rhonda says, the other side will never stop so neither must we. They just won't freaking quit - even on lost-cause subjects like evolution vs. creationism which they lost 100 years ago.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
We all know that indoctrination is a very emotional conditioning.
Only emotion can undo it!
Not cold hard scientific facts!

Aractus, Jor, any truth in this?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 21, 2015 at 9:35 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Meh.  I feel a tenuous hold on my newly found atheism.

Whoa, I missed something obviously.
Funny, I always thought that Jor was an atheist, but then something recently made me think otherwise, in spite of myself. But now your profile does say atheist.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(May 21, 2015 at 9:07 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:

Our stories will gird us up and keep us reminded of why we stand.

What do we stand for again?

I'm all for sharing stories, but I think the best use is to encourage new atheists and give them hope that the world isn't going to fall apart now that they realized god isn't real. 
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 21, 2015 at 9:07 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: sometimes I wonder, why tell my story. Why I left the Church stories are so prolific that they sound boiler plate. Yet, we must never grow tired of hearing and telling what we've experienced. Rest assured, Christians will never tire of telling their lies.

One of the founding fathers of the US was supposed to have advised that we don't bother answering fools because the average man will eventually see through the foolishness and reject it. Sad to say, this has not proven to be sound advice. Christians may be fools, but they did not spread their lies so prolifically by being dummies. They know what they are doing and we must always be ready to answer them. We must always remember what it was that enlightened us.  Otherwise, we could get caught up in their continued pathos and quasi-logos. It's so easy to slip into doing what everyone else is doing. So hard to stand our ground when we stand alone.  Our stories will gird us up and keep us reminded of why we stand.

I don't disagree with this statement.  But it will always be an uphill battle for an atheist.  They label us as "Evil" and all sorts of other nasty things, we just call them people.  (Delusional people, but still 'people').  It's hard to fight that kind of stigma.  A saying comes to mind:

"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level than beat you with experience."

There may be no perfect set of parameters, and I'm starting to believe religion will likely be around forever, in some form or another.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(May 21, 2015 at 9:52 pm)Losty Wrote: ...

I'm all for sharing stories, but I think the best use is to encourage new atheists and give them hope that the world isn't going to fall apart now that they realized god isn't real. 

I agree.  It is useful for a new atheist to hear about how others went through deconversion.  It is, or can be, an unpleasant experience.  But having gone through it more than half my lifetime ago, I am very happy that I deconverted.  I am much happier now than I ever was as a Christian.  I have no worries that I am going to screw something up just before I die and then end up in hell for eternity.

I feel much more peaceful and calm than I did as a believer.

That, of course, is not why I am an atheist.  But it is a nice fringe benefit.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3686 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2514 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5157 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 9839 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  What if christianity never existed ? Torin 80 7828 September 14, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: abaris
  It is never Ok, OP/ED Brian37 24 5143 February 15, 2015 at 5:51 am
Last Post: jesus_wept
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 6679 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  A thought never had BlackSwordsman 28 6450 May 18, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  15 things to NEVER say to an atheist Napoléon 22 8561 January 22, 2014 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Mystical
  15 things to never say to an atheist Nightfoot92 12 3780 September 16, 2013 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Simsim